2- Stage Propane Regulator Vent Leak

I noticed a propane smell at my regulator today and traced it to the regulator vent.  Was leaking enough to produce a small flame ( I know a lighter is a bad way to test for leaks). 

The daily temps are only in the  70's and we are at 600'  above sea level along the greatest of Great Lakes.

Is this a typical amount of propane to leak from the vent?  Is it time to replace it (10 years old)? 

Thanks

Brad

26 minutes ago, Devilishjim said:

Replace it sooner is best, You should never ever have a leak that can produce a flame.

Or use any flame to find a leak.  Can't believe you used a lighter to find it.  ?

Edited by jc2

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

I met a guy that used a flame to find a leak on his BBQ 3 months after he found it.  His eyelashes and most of his hair had grown back but one of eyebrows was missing and his nose, cheeks and forehead were spotted with dark brown skin. Luckily his glasses saved his eyes.

Edit: I use soap/water but I've found a leak detector liquid works better because the bubbles hang around longer. 

Edited by J-T

2011 Cameo 34SB3

This vent is to allow pressure equalization across the regulator diaphragm and ANY propane leak here is an indication of regulator failure.  I would recommend turning off the gas bottles immediately and getting the regulator replaced before turning them back on.  The diaphragm could rupture at any time and generate a real serious (read large) leak that could lead to bad things happening!

mike

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

9 hours ago, mscans said:

This vent is to allow pressure equalization across the regulator diaphragm and ANY propane leak here is an indication of regulator failure.  I would recommend turning off the gas bottles immediately and getting the regulator replaced before turning them back on.  The diaphragm could rupture at any time and generate a real serious (read large) leak that could lead to bad things happening!

Very good answer. Please do take Mike's advice before you have a major disaster!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 3 years later...
On 7/11/2017 at 2:20 AM, mscans said:

mike

This is the second leak on one of these dual stage regulators that ive have in the last 8mths. Do they fail this often?