Just a friendly reminder

Big5er

I teach "street survival" schools here in Fla.  One of the most common eye opening moments for teens is the concept of not letting other people drive their vehicle. If you insist on cruising next to the same person at the same speed then you lose an important option if you need to make an emergency choice. You just let the other guy drive your car for you. This is even more important in a rig 70ft long and 40k lbs.  And if you've ever seen a trailer start wagging back and forth after a blow out, you would never want to drive beside on again.

The 2nd eye opening thing is the number of PARENTS that will text their teens DURING on course exercises. REALLY? could you not have waited 30 minutes to give a "good job" ? Of all the students that I've taught over the years,  the VAST majority admit to being in the car while their parents text and drive. 

When people text my phone when I am driving. I let my teenage daughter do the work of responding (she's ALMOST" as sarcastic as I am). If my wife does the texting it is almost always polite with no sarcasm at all. Truth is, as RVs we probably aren't traveling alone. There is NO/NONE/ZERO reason to have the driver playing with a phone.

We tend to rely on active cruise and lane maintenance devices and abs, But truth is YOU are responsible for the safe operation of YOUR truck. I'm "probably" through ranting now. :)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like your rant.  I believe the new electronic "safety features" are creating a lot of careless operators.  I want no distractions when I drive.  If my phone rings either my wife answers it, or I'll listen to a voice mail once I'm stopped.

And yes, one of the worst offenders is my mom (87 next week).  This morning, I was hauling grain to the elevator.  When I didn't pick up right away, she called again.  Old people..............

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

This is what kills me about the autonomous driving cheerleaders, the human is suppose to be the back up in adverse driving conditions.  Well if the driver has little to no experience in good driving conditions how/why are we expecting them to take over in adverse driving conditions?

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Howdy All,

"I", for one think and feel that a lot of this new technology that is being put into cars and trucks is only going to make the problem of distracted driving WORSE.  If you need a computer of some sort to keep you in your lane, apply your brakes, adjust your speed or park your car in my personal opinion you should have NEVER been issued a drivers license.

Seriously, all of this new tech is supposed to save lives, when in fact all is does is allow idiots to survive when they would do the world a service by being eliminated from the gene pool if it weren't for this new tech.  The only good that I can see from this is that it probably does save the lives of innocent people who did nothing wrong but may have been killed by the other idiot who if they had to exhibit skills other then being able to fog a mirror where never allowed on the road to begin with.

Along with it being darned near impossible to maintain a safe following distance, my other pet peeve is people who have absolutely no concept of how to enter the flow of traffic on a freeway or do the zipper type merge when coming to an area where the number of lanes decreases.  Add to that the idiot who will not disturb their damned cruise control and allow to you make a pass by simply speeding up or slowing down a couple of miles per hour so that you can change lanes and go on about your business.  Or the people who pace each other blocking multiple lanes so no one can pass, neutered trucks are not the only ones who practice this form of idiocy.

Yes, I am on a roll today, the "Cob" side of my personality is running rampant, its a good thing I am not on the road, doing "honey do" stuff is not good for my frame of mind.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Agree with stay out of the heavy traffic areas. I have begun to really hate the interstates. I know that the two lanes are slower(that's the red roads on the paper map) but somewhat safer. 

Agree with stay out of the packs.  When I first started driving, 1958,my father beat that into my head, among many other things, "Maintain a bubble around that gives you options."

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

My pet peeve are the idiots that won’t merge when it goes to one lane for road work or otherwise.  These folks are the same that probably cut in line at the buffet.  I’ve actually had some that passed not on the shoulder but actually in the grass off the shoulder to cut the merge line. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

6 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

My pet peeve are the idiots that won’t merge when it goes to one lane for road work or otherwise.  These folks are the same that probably cut in line at the buffet.  I’ve actually had some that passed not on the shoulder but actually in the grass off the shoulder to cut the merge line. 

Carl that is what I like about you...you are so tolerant. My pet peeve is....well, truthfully....everyone else on the road :) 

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

37 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

FTFY

🤣🤣🤣  Uh, Phil, you just got owned as my granddaughter would say.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

28 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Sigh. For the older generation, Fixed That For You. 

Hahaha!

I got it Daryl cause I have teenage grandkids. Rick just was exposed to too many chemicals during his farming lifetime, so have to keep it simple. (You know I luv ya Rick 😀).

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Confession time. Our kids were too old when IM and texting took off, and with too much oilpatch exposure, the first time I seen it, my (dirty) mind went to "fornicate an object, fornicate you".

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Might have been funny if true. I guess my new pet peeve is people who change the words other people say. Reminds me of these new breed politicians. I'm a lot of things, specific is one of them. What I wrote didnt need to be fixed or corrected by anyone or their grandchildren. Kinda relates to my new signature line.

Edited by Big5er

2014 smart Fortwo

Phil,

If I offended you, I apologize.  I was just funning with you as a friend.  Guess bad attempt at humor.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

19 hours ago, Big5er said:

Carl that is what I like about you...you are so tolerant. My pet peeve is....well, truthfully....everyone else on the road :) 

Howdy Phil,

That’s a big 10-4, and I will not insult you by calling you a “good buddy” sadly like many things those words don’t mean what they used to anymore.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 7/17/2019 at 7:52 AM, SuiteSuccess said:

We can blame government and media for a lot of that.  Promotion of the "zipper merge" has lots of people thinking that they're supposed to cut in line at the last minute passing cars that have already merged to make things flow better.  For them, I suppose they're right, but not for everyone else. Some of them seem to decide to merge with all of the surprise of having their number called in Chinese Bingo, and take a spot from someone else regardless of how many times the gift has already been stolen...

It dawned on me driving last night that people seem to understand the concept of the zipper merge a lot better when it comes to emergency vehicles.  People seem to use all lanes, but manage to merge while still moving, instead of passing the slowed traffic.  At least some of the time...

Interestingly, I've recently learned that a few states (IA, IL, CT) now include disabled vehicles in their move over laws.  Nobody wants to be a sitting duck at the side of the road hunted by an inattentive driver, but maybe they'll be a little easier to spot before trying to run us over.

And not that another reminder is really necessary, but this one just happened recently: https://fox59.com/2019/07/14/mother-twins-killed-after-semi-slammed-into-their-car-on-i-465-7-others-injured/

I fail to see how someone cutting you off causes you to slam into stopped traffic.  If anything, if you believe the driver's account at all, that car that cut him off might be the only thing that caused him to touch the brakes before impact at all.

Edited by Nuke-E

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

The zipper technique works very well, if everyone uses it. The problem comes when some "merge" at the first lane closed sign, and others try to follow the technique. Kind of like roundabouts, they work well all over the world, but it’s like taking your life in your hands to enter one in the US.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

1 minute ago, dewilso said:

The zipper technique works very well, if everyone uses it. The problem comes when some "merge" at the first lane closed sign, and others try to follow the technique. Kind of like roundabouts, they work well all over the world, but it’s like taking your life in your hands to enter one in the US.

True.  If everyone merges smoothly in advance of the closure, and the closed lane is emptied early with traffic flowing, there's nothing lost.  The problem is that one driver who forces in at the wrong place or with a large speed differential and causes braking, and brings the thing to a halt. 

Zippering makes the most sense in areas where you know the remaining open lanes can't handle the flow, with the alternate merging happening at low speeds.  City streets are another appropriate place, though it's a double-edged sword--the purpose of using both lanes is to reduce the physical length of the backup, but in using all lanes you also prevent people from getting to other intersections that are before the closure.  It could very well be that you get more cars through the closure, but have more cars stuck in traffic too.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

I can't say how much I like driving the Tesla, or riding behind the wheel in the Tesla, I don't take naps but it doesn't get distracted or tired of driving like I do. So I won't post this.

I just wish it would fit on the back of the Freightliner!!

Roger

Edited by Hewhoknowslittle

GCTaaehl.jpg

On 7/28/2019 at 6:06 PM, Hewhoknowslittle said:

I just wish it would fit on the back of the Freightliner!!

Sounds like you need a bigger truck!  Doesn't the Tesla have more torque anyways? 🤣

Construction zone speed limits only work when everyone slows down. I've heard about a 30 mph differential:

4s9D1jIl.jpg

That transport would be close to 140k lbs. loaded. I doubt he felt much more than a bump.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

I woulda chocked every wheel on the LGT and yanked my trailer out from under that fire, if at all possible. You gotta hate electric trailer brakes. 
Is it the angle of the photo or is that a 3 axle travel trailer??

2014 smart Fortwo

15 minutes ago, Big5er said:

I woulda chocked every wheel on the LGT and yanked my trailer out from under that fire, if at all possible. You gotta hate electric trailer brakes. 

Two axle.  Just the angle.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

35 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Pretty small risk of damage to the transport trailer. Solid steel frame, built to be pushed on. Only thing that far back is lights, tires and mudflaps. The insurance will buy all new of those, I'd bet he pulled ahead shortly after the pic was taken, anyways. It is, or was, a tandem travel trailer.

Please e-mail us here.