Ordering a new Volvo and could use some opinions

13speed

The custom manufacturers

On 6/10/2017 at 11:59 AM, 13speed said:

So Jack which is it? You said a few posts ago that the NH's and SC's can build a great solar set up but then I just read a post in another thread where you said this.

"

The custom manufacturers typically do a good job on pretty complex systems. As I said, if it is something unusual AND they choose to do it, they usually get me involved. But not always. It just depends. For example, NH has installed some LFP battery systems and I referred them to Starlight to do that specific battery bank. And gave them advice about where to put it, and why to put it there. They then implemented it themselves. It is not rocket science and they have competent electrical people.   So they put in their pre configured packages just fine, including things as complex as what Chad did, or what I have (basically equivalent). That is because I've worked with them to get it right. The right size wiring, the right components, etc. 

If you want something totally unusual for an RV they are smart enough not to do it, after a couple of disastrous experiences. Not that they did anything bad with those, just that it cost a lot of time and money to get it right. But I don't know ANYONE in these forums that are asking for things like that. 

In your case if you want LFP or similar chemistry batteries and they don't want to do that, just put in a small bank and replace it with the LFP yourself. The rest is the same (or can be if you configure it correctly). The only thing even close to exotic you have mentioned is LIthium batteries. Perhaps you have other more complex ideas that I don't know about. It will ALWAYS be cheaper to do it yourself. A LOT cheaper.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

This looks like some good money being spent here and I would have to look down the road on this buy, I would spend the money on a VNL 730 or 780 with the work station and the D-13 and Autoshift and then I would leave the dual axles on it due to the weight of the trailer and you will not get a double look from DOT wondering are you over weight or not but the current specs don't let the DOT have a reason to pull you over and put you on scales, the overweight fine maybe a bit hefty so think this over, oh yeah will you be registering the truck as a motorhome or will you be required to obtain a CDL according to your state. again do the math and enjoy your decision.

Grayling & Shirley

2000 Volvo 420, single Axle, 370 ISM, 10 speed

2001 Holiday Rambler Presidential 37' SKT

US Army MSG (Ret) Transportation Corps

(see You Tube Channel Max1Chase1)

Archived