TheLongWayHome

15 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Usually true, unless the tractor pulls a variety of trailers, and gross weight is not a concern for some of them.  I've seen drivers trying to free a movable fifth wheel that had been in one place a long time, but mine gets moved many times per year.

Why do you move it so often?

With my grain trailer,  I need it forward to get the best ride/handling, and correct weight on the tractor tandem. I run right at max legal weight.

With my 25 ton drag, I need the hitch slid all the way back for clearance, as it's old and designed for a single axle tractor.  I only haul a 2600 gallon water tank and a few shuttles of weed killer, so weight isn't a concern.

It's occurred to me that hitch placement will affect steering much less on a singled truck, since you don't have the drivers trying to over power the steer axle in a turn. On my day cab Mack, to much weight to the rear makes for interesting turning.

UZeriEXl.jpg

SHrNilUl.jpg

You can see the orange truck is a wee bit shorter.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 7/24/2017 at 7:37 AM, Flying Finn said:

A pickup can pull the bigger trailers as can a forklift at the dealer but simple physics proves they can't stop it.

Well said.  I move trailers around my yard with my forklift.  Yep, once you get them started they go good UNTIL you have to stop them.  Have to really PLAN that.  No pickups for big 5ers.

Marcel

Archived