Registering UTV's in Texas

Looking for guidance on this this topic. We are currently researching purchasing a new UTV for offroad use in TX, AZ and other states. In order to use in AZ with National Forrests or on road use they require title and registration. It looks like Texas will not register a UTV but only title. This would preclude us from using in AZ or other states that require a registration.

We have the a Livingston address so we would want to do everything in Texas. 

So here are the questions:

1) Has anyone registered a UTV in Texas? If so what was procedure?

2) Has anyone with a Livingston address titled and registered a UTV in AZ? If so how does it affect your domicile?

3) If you only titled in Texas do you use it in other states and how did you go about getting proper documentation to allow to be used in AZ, Etc.

We winter in Quartzsite and beside being RV central in winter it is also UTV/ ATV central as well.

Any guidance is very much appreciated!

Les

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

I'm thinking from this information on the TX-DOT website that you can register them in TX if they meet the criteria.  As I read things, you do not have to register it, unless you plan to drive it on the public roads, but then you can. I'm quite sure that I have seen them with a license plate. Call the Livingston DOT office and talk to them about it. 

For Tax Billing Information and Auto Registration:
Tax Assessor's Office 
416 N. Washington 
Livingston, TX. 77351 
936-327-6801

Edited by Kirk Wood

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk, that link opend on LOW speed vehicles (max 35) mph and not UTV's. You have tp click tbe tab for UTV and ROV. Texas does not license/register off road vehicles, UTV or ATV or allow them in roadways. They are issued titles, but not registration.

Was a big shock for me to see them with license plates and being used on the road in Wyoming.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I registered my Rzr 570 in Arizona a couple years ago while still full timing.  We did have a Livingston address but used a friend's address in Arizona.  No problem getting it licensed and still have it even though we bought a house back in Louisiana.  Very easy to do.

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

• 6 months later...

I saw a news report last week that said Roswell NM is about to make this legal with the proper modifications like the ones stated here. I didn't pay attention when I was up there last but I saw some operated on the streets in Silverton CO last year if memory serves.

Thanks y'all for the responses. As it turned out we purchased our Side x Side at Play-n-around Sports in Conroe, Texas and they handled all of the titling and registration. Our UTV is legally title, registered and insured in Texas and is street legal for roads up to 45 MPH.

Here is a video of our new toy as we unload it from the truck.....

See y'all on the trails! 

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

15 hours ago, bigboomer said:

Our UTV is legally title, registered and insured in Texas and is street legal for roads up to 45 MPH.

Just be aware that while this may apply in Texas it will not apply everywhere. I promise you that it will not in Colorado except for some limited areas as authorized by local entities and no matter what you are going to have to purchase a Colorado OHV sticker for it while using it in the state. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

On 1/16/2018 at 3:54 PM, bigboomer said:

Our UTV is legally title, registered and insured in Texas and is street legal for roads up to 45 MPH.

You may have managed to get some registration clerk that doesn't know any better to give you a license plate but Texas law prohibits the usage of a UTV on Texas roadways. If you click on the link Kirk gave you back in July and click the button that says "Utility Type and Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles" you will have your answer. Your dealer sold you a bill of goods if they told you it is legal. It is all right there on the Tx DMV's web page. You won't find many judges that will give you a pass on that ticket either. If you notice the sections below define the vehicle by the intent of the manufacturer,  specifically DO mention that any alterations do not matter and also make no mention of a 45MPH restriction. 
I would be very careful about riding your off-highway vehicle on the roadway in Texas. You might get away with it in a rural county but you won't get away with it inside many cities or a big county. We have several large UTV parks in my area and we catch them on the road all the time. The judge out here has no sympathy. 

May I also ask how tall your rig is with your UTV on top? 

Sec. 502.001 DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:......

37. "Recreational off-highway vehicle" means a motor vehicle that is:
(A) equipped with a seat or seats for the use of:
(i) the rider; and
(ii) a passenger or passengers, if the vehicle is designed by the manufacturer to transport a passenger or passengers;
(B) designed to propel itself with four or more tires in contact with the ground;
(C) designed by the manufacturer for off-highway use by the operator only; and
(D) not designed by the manufacturer primarily for farming or lawn care.

SUBCHAPTER D. VEHICLES NOT ISSUED REGISTRATION

Sec. 502.140. CERTAIN OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLES.
(a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person may not register an all-terrain vehicle or a recreational off-highway vehicle, with or without design alterations, for operation on a public highway.
(b) The state, a county, or a municipality may register an all-terrain vehicle or a recreational off-highway vehicle that is owned by the state, county, or municipality for operation on a public beach or highway to maintain public safety and welfare.
(c) Repealed by Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 895, Sec. 12, eff. September 1, 2013.
(d) Section 504.401 does not apply to an all-terrain vehicle or a recreational off-highway vehicle.(e) An all-terrain vehicle or recreational off-highway vehicle that is owned by the state, a county, or a municipality and operated in compliance with Section 663.037 does not require registration under Subsection (b).

Sec. 663.037. OPERATION ON PUBLIC ROADWAY PROHIBITED. (a) A person may not operate an off-highway vehicle on a public street, road, or highway except as provided by this section.
(b) The operator of an off-highway vehicle may drive the vehicle across a public street, road, or highway that is not an interstate or limited-access highway, if the operator:
(1) brings the vehicle to a complete stop before crossing the shoulder or main traveled way of the roadway;
(2) yields the right-of-way to oncoming traffic that is an immediate hazard; and
(3) makes the crossing:
(A) at an angle of approximately 90 degrees to the roadway;
(B) at a place where no obstruction prevents a quick and safe crossing; and
(C) with the vehicle's headlights and taillights lighted.
(c) The operator of an off-highway vehicle may drive the vehicle across a divided highway other than an interstate or limited access highway only at an intersection of the highway with another public street, road, or highway.
(d) The operator of an off-highway vehicle may drive the vehicle on a public street, road, or highway that is not an interstate or limited-access highway if:
(1) the transportation is in connection with:
(A) the production, cultivation, care, harvesting, preserving, drying, processing, canning, storing, handling, shipping, marketing, selling, or use of agricultural products, as defined by Section 52.002, Agriculture Code; or
(B) utility work performed by a utility;
(2) the operator attaches to the back of the vehicle on top of an eight-foot-long pole a triangular orange flag;
(3) the vehicle's headlights and taillights are illuminated;
(4) the operator holds a driver's license, as defined by Section 521.001;
(5) the operation of the vehicle occurs in the daytime; and
(6) the operation of the vehicle does not exceed a distance of 25 miles from the point of origin to the destination.
(d-1) Provisions of this code regarding helmet and eye protection use, safety certification, and other vehicular restrictions do not apply to Subsection (d).
(e) The director of the Department of Public Safety shall adopt standards and specifications that apply to the color, size, and mounting position of the flag required under Subsections (d)(2) and (g)(2).
(f) Except as provided by Subsection (g), this section does not apply to the operation of an off-highway vehicle that is owned by the state, a county, or a municipality by a person who is an authorized operator of the vehicle.
(g) A peace officer or other person who provides law enforcement, firefighting, ambulance, medical, or other emergency services, including a volunteer firefighter, may operate an all-terrain vehicle on a public street, road, or highway that is not an interstate or limited-access highway only if:
(1) the transportation is in connection with the performance of the operator's official duty;
(2) the operator attaches to the back of the vehicle a triangular orange flag that is at least six feet above ground level;
(3) the vehicle's headlights and taillights are illuminated;
(4) the operator holds a driver's license, as defined by Section 521.001; and
(5) the operation of the all-terrain vehicle does not exceed a distance of 25 miles from the point of origin to the destination.

Edited by Big5er

2014 smart Fortwo

Our side x side is considered a LSV in Texas and meets all of the said requirements under the Texas DMV regulations and has a MSO from the factory which allows for the proper titling and registration in Texas. 

See - http://txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/off-highway-vehicles

It was not simply a mistake by an inexperienced clerk. From all our research this is quite commonplace. 

The nice thing about our side x side is it has all off road capabilities and has so far proven itself here in the AZ desert.

Our total height when the UTV is on top is 13'-2".

See our video at https://youtu.be/uOqqRtzlRjY

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

So you registered your UTV as a NEV/LSV and while you can drive on roads with a 45MPH speed limit your vehicle is limited to a 35MPH max? And that is a vehicle that (in order to really be a LSV, by Federal statute) "the maximum speed attainable in 1.6 km (1 mile) shall not be more than 40 kilometers per hour (25 miles per hour)"? A kid on a bicycle is faster than that. You are aware that any city or county in Texas can simply ban their usage if they want to? I still say your dealer is playing fast and loose with the rules because I seriously doubt it takes any serious UTV a mile to reach 25MPH but what the heck. Think about that, you could get killed taking over a mile to hit your max allowed 35MPH....nope, not me.

I guess that explains why I have never seen one. All the UTV operators I know want to be able to climb more than one or two hills in a day. Registering a slow NEV/LSV so you can drive it on the road in very limited areas seems like a boring UTV and a waste of tax money when the truck and the M/C are already street legal and can be driven, legally and at the speed limit, on any road, in every city, county and state in the country.  

Edited by Big5er

2014 smart Fortwo

You have your fun the way you choose, we have ours....we have our our toys for our needs, you have yours.

Enough said....as usual these threads on these forums have gotten out of hand and personal opinions are now the norm.

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

Neighborhood Electric Vehicles (NEVs)

Low speed vehicles (LSV) 

A vehicle is classified as an LSV or NEV if it has:

• a normal maximum speed of 20-25 mph (LSV) or 20-35 mph (NEV),
  • seat belts,
  • head and tail lights,
  • a windshield,
  • a parking brake,
  • turn signals,
  • rear-view mirrors,
  • brake lights,
  • reflectors, and
  • a valid 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

This information comes from the TX-DOT website. 

The side-by-side (often written as SxS) is a small 2- to 6-person four-wheel drive off-road vehicle, also calledUTV (utility vehicle or utility task vehicle), a ROV (recreational off-highway vehicle), or a MOHUV (multipurpose off-highway utility vehicle).

Edited by Kirk Wood

• 4 weeks later...

So , if reading correctly , I can get license plates for my Kawasaki Mule if i add turn signals ? I have all the other equipment.

IMG_0148 2.jpg

I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake----which I also keep handy.
2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7L CCLWB
2019 Airstream 25FB

VisitedStatesMap.jpg

• 1 year later...

Ok i have a can-am x3 4 seater. We plan on bringing the rv and x3 to waco tx next year. we have plates here in az for our x3 (its simple here in az) so we are street legal. I read to make it street legal in tx we had to add some more equipment (turn singles). Assuming my x3 has all the correct equipment is there a next step to being street legal in tx? Do i have to get tags, tx registration, or what? 

I do not live in tx however i do have family there so i could have a tx address if needed

thx for the help.     

Edited by Fred thornbury

My understanding is that even if you are legal in some states, that doesn’t make it legal in all states. Just because you have plates in Arizona doesn’t make it legal in Texas. Check your local ordinances and your local tax office. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I have no idea about Texas but in Vermont if you want to ride on any trail system you have to register in Vermont, you don't retitle and there is no short term registration.  One weekend a year they recognized the neighboring state of New Hampshire registration. My parents rode ther 4 wheeler in many states over the years and it has stickers on it from many states so a lot of states are that way.

• 5 months later...

I you some how managed to change vehicle classification in your tittle and meet all safety standard and equipment for such class in this case for example motorcycle or autocycle then you can register that vehicle for street use.

13 hours ago, ETA said:

I you some how managed to change vehicle classification in your tittle and meet all safety standard and equipment for such class in this case for example motorcycle or autocycle then you can register that vehicle for street use.

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

• 3 weeks later...

Please note, Things Have Changed in Tx regarding street use of utility vehicles.  I am pasting an article addressing this issue on Padre Island and Corpus Christi.  Please note the legislative action at state level that changed the law, you may want to read this as well.  

Hopefully this will put an end to the uninformed statements of fact by others. All those rules and regs are changed, and it's about time. 

A Path to Allow Utility Vehicles to use City Streets
New state law lets city expand golf cart ordinance
By Dale Rankin

A decade ago the City of Corpus Christi passed an ordinance allowing golf carts on Island streets with a speed limit of 35 miles per hour or under. Since many Islanders already owned utility vehicles there was a push to include them in the city rules so Islanders could use them to get to and from the beach. The plan hit a snag when the City Attorney told members of the Island Strategic Action Committee that anything other than golf carts as defined under state law were prohibited on public streets; the city had no jurisdiction to go around state rules.

Essentially, any vehicle that went over 19 miles per hour was prohibited. Only golf carts that had lights, a horn, and proper signage were legal under the city ordinance.

Fast forward to this week and a perfect storm of events converged to bring the issue back to the ISAC with an eye toward widening the city ordinance to allow UTVs – such as Polaris Rangers and John Deer Gators – on city streets.

The annual reshuffling of beats at the Corpus Christi Police Department recently brought some new officers to Padre Island and a recent change in policy that keeps at least three officers on Padre Island at all times has substantially upped the number of weekly vehicle stops including UTVs. More tickets are being written for UTVs on Island streets and for the first time since golf carts were made legal there was a report this week of a Polaris being impounded while driving on Whitecap Boulevard. Suddenly UTV owners were unsure of where to turn, as it turns out the answer came from Austin.

The Texas Legislature in its 2019 session passed Texas House Bill 1548, which takes effect September 1 and allows cities to widen the rules to include UTVs on city streets. The bill throws the decision on the matter to the Corpus Christi City Council. The bill also provides a path for UTV owners to license their vehicles through the state and drive them on city streets under the current ordinance. With those changes in mind Corpus Christi Police addressed the ISAC this week to seek guidance on whether to amend the City Code to allow for ATVs on Island streets. ISAC members were receptive and said it will be included on next week’s agenda, if approved it could go to the Corpus Christi City Council and be in place shortly after the new state law takes effect on September 1.