Digitizing documents and photographs

For digitizing slides we were blessed with a brother-in-law. He works at home and has a five-slide gadget. So he'd put five slides in it and do some work then put five more slides in it. It took him a substantial amount of time but his wife, Dave's sister, was pleased to have copies of previous family gatherings as their reward. Win-win is the way to go. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

50 minutes ago, sandsys said:

For digitizing slides we were blessed with a brother-in-law. He works at home and has a five-slide gadget. So he'd put five slides in it and do some work then put five more slides in it. It took him a substantial amount of time but his wife, Dave's sister, was pleased to have copies of previous family gatherings as their reward. Win-win is the way to go. :)

Linda Sand

I think that's the likely route I'll take in spite of the time involved. I can do high resolution scans at low cost, plus I can correct them as needed to my taste, which sounds like a win/win to me. Jay

I took the easy out. When I went full time I took all my pictures and photo albums and packed them in a couple of boxes. They now reside in my sons garage. I told him that he was going to inherit them anyway so why not get them now. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Been a few years now, but prior to going Fulltime, I purchased a Epson V700 Scanner, and also the Vue Scan Software from Hamrick (?) Software.   This allowed me to obtain high dpi scans, and multiple images in one scan.   Also, scanned slides and negatives.   I completed a quick project to get things scanned in... and gave the scanner away.

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

• 10 months later...

I know it's an older thread, but since we're scanning photos now,  I thought I'd share. We found an online software to download called Autosplitter. It's a one-time fee of $20.00 It allows you to do what Barbaraok described. You scan as many photos you can get on a flatbed scanner, leaving some space among them. The software recognizes individual photos that you can tweak, rotate, etc. before saving. 

1 hour ago, MrsSquid said:

I know it's an older thread, but since we're scanning photos now,  I thought I'd share. We found an online software to download called Autosplitter. It's a one-time fee of $20.00 It allows you to do what Barbaraok described. You scan as many photos you can get on a flatbed scanner, leaving some space among them. The software recognizes individual photos that you can tweak, rotate, etc. before saving. 

Thank you for sharing that. I'll certainly check that out. :) Jay

I just looked at it and it seems that you can ever try it for free! I may give it a shot as I'm working through a bunch of old family pictures at present.  Thanks for posting that. 

AutoSplitrer

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

6 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I just looked at it and it seems that you can ever try it for free! I may give it a shot as I'm working through a bunch of old family pictures at present.  Thanks for posting that. 

AutoSplitrer

Yes, you can try it for free. However, as noted on the guarantee page, the photos will have watermarks until you register the software by paying for it.  I was satisfied with the software and think it was $20 well spent. I didn't want Adobe photoshop, and I didn't notice an option with the printer software. 

Most of the scanning is done. I think I'm down to wedding albums and keepsake baby books. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them. 

34 minutes ago, MrsSquid said:

Most of the scanning is done. I think I'm down to wedding albums and keepsake baby books. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them. 

We decided to keep those intact. Somehow the album is part of the memories for me. Plus, some of the albums did not want to release their photos without damaging them. So they all went into a bin with a few other keepsakes. We don't look in that bin very often but when we do it is very enjoyable.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

29 minutes ago, scouserl41 said:

Our Canon 3 in 1 Pixma printer comes with software that splits pictures out so long as there is a 1/8" gap between them when you place them on the scanner bed.

Our scanner/printer was cheap but not smart. In computer years it is also getting old.  🤥

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

5 hours ago, scouserl41 said:

Our Canon 3 in 1 Pixma printer comes with software that splits pictures out so long as there is a 1/8" gap between them when you place them on the scanner bed.

BnB

I have a similar Canon that included the Pixma CD.  I'll have to do some reading to see if that s/w is included.  Would save me $30.

On 2/17/2019 at 2:59 PM, sandsys said:

We decided to keep those intact. Somehow the album is part of the memories for me. Plus, some of the albums did not want to release their photos without damaging them. So they all went into a bin with a few other keepsakes. We don't look in that bin very often but when we do it is very enjoyable.

Linda

Thanks for your feedback Linda. I may wait until the last minute on those. If there's room, include them intact. If not, scan them as best I can.

I bet you will look at your photos more often when you digitize them than when they were if albums for years! I look at them when my relatives and friends mention some event on Face Book or have an anniversary coming up. They are constantly amazed that I still have those pictures and I often get asked for copies.

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

We recently had a local scanning service take care of our remaining family photos that weren't digital.  No effort on our part, and they gave us great results cheap.  Around $50 for a few hundred photos.  We have two scanners, but not wasting the time was worth it.  They also did minor cleanup of colors, scratches, etc.

Archived