Waxing roof of truck

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have a question or too. Do you wax the roof of your truck ? If you do, how do you do it safely ? What are you standing on to get up that high ? I would like to use a piece of equipment to help with the job. I have a Porter Cable 7424XP buffer to help with this job. It would be nice to see some pictures if possible. I have never waxed a semi before. Any help or ideas to do this job would be appreciated.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

While we are on the topic of the roof, how does one go about resealing the seams on the Volvo roof, with out tumbling to your death from such a great height?

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

I have a Volvo 770 and I can tell you it is a tough job.  I do the work from the top of my drom to reach the highest parts and ladders for the rest.  If you don't have a drom, a ladder can be used back of cab on a sheet of plywood secured so it doesn't move out from under the ladder.  The ladder I use is a little giant knock off I bought at wal-mart.  Put rubber caps on the feet that will come in contact with the truck.  To reach the spot above/below the skylight I have climbed onto the hood and laid on the roof with my feet braced against the visor so as not to fall.  No fun at all.   The older I get, less agile, less athletic etc.  hiring out the job is looking like the way to go.

I'm gonna get flamed for this one...

But I have seen a Latin American looking fellow with rubberized slipper socks on his feet, just kneeling on the roof waxing it like nothing mattered.... He moved around like he lived up there....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I prefer using a scissor lift to work on trucks and trailers, not many folk have one in the garage though.    HF scaffold is also an option.     If you don't feel comfortable with what ever you come up with DON"T     Falling from that height could be the end of you.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Al,

I'm with Steve.  However, you choose don't even attempt without the right equipment or sure your perch is secure.  Ask RandyA.  A fall from that height can be career ending.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

18 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Al,

I'm with Steve.  However, you choose don't even attempt without the right equipment or sure your perch is secure.  Ask RandyA.  A fall from that height can be career ending.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for some ideas. I don't like heights. Right now, I am washing the trailer roof and I wish the roof was 12 feet down.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

1 hour ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for some ideas. I don't like heights. Right now, I am washing the trailer roof and I wish the roof was 12 feet down.

Al

Lay the rig on her side:)

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Just did mine yesterday, but mine is just a baby. I feel I got 90% of the roof good, 10 % not to sure of.

I used a step-ladder to get the sides, Stood on the engine to get the front edge. This left the top center and rear to do which was more difficult. I started off working from left to right (I'm right handed) and soon my left hand which helped support me as I was extended wanted to slip. So I finished what I could R to L and than used a broom handle and rags to finish the front center. If I didn't do a good job I figure the birds will have a Bulls-eye to target.

I thought I did good for being over 3/4 of a century old.

Clay 2015 FL Sports Chassis

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

On 8/8/2017 at 8:45 AM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I'm gonna get flamed for this one...

But I have seen a Latin American looking fellow with rubberized slipper socks on his feet, just kneeling on the roof waxing it like nothing mattered.... He moved around like he lived up there....

I often have to work from a manlift for my job, installing equipment in warehouses.  If I havent been in one for a while, I will sometimes have sea legs until I get used to it.  If this guy does it regularly he has gotten used to it and doesnt have the sea legs issue.  I used to do RV roofs for work too, and the first few were more difficult to feel comfortable on than the others.  I found that doing the work of the radius roof area was challenging at times, as it was off a 10' or 12' ladder, some coaches are 13' and to do a good job, needed to be less than arms length to perform the task.  If I was doing a coach in a boondocking area, the ground was the greatest challenge, more as to safety than as to comfort.  

Marcel

Year over year 25% of fatal falls are from 6 -15 feet.  I've been rock climbing at an intermediate level for 30 years.  What makes it sane is the rope system.  Polishing my condo sleeper for vanity is not worth the risk of either a broken wrist let along banging your head or worse.  (i wear a helmet climbing)  If you can't afford to play... don't.  Hire someone for the couple of times you want to pretty your piece.  It's cheap insurance.  

Note: Just my opinion and perspective.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

If you do wax the roof while accessing it from the rear of the truck and you are physically on the roof.

Wax the front first and work your way back to where you accessed the roof. The first time I did ours I did it in reverse and was thinking about how I was going to land on the ground. Head first.

Now that you mentioned waxing, you could practice on ours.   

Vern

Rent a gravity neutralizer and following instructions very carefully . . . . otherwise you will float into outer space.

Or, park under a large tree and use a safety harness.  Just be careful climbing tree.

Or, don't worry about it because no one sees it and the risk (falling to your death) is not worth the gain (impressing very, very tall friends who can actually see the roof)

Mine is not too difficult. I just tilt the cab 90 degrees and do everything from the ground. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Archived