Canada Border Crossing Did Not Go Well

RandyA

3 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Anyone know if having a conceal, carry permit more likely to trigger such an event?  And do Canadian authorities have ready access to that info?

I believe so ,the canadians get a direct link to the FBI dat base in Washington,Randys troubles are (almost) unique.

Almost because a 4 hour stop is incredible bad luck ,they clear 1000's of vehicles a hour they don't have time to do 4 hour inspections on very many ,maybe 4-8 a day depending on manpower.

Both sides share info, how much is anyones guess, but the agreement took years after 9-11 to implement

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Anyone know if having a conceal, carry permit more likely to trigger such an event?  And do Canadian authorities have ready access to that info?

A check of your state DL will reveal if you are also issued a carry permit. The authorities in Canada can run your drivers license as easily as we can run theirs. Mexico is a bit different. I can run their "Licencia Federal de Conductor" (Mexico Federally issued CDL) easily. Their state issued licenses are not so easy because their state systems are not as reliable. 

To the best of my knowledge the FBI's NICS database does NOT maintain a list of carry permits, only info used by the states to deny/approve an individual the ability to purchase/transfer a firearm from a dealer (no transfer paperwork/background check is necessary in Texas between individuals). Some states use the  NICS database before issuing carry permits which then allows the holder to bypass NICS checks when purchasing a firearm. Those permits are limited to 4 or 5 years (don't remember) and then must be renewed, meaning another NICS check. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

A check of a Georgia drivers license will NOT show anything about a weapons license. In fact, is is against Georgia law for the state to have a database of weapons carry licenses. Each county probate judge issues them and does not report that info to the state.

Ours weapons license does qualify for the NICS check and is renewed every 5 years.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I have been crossing into and out of Canada for over 50 years in route to and from Alaska.  In years gone by you could transport a handgun through Canada but it was sealed in a plastic bag.  That said the only time I have been hassled was at the Bellingham crossing.  My fiancé and I flew south to purchase a new car.  It only had dealer plates and they would expire in a few days so I asked where I could obtain another to get us through Canada and back to Alaska.  The car was loaded to the gills including the roof.  We were pulled to the area where they did searches and then taken upstairs for questioning, i.e. Where you going? Why? How long in Canada?  I pointed out that they were holding my Alaska DL and we were returning home.  Lots of questions they went on and on and some I did not think appropriate and told them so, like how long you been together with you fiancé?, etc.  They questioned us both together and separately.  Toward the end they said I had to have money to go through Canada. I asked how much and would only show them that amount but did show them my Alaska Airlines CC.  They kept us waiting long periods between questionings and refused to answer my question on where I could get a temporary plate to get back home.   In the end I became frustrated and went downstairs to a phone booth and called the RCMP and explained what was going on.  The Officer said he would be right there to help so I waited at the phone booth.  As it turns out the place to get a temporary was directly under the border people that had be questioning us.  The RCMP Officer went in with me and I walked out with a 2 week plate in hand in less than 10 minutes.  We then went upstairs and they were stunned that I had called law enforcement to help get us get out of there.  When we got back to ground level our car was still sitting right where I left it and had not been searched.  We thanked the RCMP Officer and were on our way north.  To this day I have no idea what this was about.  

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

4 hours ago, Big5er said:

A check of your state DL will reveal if you are also issued a carry permit.

1 hour ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

A check of a Georgia drivers license will NOT show anything about a weapons license. In fact, is is against Georgia law for the state to have a database of weapons carry licenses. Each county probate judge issues them and does not report that info to the state.

Ours weapons license does qualify for the NICS check and is renewed every 5 years.

South Dakota is similar to Georgia.  If I remember right, there's something like a couple of days from the time the permit is issued until records of having issued it must be destroyed.  Not even the county keeps records of who has permits.  You might be able to guess with access to NICS, given a sheriff running the check as opposed to an FFL, but I think that would be the only clue.

Of course, having a permit is not any indication that one owns or is carrying a firearm; not having one doesn't indicate the contrary.  I know of several people who have carry permits but don't own/possess a firearm, and many more who own but never/seldom carry.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

24 years ago, they even cut up our mattress in the sleeper. I was laying on it sleeping. When the other drive hit the port. After they got me out of bed. There was no more sleep. AS they cut it up searching it for drugs. Everything was taken out of the cabinets and side compartments. The dozen trips before at the same place. Nothing just a few questions.

We pulled the top bunk mattress out and used it until the next day. When we came back into the country. Then went to Penske and got a new bed. The reason I got for being awaken. And them cutting the mattress up. I wanted to do it, we know there's drugs and a pistol in this truck?? We did have drugs in the truck. BC powders and aspirin.:angry: Best I can remember it was over 7 hours before they let us leave after all that.

Never did understand why they did not drop the top bunk down? But they never moved it, as we both had winter coats laying on it. And when we opened it to drop it down. The coats were still like we left them.

event.png

46 minutes ago, Nuke-E said:

South Dakota is similar to Georgia.  If I remember right, there's something like a couple of days from the time the permit is issued until records of having issued it must be destroyed.  Not even the county keeps records of who has permits. 

I guess I should have said a check of your DL MAY reveal if you have a carry permit. Sorry.

Hey Dave, how do you get away from Rule 9 with your signature?

Rule #9: No commercial advertising, or spamming, is allowed. The only exception is posting of private party ads in the marketplace. See the rules listed on the main pages of each of the marketplace forums.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I do have a CC permit.  It was issued in my county of residence in Hanover.  According to my son, who is a policeman in the county, there is NO record on your license to indicate you have a permit.  What he believes is those individuals that follow the law and take the class to get the CC permit are law abiding citizens.  If they were not, they would not take the time to get the permit.  What he worries about are the crazies that carry a gun and think it is OK just to shoot you and get on down the road.  Some sort of gang status symbol to illegally carry an unregistered firearm and then use it despite the law that will put someone in jail for 15 years by just being caught with it.  I think getting caught is another gang status symbol.  Of course, we law abiding citizens carry because of these illegal crazies all over the place.  Among the many things that disturb me is the time the Canada guards wasted searching someone and their property that they knew had no criminal record and had honestly told them the truth. They did check me out through NCIC which did not surprise me at all.  I did find another damaged part on the fiver today.  My coach 6V golf cart batteries are in an enclosed plywood compartment ventilated through the floor.  It was opened without the use of a screwdriver to remove the screws on the front edge of the lid - they apparently pried it open.

I still wonder if the HDT was a trigger or not.  The two folks traveling with us towing with pick-ups were not searched.The agent obviously did not understand my rig as she kept asking if I was "transporting" the trailer for sale in Canada.  Of course, matching state tags, paid registration, title, and insurance all said otherwise.

The female agent freaked out over the wireless outdoor temperature sensor hanging under the pin box.  She called me over without touching it.  She acted like it was a bomb ready to blow her up.  I did have to remove it, take out the batteries and show her the thermometer.

And yes, Dale, you just might be the guy that looks more innocent than me.  This woman must not have liked me and or our rig.  Or it may be that your "lottery number" has not come up.  I like winning lotteries -  but not this one.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

I know a couple of guys that were denied entry due to previous DUIs that were over 30 yrs. old.  That came up as soon as they scanned their driver's license.  One of them did the initial foot work to see what it would take to get in to Canada after that......basically have that record pardoned or expunged.  But they also learned that the US and Canada share all criminal records even misdameanors and if you have one, it doesn't matter if you were a teenager when it happened, you're not getting in until you get a pardon or expunged then you still have to pay a huge "application fee" to Canada, write a letter telling why you want in to Canada, etc. etc.  He finally got in......for his business.  But they sure put him through the ringer and it cost him a bit over $7,000. total.

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

5 hours ago, avvidclif said:

Any more questions on why I will not visit Canada? Or go thru it to Alaska. So that leaves the other 48 to visit, minus a few of the anti gun states, NJ for example. My preferences, yours may vary.

I would be willing to bet that your "no drive" list looks a LOT like mine.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

How would it work if you went to AAA and got an international drivers license and I presented that with my military ID. It would not bring up my carry permit the way my Texas DL would. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

You know what?  After reading this..and with me and my DW both being career military retirees...I do not believe our mindsets would do well with the total disrespecting of our property's and then they just walk away.  Not all border people have that mindset I know but I feel that like minded agents feed off of each other and tend to go overboard ...almost like a mob mentality.  No...after seeing a lot of the planet as maintainer and flying crew chiefs we both intend to spend the rest of our remaining years seeing this vast country we live in.

On August 18, 2017 at 10:11 PM, Big5er said:

Damn, that kind of sucks. I have always wanted to spend a summer in Alaska but if this is what you have to go through it doesn't seem worth the hassle. 

Alaska is worth the hassle! 

Our next trip to Alaska, if we have the same hassle we will spend as little time in Canada as possible. 

Phil when you get done working- don't let anything stop you from spending a summer in Alaska 

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

14 minutes ago, Rick & Alana said:

Alaska is worth the hassle! 

Our next trip to Alaska, if we have the same hassle we will spend as little time in Canada as possible. 

Phil when you get done working- don't let anything stop you from spending a summer in Alaska 

Perhaps a nice ferry ride would solve that problem.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

We have traveled back and forth across several US and CND borders since 1987 with cars And RVs. As much as ten times a summer. Then each way now every winter for the past 8 yrs. 10 years with HDT.  

Same basic treatment from both sides. Same questions with various twists. Other than some odd questions about the rig which we settle pretty quick it's fairly routine.  I do know they grill the US resident folks about weapons pretty good. 

Im US and wife Cnd.  Only really inspected twice. Opened and quick look many times most times just few min. 

Once at Port Huron MI USA side we got the same insp as Randy but we had Pickup fifth wheel and dogs. Took about 45 min. Our food and dog food was focus. 

We have hundreds of campers if not more each year visit our Campground at the Cnd US border and never hear if such an ordeal as Randy experienced but I guess there are some  

I think what Randy had to go through and the aftermath is absolutely alfull and was a set of border guards on a huge ego trip  

Certainly not the norm  except the ego thing  

i sure hope filing the complaint will produce some results. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

We crossed back and forth between the US and Canada for much of this summer.  We had no serious hassles and about equal treatment from Canadian and US border officials.  The only inside inspection of our 5'er was from a US border patrol officer.  One look in our refrigerator and she lost her appetite and any interest in us. 

Most of our crossings were between Stewart, BC and Hyder, Alaska.  Stewart and Hyder are next door neighbors with the international border between them.  While Hyder is in Alaska, there are fewer than one hundred residents in Hyder and there is no exit from Hyder into any other part of the US or Canada.  There is no US border station or customs house.  However, passing back into Canada from Hyder one must go through Canadian customs.  Having to pass Canadian customs almost everyday we could see no difference in how folks were treated from those entering the US.  Those Canadians who did not realize they would need proof of citizenship to leave the tiny piece of Alaska and return to Canada were in for a hour or two of unpleasant conversation with a somewhat bored group of border guards.

I have specifically had no trouble in taking the truck and trailer across the border.  I followed the advice of a member of this forum and created a loose leaf binder with all the important documents in it.  The border guards were appreciative as they immediately had the information they needed to run their screening programs.  I can't be sure the binder was the cause, but questions were few and the crossings were fast considering the HDT and large trailer in tow.  

There is a secondary benefit in having all of the relevant information in a binder.  Canadian officers have been acting in a harsh and abrupt manner during some of my crossings.  I think this is a deliberate attempt to unnerve me and have me blurt out a guilty secret, as the questions are usually about the handguns I must be carrying, since I'm from Arizona.  Because everything needed is in the binder there is little need to ask me for anything, limiting conversation.  

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

It is very easy to make different travel plans. Just visit the United States! If enough Americans just stayed home and visited the USA what a boom for us. We decided long ago that we will not go to anyplace that makes us feel uneasy! Canada is a NO GO for us.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

I could give you a hundred horror stories about Canadians going into the USA..including my friend who was denied entry this year because of a pot possession charge in the 60s .  The 60s...  When I come back into Canada, I avoid the crossings in Quebec and usually have no issues.

For border crossings, you have to look at what is happening at the political level.

Canada is a bargain place to travel when you take into consideration of the exchange and if you keep receipts, you can get back all the sales tax that you had to pay..that is unless this have been changed recently.    ..this year, we seem to have a lot of travelers from Florida and Tennessee.

One this you have to remember when coming here is that we don't do guns. Yes, you can import yours but it is a paperwork nightmare ..

I have a question. A previous poster said turn off the truck but don't put your parking brake on. Why is that ?

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

12 hours ago, StarDreamers.us said:

It is very easy to make different travel plans. Just visit the United States! If enough Americans just stayed home and visited the USA what a boom for us. We decided long ago that we will not go to anyplace that makes us feel uneasy! Canada is a NO GO for us.

Safe Travels!

Alaska is one of the states of the United States.  

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

26 minutes ago, Grassy said:

I could give you a hundred horror stories about Canadians going into the USA..including my friend who was denied entry this year because of a pot possession charge in the 60s .  The 60s...  When I come back into Canada, I avoid the crossings in Quebec and usually have no issues.

For border crossings, you have to look at what is happening at the political level.

Canada is a bargain place to travel when you take into consideration of the exchange and if you keep receipts, you can get back all the sales tax that you had to pay..that is unless this have been changed recently.    ..this year, we seem to have a lot of travelers from Florida and Tennessee.

One this you have to remember when coming here is that we don't do guns. Yes, you can import yours but it is a paperwork nightmare ..

I have a question. A previous poster said turn off the truck but don't put your parking brake on. Why is that ?

Turn off truck so the border officer can hear you.

The parking brake is very loud at their booth .

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

My trip to Alaska & border crossings were quick & easy.  I had papers made out for the gun I was traveling with & paid $25 for the right to take it through Canada. (long gun)  I believe after 60 days that permit expires so I will pay again on the return trip. I was invited inside, I believe it was because the agent thought I was commercial. After quick explanation he was ready to let us in.  I found all of Canada & the people we met very friendly & accommodating.  I still need to get back to the lower 48 so if that trip is any different I'll let you know.

We didn't see much for dry camping in Canada.  Most, if not all of the "pull offs" were marked with something like "no camping or no overnight parking."  I know others have said they found places to park, we'll be more observant on the way back.

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Archived