D13 Possible Fuel Pump Issue?

Seniramsu

Hello,

In need of a little guidance on my 2013 Volvo D13. Went out to start it today and it ran then stuttered then just died. It's only been sitting for about 3 weeks and ran fine when I parked it in the garage. Could not get it to start after that, felt/sounded like a fuel issue. Changed out the filters as a possible culprit. I can prime it and get it to crank over but it runs for a few seconds then dies as it seems to run out of fuel. 

Would it most likely be the fuel pump? What's the best way to verify that's the issue? Anything else that would cause these symptoms before I start throwing parts at it?

Oh and YES there is fuel in the tanks. ;)

r/,
Brad

2013 Volvo 780 "Grunt" D13 I-Shift w/ ET Hitch

2016 Cyclone 4200

It sounds like he lost his prime before he changed the fuel filters. Does the D13 have check valves in the fuel delivery system to keep this from happening that may of gone bad? Or maybe a lift pump? 

And I'm assuming you shouldn't start it on either like we used to do the older  Detriit and Cummins engines when they lost prime. 

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Well went over it and looked for leaks and just couldn't find anything. Decided I needed to know what was wrong and called a mobile tech out to see what the issue was.

When he got here I went over what it was doing and what all I had tried. He decided to get in and try to start it.

Wouldn't you know it.................that gosh darn thing struggled for a sec and then fired up! :o

So after priming and trying to start this truck multiple times all day, it decided to run with tech. He hinted at the fact it could be the injectors starting to go and suggested I take it out for a run today and see how it does.

Just went out this morning and it fired right up like it has so many other times before. 

The fuel/water filter was soaked about half way, showed that to the tech and he didn't seemed concerned with it. 

So guess I'll be going out for a road trip today.

2016 Cyclone 4200

8 minutes ago, Rick & Alana said:

It sounds like he lost his prime before he changed the fuel filters. Does the D13 have check valves in the fuel delivery system to keep this from happening that may of gone bad? Or maybe a lift pump? 

And I'm assuming you shouldn't start it on either like we used to do the older  Detriit and Cummins engines when they lost prime. 

Hey Rick, that tech wanted me to call him today after I take it out on a run. I'll ask him about the check valve, thanks for the suggestion. 

One good thing is I know now  a lot more about the fuel system on my truck!

2016 Cyclone 4200

There is a check valve at the front of the engine, right near the top.  I have heard of several folks, including bmzero on this forum, who went through the expense of changing out all their injectors, only to find that the check valve was bad.

The tech is correct, the fuel/water separator does not need to be changed until it shows fuel near the top of the bowl.  The reason I asked about it, the black cap has an o ring that can leak air and with a new filter, it is possible to lose prime.  That would be indicated by no fuel at all in the bowl.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

3 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

The reason I asked about it, the black cap has an o ring that can leak air

If that o-ring is leaking, the fuel level in the filter will drop.  I had it happen on the Mack, and it drove me nuts.  I spent way too much time and energy (and $) over thinking it, before I changed that simple piece.

Put a piece of tape at the fuel level on the glass bowl.  Come back a while later and see if it's changed.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

If you have the second fuel filter on your truck (mine is on the driver side) and it was replaced, so many times the rubber gasket on that my still be up in the housing of where the filter is.  You need to make sure that when you remove that one, that the gasket comes out also before installing the new one.

No smoke (white or dark) upon startup?

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I did verify I had that gasket off when I changed out the other filter. As of now, i doesn't appear there is an issue. Took it out for a 100mile trip and it performed flawlessly. 

No smoke at all on startup. I'm going to let it sit for a few days and see if it loses prime again. Hoping whatever the issue was got corrected when I changed out the filters. 

I do notice that I see fuel still in the Davco filter.......where before I changed it I couldn't. It was like that from the day I brought it home though. So Rick you might be right that I could of had a small leak with that O ring. 

Thanks for suggestions on what to look for. Very thankful for this site!

2016 Cyclone 4200

I had a similar issue this spring.  Mine would lose prime and I would have to use the primer pump to get it started but once going it was fine.  It did this for a few weeks then fixed itself when I dropped the truck at the mechanics.  Kind of like when I go to the Doctor.  I suspect it was a sticky check valve.  I don't understand the fuel was only about seven months old.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

I have a Volvo wia 64 with a Detroit 11.1.  this happened to me before  so I called my tech and he said my coolent system was low on water.  Add more coolant.....I looked and sure enough the sensor in the coolant tank was exposed.  I know that this holds true for Detroit but not so sure for other powerplants.  Check your coolant tank and see how much coolant you have.  OBTW.....Have not had an issue since.

• 3 years later...