"Floaters"

phoenix2013

10 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

JT,

Unfortunately like many computer simulations this is a example of "junk-in results in Junk-out" when many "oversimplification" is made with computers.......

IF you go to utube and look at ACTUAL dash cam footage of UNSTABLE RV trailer incidents you should pay attention to the ROLL-AXIS coupling that is a HUGE factor in triggering the divergent / unstable trailer excitation.........

Mother nature makes a lot of moves in many directions when she decides to make things........exciting....... 

Drive on...........(Don't ignore mother natures.........moves) 

Rarely does a day go buy I when I'm not the cause of stupid in, stupid out.........is it happening now :)

In regards to roll/yaw can the dead weight in or of the tow vehicle be used instead of a % of the trailer weigh?  A HDT with a hitch behind the rear axle would indicated this? 

2011 Cameo 34SB3

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, J-T said:

Rarely does a day go buy I when I'm not the cause of stupid in, stupid out.........is it happening now :)

In regards to roll/yaw can the dead weight in or of the tow vehicle be used instead of a % of the trailer weigh?  A HDT with a hitch behind the rear axle would indicated this? 

Jt,

Not stupid really...... more like complex.......

Jack often says that RV's are a bucket full of trade-offs and most RV suspensions are loaded or overloaded in actual use and for the most part are not well dampened and tend to be somewhat soft and tend to over-travel during excitation.....

Sometimes forum members will comment that they left a full wine glass of yellow-tail on the counter and never spilled a drop during a 388 mile run down Hwy 99 in central Cal...........Very soft suspension but tends to roll during lateral movements......

Vertical Center of Gravity is a large factor in roll as well......

Drive on..........(dynamics can be ......complex)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

• 1 month later...

Bringing this back alive.....

I don't know how much crap we have, but I can guarantee you that the pin weight has been substantially increased.  After 553 miles it towed just about like I expected.  A little more sway/tail wag than our old Carrilite had when trucks oncoming pass us.  The DRV follows the highway grooves and really doesn't like to move out of them.

I'll post weight after Trey and Susan weigh us at the rally.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I'd be interested to see what our "straight down" pinbox would do to the pin weights on Jim's trailer. We have not done an accurate measurement of pin weight addition when using that pinbox.....although we do know it adds weight to the pin.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Just now, Jack Mayer said:

I'd be interested to see what our "straight down" pinbox would do to the pin weights on Jim's trailer. We have not done an accurate measurement of pin weight addition when using that pinbox.....although we do know it adds weight to the pin.

I still have it on my list of things to do to get you new weights with my new pin box.  The next trip going by a scale isn't until Thanksgiving though, so it won't happen until then.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Just now, Chad Heiser said:

I still have it on my list of things to do to get you new weights with my new pin box.  The next trip going by a scale isn't until Thanksgiving though, so it won't happen until then.

Thanks, Chad. It will be interesting to see what different models of DRVs do with the new head.... they should vary some....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

1 minute ago, Jack Mayer said:

Thanks, Chad. It will be interesting to see what different models of DRVs do with the new head.... they should vary some....

By the way, I am very happy with the "straight down" pin box on my DRV.  It tows great and has helped keep my overall length way down.  I was 61' long with my Montana Big Sky and HDT.  I am now 61'8" with my new DRV.  The DRV is 5 feet longer than the Montana was.  The short pin box and the placement of the pin box further under the overhang by DRV has allowed me to keep my length very reasonable.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Update-

We were weighed and have some results.....

Pin weight is 4775 or 19%.  I know I can move 200 pounds or so further forward to help a little more.  19% isn't great but it's better than 13%!

Total weight is 24700 with 80 gal fresh water, 20 Black, 30 Gray.  Dropping to our typical 20-30 gal traveling supply will bring our weight almost to max GVWR.  Since fresh water is over the front 2 axles, it shouldn't change the pin.  The gray and black are in front of the leading axle, so have those dry might change the pin weight several pounds....  All tires were almost 1000lbs under their max rating.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

• 2 weeks later...

Archived