Truck Bed Hidden Hinges

VegasFlyer

As we are in the final phase of building our extended truck bed, we are not too happy with our arrangement of hinges for tool box doors on the sides of the bed.

We have fabed up the doors to swing on a vertical axis with the latches toward the rear.  We tried piano hinges and are not happy with the amount of slop in the hinges.

We have contemplated going with external hinges, similar to the ones on Jack's new bed, but would like to explore all possibilities.  

Does anyone know of a brand or source of other hidden type hinges for that application?

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

When I get a chance, I'd like to hunt down some pantograph hinges, similar to the type used on cargo doors on busses.  Theirs go up.....that may work better in our application.  We can generally afford a little lost space at the top rather than have something like cords and hoses interfering with the hinge being on the inside side.

I currently have piano hinges, they work ok but rust shows all along the spine of the hinge.

9 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

We have fabbed up the doors to swing on a vertical axis with the latches toward the rear.  We tried piano hinges and are not happy with the amount of slop in the hinges.

Any chance it's an issue with the specific hinge you chose? I'm having a hard time imagining how a piano hinge could have slop in it.

10 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

As we are in the final phase of building our extended truck bed, we are not too happy with our arrangement of hinges for tool box doors on the sides of the bed.

We have fabed up the doors to swing on a vertical axis with the latches toward the rear.  We tried piano hinges and are not happy with the amount of slop in the hinges.

We have contemplated going with external hinges, similar to the ones on Jack's new bed, but would like to explore all possibilities.  

Does anyone know of a brand or source of other hidden type hinges for that application?

Hey John,

Next time ya wander into the ole 747.....stop at the door and take a gander at the "hidden hinges" ...........being a Lazy-B part they ain't too cheep but they seldom fall off the door.....

Just don't fall for the surplus early DC-10 door latches.......

Drive on........(don't become unhinged or.......unlatched)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We appreciate the posts so far.

While it is true that the piano hinge which we started with was not the moist stout product, we were also hoping to find other ideas, to avoid the complaints many folks have had with a piano hinge, like the rust that Roger mentioned, or paint coming off, etc.

a larger version of the european cabinet hinge would be great.  Sourcing them is another issue altogether.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Henry modified some regular door hinges to make hidden hinges in Bandbuds truck a few years ago.  I think the pictures were on another forum but I couldn't find them went I went looking a couple of weeks ago.  Maybe drop him a note and see if he still has the pictures.  It looked like a pretty slick and inexpensive solution.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Archived