lockmup68

deck weight, too heavy?

3ufIA0Wl.jpg

DW was driving the Escape ahead of me to run some errands, meet up with cousins, etc. Didn't feel like hanging the bike on the rack. Think the MacsTieDowns straps are good enough? :)

Looking at the temperatures back home in TN, we are loving the Canadian Rockies.

I don't know what part of the rockies you are in but here in Alberta they have issued heat warnings today and tomorrow. We will be in the rockies next weekend. Hopefully the BC wildfires get some much needed rain. Looks like you're overloaded. :D 

Mup68'$,

SEVERAL "issues" might come into play here.....

First .....you will need to pee in the cup because as WE all know those "bikers' tend to big time drug doppers....Is your cousin Lance Arm-something ??

Next....I ran several weight and balances with various types of bike configurations and it's best that I do not post in public here in the forum so.....I just emailed the entire spreadsheet to big5er as evidence and likely to issue a out-of-$ervice-ticket but he might allow you to unload the bike and ride it to the DOT court for your sentincing.....as far as "fines" big5er has way too many toasters and microwave$ so best to just go with the old standby of leaving few cases of Dr Pepper and a couple jugs of Crown Royal in the back of his DOT rickshaw.....

Final detail on the drug issue .....is your Hazmat paperwork current??

OK for the rest of you lily-white innocent geeks here on the forum.....see how easy it is to get wrapped a round the tandems with ......weighty issues and lose your .....balance.....

Drive on......(truckers tend to make bad bikers.....)

Edited by Dollytrolley

Before getting our 5'er we were using the HDT as a motorhome on occasion. Needless to say, it looked a little like "overkill" with the bike rack on the back. The first time out I noticed a flash in the mirror & then another.  Seems like someone decided he needed a couple of pictures of my "under loaded" semi tractor.

Todd

Up here in Canada bikes not being transported in a pick up box or on a rack need to be secured with the back wheel forward to prevent roll away............. :)

3 hours ago, J-T said:

Up here in Canada bikes not being transported in a pick up box or on a rack need to be secured with the back wheel forward to prevent roll away............. :)

jt.....thanks for that gem of knowledge.....that explains why I always felt somewhat safer up in the North country.......your so correct since I recall very few close calls of forward traveling runaway bikes and only a couple of reverse runaway bikes......

Drive on....(maybe better to just ride the bike....)

11 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

3ufIA0Wl.jpg

DW was driving the Escape ahead of me to run some errands, meet up with cousins, etc. Didn't feel like hanging the bike on the rack. Think the MacsTieDowns straps are good enough? :)

Looking at the temperatures back home in TN, we are loving the Canadian Rockies.

Going to be freezing here in West Tn starting Friday evening. Down near 60, man we may have to turn the AC off HEHEH

That bike is overloading the straps for sure.

Reminds me of the Keys-  with the Topkick being the daily driver, we'd just toss the kayak on the deck to take it to launches in various places in the area.  The liveaboards hanging around always had to get a chuckle and ask if we were sure we had enough truck for that boat...

This was near the ice fields between Jasper and Banff. Was nice and balmy high of 65. low of 38. 

BTW, truma water heater, water temp of 51 degrees, hot water solid 115 out of the hot side. :)

On 7/26/2017 at 8:21 AM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I don't know but I think the PSI of those tires pushing down in such a small area might be causing some issues.... :D

Might need DollyTrolley to run some numbers for you just to be sure!

Don't forget the tie-down straps...relative to the bicycle, the straps have enough weight to warrant being a second line item.

Heck, the weight of that bicycle is on par with three gallons of fuel.