Canada Border Crossing Did Not Go Well

RandyA

44 minutes ago, redcrzr said:

We didn't see much for dry camping in Canada.  Most, if not all of the "pull offs" were marked with something like "no camping or no overnight parking."  I know others have said they found places to park, we'll be more observant on the way back.

The Ice Fields Parkway from Jasper to Banff has many "overflow" areas to dry camp.  One of the highlights of our Alaska trip.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, redcrzr said:

We didn't see much for dry camping in Canada.  Most, if not all of the "pull offs" were marked with something like "no camping or no overnight parking."  I know others have said they found places to park, we'll be more observant on the way back.

The Ice Fields Parkway from Jasper to Banff has many "overflow" areas to dry camp.  One of the highlights of our Alaska trip.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...

I have received a response on my complaint from the Canada Border Service.  They said they were opening an investigation and would contact me soon.  Waiting to hear from them......... but I seriously doubt that they will say or do anything in my favor.  I also sent a descriptive email to the supervisor that gave me his card and told me to contact him with any concerns.  The email detailed every thing I witnessed and damage incurred.  He gave me his cell number so if I don't hear anything this week I will call him and try to get a verbal response to my email.  Not counting on it, but worth trying.  Shucks, might as well be like a bulldog on your pants leg and call him everyday until something is said or done.  All he can do is hang up on me or block my calls - but I have 4 different phone numbers I can call from so that might take awhile.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Don't back off.  In my neck of the woods, it looks like Los Angeles Sherriff Baca is going to be getting some free room and board for his misdeeds.  See the link, below. What was done to you was wrong.  http://www.npr.org/2017/03/16/520358290/former-la-county-sheriff-lee-baca-convicted-in-jail-corruption-case

On 9/5/2017 at 4:34 PM, Imurphy907 said:

Randy, keep on them. The worst that can happen is you get barred from Canada for life.

Considering my age and ambitions to go back to the eastern provinces I am not too worried about that.:rolleyes:  But, I still have Alaska on my bucket list and can't get there by RV without crossing the border again.  Hopefully things are better on the western side.....

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

29 minutes ago, RandyA said:

Considering my age and ambitions to go back to the eastern provinces I am not too worried about that.:rolleyes:  But, I still have Alaska on my bucket list and can't get there by RV without crossing the border again.  Hopefully things are better on the western side.....

There is a ferry.....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I get extra inspection every time I cross in the RV. I think it is mostly because I have Texas plates. The last time at the little crossing in Main on 201. The first  question was what guns did I have. I told the officer that I understood their gun laws and did not bring any guns to Canada. Repeated the question and asked if I owned any guns. I said yes I do I repeated that knowing Canada's gun laws I did not have any guns with me. This went on for a while and he sent me for extra inspection. He was apparently sending everyone for extra inspection because the two officers  did a good inspection of the inside of the coach (I had to open the slides and unlock all the storage bays.) they only looked inside the coach and never looked in any bay or the toad. 

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

I received a phone call from Chief John Hook of the Canadian Border Services today.  We talked about my experience for almost an hour.  No anger - no hostility from either of us.  He came across as a very understanding and concerned individual and apologized for my experience.  I honestly did not expect that.  He told me there is an open investigation and all parties involved are being interviewed individually.  I just hope that my experience and the results of the investigation may help to prevent the type of vetting and property damage I underwent for subsequent HDT/Fiver RV travelers crossing the border into Canada at Port Huron.  I will post the results of the completed investigation though I do not expect much detail to be shared with me in the report I am to receive.  Hopefully some good may come from all of this.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

How would one document their vehicle getting tossed?
It would be very important to me if something expensive was damaged during an angry inspection.

The only thing I can think of is to have notepad and pencil handy to jot down some notes with dates, times and names.
Anything else?

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

11 hours ago, Rich&Sylvia said:

How would one document their vehicle getting tossed?
It would be very important to me if something expensive was damaged during an angry inspection.

The only thing I can think of is to have notepad and pencil handy to jot down some notes with dates, times and names.
Anything else?

They would not let us keep our cell phones on our person.  The truck dash cam was turned off by them but I still had some initial audio on the SD card.  They told me they had video surveillance of the vehicle being searched.  I don't have it but doubt that the superintendent would delete it.

YES - make notes, times, observations, etc.  I did not do enough but am glad I have what I do.  I took pictures of damage to property after I discovered it.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

Maybe pics of truck and camper inside and out before trip and after inspection with date signatures on pics?  A picture is worth a thousand words. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I have lived near Port Huron for most of my life and border crossings are a way of life around here. A vehicle being "tossed" is rare, but it does happen and I once heard of a vehicle having the interior removed and tires demounted off the rims and Border Control just walks away when they are done. When you cross the border, you have no rights and BC is in total control. I have been through a 2 hour inspection and sitting in the waiting room is a scary experience. BC inspectors are regular people with different personalities along with having good and bad days mixed in.

Greg

It has been years, 1970's since I went to Canada.  Crossings then were always friendly, a bit formal but not uncomfortable.  Coming back was even easier.  Times sure have changed!

Phil, Carol, Ariel, Grey Lady, SKP# 93039

2009 Carriage Cameo

2016 Ram 2500, CTD, 4X4

With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.

http://motojavaphil.blogspot.com/

I haven't crossed the border since pre-9/11.  It always went like this:  Where you from?  Where you going?  How long are you staying?  Have fun!  I guess I don't see any reason to start crossing the border again now with these stories.  Plenty to keep my busy in the lower 48.

Good luck on getting a response from the Us Border Protection, as you have from the Canadians ! Traveled in business for 30 yrs and have never run across more unfriendly, unwelcoming, and obnoxious agents than in the US. Just returned from Alaska, same impression.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

The last time we crossed back into the US at the Lewiston/Queenston crossing with our dog, the ICE officer asked me the usual questions. He then sternly addressed our dog where she was watching out the side window, and asked if she left anything behind in Canada. I told him she only left a wet spot at the Flying J in London, and if she had left anything else I would have bagged the evidence and brought it with us. He burst out laughing, welcomed us back to the US, and sent us on our way. A very pleasant crossing!

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I answer the questions directly.  I don't get into explaining my understanding of Canadian or US laws... 

Oh and I keep all receipts for goods and repairs, and write out a seperate list of everything by category that  I purchased for my declaration... 

Last winter I had $3000 +/- work done to the tow vehicle and trailer  - I itemized it seperately and let them decide if they were "emergency" repairs (non taxable) or "non emergency" - subject to federal sales tax.  We are still part of NAFTA so nothing much has "duty" any more but folks continue to call tax "duty"... 

A few winters back on vacation trip US officers asked to search the bike trailer one fine January day at  Wild Horse.  Officer Ms. Grumpy Pants stationed herself outside in the wind, on guard, as is the procedure. Officer Mr. Calm and Business Like entered the trailer then asked me to enter... 

10 minutes of yakking about the motorcycles later I'm saying well we can haul your bike to California and you could fly down and he's saying don't temp me and I'm not supposed to disclose to aliens where I live and I say so push it to the end of the alley and Outside Officer is finally saying will you guys can it and get out here it's cold... 

Everyone was smiling and wishing a good trip and welcome and thank you... 

It's why you don't see motorcycles parked in front of a therapist clinic... 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

We made it in/out without too much hassle at the Peace Arch crossing and we entered BC on 9/11 no less.....

They were VERY interested in how many handguns we owned (I didn't have a count for them! Too many I guess?), that we have CCW licenses, and if we normally travel in the states with handguns. We were pulled in for a search where she (female border agent) searched my person and wallet, then they searched the cab and storage compartments of the Pete only....... She peeked in the door of the 5th, but didn't see a reason to go roto rooter on us...... Took about an hour total with a 10 min wait in line to get to the booth initially.

Coming back into the states the agent wanted to see registration to prove ownership of all the vehicles. I had the Jeep on the deck. Tracie had everything organized in a folder so we just handed it over. 2-3 mins and we were out of there.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Archived