portable propane grill

mesa

Looking for input on good portable tabletop grills that have some decent BTUs and if at all possible removable grease trap for easy cleaning, have seen some out there but not a whole lot of reviews. Have the basic Coleman with 1 burner but it takes forever to grill anything.    

Mike Foster

2020 Transcend 221RB

2017 Chevrolet 2500 HD

20190920_161514.jpg

• 1 year later...

Our Webber Q is going strong. Grill size is large enough to cover our needs. About three years ago, our spark starter went out. And when I got a new one sent, it was not for the right version of Q that we have. Admit I maybe possibly procrastinating on this, as I'm just lighting it by hand now:)! 

We keep a few of 1 pound canisters available for use with the Webber and our Larger Heat Buddy, for times we may want to move them to a different location. But we primarily use a hose connected to our large LP Tank, as the only demand left within the coach for LP - is the stove top. It's the end of the 2nd year of travel since last filled, and still showing a glimmer of 3/4 full. 

When the Webber Q goes out, or if I get burr in the behind to change before then:)! I'll take a good look at the Traeger. Below is one unit that I've seen used by a few RV'er's - but they also have two other 'portable' units too. 

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

https://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/town-travel-portable-series/ptg/TFT17LLA.html#gclid=Cj0KCQjw0dHdBRDEARIsAHjZYYAyuvOIOMF63h89wh0ILdFdTAf4UNMMzCNU4hG5NsAHvA9xwKhO__AaAs97EALw_wcB

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I think you will find that the Weber Q beats anything on the market for getting hot and searing. There are various sizes. We have the smallest and it works great...better than my big one at home. 

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

That Blackstone flat top sold on Amazon, has been awesome addition to our outdoor needs. Check it out.

https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Table-Top-Grill-Tailgating/dp/B0195MZHBK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1538652245&sr=8-4&keywords=blackstone+grill

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL (Traded)

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

I went with the Nexgrill 2-Burner Portable Propane Gas Table Top Grill in Stainless Steel, but it flamed up way to much cooking burgers and steaks so I sold it and got the  Weber Q 1200 in blue and then picked up the griddle for it, Very pleased with it and loving the griddle. Seasoned the griddle well and cooking eggs and pancakes with no sticking. :D Thanks for the input all.

Mike Foster

2020 Transcend 221RB

2017 Chevrolet 2500 HD

20190920_161514.jpg

I have the Weber Q 2000. My son talked me into buying a GreenMountain pellet grill simullar to the Treager. I did not like it and have gone back to the Weber. They have a smaller model but I like the larger one. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

• 1 month later...

Weber Q 2200 fan here. 

It's all Aluminum except for the cast iron grates so it doesn't rust!

It has cast iron grates which transfer heat well and give great grill marks.

It has a grease tray on the bottom that you can buy aluminum tray liners for that are easy to remove and don't fall off like some of the use a soup can on this wire thing some grills use.

It's the easiest to clean of all the portable grills I've looked at.  A quick scrap of the grilling surface after it cools, remove the grates and scrape the rounded sides down towards the aforementioned grease tray and remove the tray if it's near full. If not, replace the grates and wait till the next use or before you pack it up to go home.

Besides that, it cooks great and parts are readily available at most big box stores if you need a new grate, ignitor, grease tray liners or anything else. 

I have a weber Q 2200 for camping and a 3200 for at home. 

Edited by CincyGus

I've never seen a tombstone that said "He was a great employee". Be one but be an even greater husband, father, friend and person. That's whats important.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 10:30 AM, jayco1 said:

Have a "Q", smaller size, sparker out after around 4 years. Have to be careful getting cleanup scraps on the burner, really hard to unplug the little holes.

After brushing the stainless steel burner tube, I use a gas welder tip cleaner to unplug the holes in the burner.  You can get the tip cleaners at most hardware stores, which are just like a tiny round file that doesn't really enlarge the holes, but removes the crud.

After brushing the stainless steel burner tube, I use a gas welder tip cleaner to unplug the holes in the burner.  You can get the tip cleaners at most hardware stores, which are just like a tiny round file that doesn't really enlarge the holes, but removes the crud.

Ditto exactly

• 5 months later...

6 years with a Weber Q200 here.  A great grill.  Bought a spare ignitor and burner 4 years ago, but still have not needed them.

Mike & Joan
2006 Volvo 780
2008 KZ Escalade Sportster 41CKS
2001 Honda XR650R
2018 Kymco Spade 150

• 2 months later...
On 5/23/2019 at 8:48 AM, mb36912 said:

6 years with a Weber Q200 here.  A great grill.  Bought a spare ignitor and burner 4 years ago, but still have not needed them.

It's a fantastic one. Perfect for tailgates to cook on or just keep things warm. I also use it frequently to cook brats or italian sausages when I just want a couple for myself. Using it for 5 years already, without any issues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/5/2019 at 6:35 PM, Cowdog353 said:

Anyone else have any problems with the burner tubes? Seems like I have gone thru several,. I use the grill a lot and clean the sides often but not after every use.

thanks, jim

Jim, what's wrong with them? I'd be glad to help.

Not all those who wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2019 at 5:25 PM, joshdoe said:

It's a fantastic one. Perfect for tailgates to cook on or just keep things warm. I also use it frequently to cook brats or italian sausages when I just want a couple for myself. Using it for 5 years already, without any issues.

My Weber is with me for 3 years and still looks like new. There are absolutely no complaints about his work. We love to gather around it with our family in the evening to make a delicious dinner. And on weekends sometimes neighbors come to the aroma for us. So I am delighted with the grills of this company, he became our best friend.

I don’t remember the model right now. As I look, I will add to this message.

15 hours ago, evanssophiya said:

Oh, I remember choosing between Weber Q1000 and my model. There was a choice because friends advised the model Q

I bought the 1200. Very minor difference, electric start and the side tables. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I have the original Weber Q, I think model 100.  14 years and still working great. Added the side trays a few years ago.  Just the two of us but I think it would be fine for a family of 4-6. (depending on the cook 🍗🥩🥓) Disposable drip trays are available everywhere. (think $ stores) Stores well with plumbers propane and all tools inside.  Weber cover is a nice accessory.  Spark start still works.  No issues with burner.

The below worked for me but I am not recommending it for anyone else.  I know someone out there is thinking as I did and might benefit from my experience:

I am an impatient cook so thought the range of flame chould be higher. Using a micro drill bit set I started with a  bit that was the same size as the regulator orifice. Finger twisting, going up one size bit at a time, I tested each until I was satisfied.  It was a long time ago but I don't think it was more than  two or three. Each size made a noticeable difference. Still a nice low and a good for me high.  Of course I waited until it was out of warranty.

Jan and Rocky Larson, Volunteers, USFWS , 9,300 hours each. 29 refuges since 2006. 2 new each year.
2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox Aladdin, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000w PSW inverter

Philippians 4:11-13 KJV

On 11/9/2019 at 7:59 PM, rockylarson said:

I have the original Weber Q, I think model 100.  14 years and still working great. Added the side trays a few years ago.  Just the two of us but I think it would be fine for a family of 4-6. (depending on the cook 🍗🥩🥓) Disposable drip trays are available everywhere. (think $ stores) Stores well with plumbers propane and all tools inside.  Weber cover is a nice accessory.  Spark start still works.  No issues with burner.

The below worked for me but I am not recommending it for anyone else.  I know someone out there is thinking as I did and might benefit from my experience:

I am an impatient cook so thought the range of flame chould be higher. Using a micro drill bit set I started with a  bit that was the same size as the regulator orifice. Finger twisting, going up one size bit at a time, I tested each until I was satisfied.  It was a long time ago but I don't think it was more than  two or three. Each size made a noticeable difference. Still a nice low and a good for me high.  Of course I waited until it was out of warranty.

Wow, 14 years is a great grill life! And I could not think. What dish do you cook most often on your grill? :)