Ordering a new Volvo and could use some opinions

13speed

13 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Gave you one name that will do the job and several others have offered a shop as well. One thing I learned a long time ago, if someone doesn't want to do a job, find someone else and don't worry about it.

I will find someone. Now that I have a general plan of how it is going to work it will be easier to communicate what I need done.

I was just having a little fun with my situation with RVH.

12 hours ago, noteven said:

A Kenworth has a 5 year frame warranty which would not be "voided" by installing equipment or a body with good workmanship and in accordance with their Body Builder Manual. If you torch a notch in the top flange of the rail to route wiring for your eleventeenth side rear panavision camera, they will fuss a little if you come in with a frame deflection complaint. 

Exactly! I will be removing/replacing a few bolts not doing anything to weaken the frame/truck.

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a D13 with 405hp XE, 1450/1550 torque. It handles our 24K trailer fine but if I were to do it again I would order a D13 455 hp with 1550/1650 torque and not the XE package. I would go with the dual torque. If the dealer will support you on no FET with a 12K front and 21K rear then that is good.

You will be close on your weights but Volvo is comfortable with you exceeding your weight rating by 15% or so (not officially but engineers have stated as much verbally).

The VNR 400 is the new model body which looks nice but I hope it will be comfortable for you on long trips. Shorter WB and the cab set up is different than a VNL 730/780.

Good luck and enjoy the process. Welcome to new!

David

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

On 5/24/2017 at 7:13 PM, 13speed said:

The angles come off but the plate is still to wide. All but the upper two spring retainer bolts have to be cut anyways so I don't think it will be to hard to slide it in from the back. 

hitch mount - 1.pdf   

Have you asked Ed to make the base plate smaller so it WILL fit in between the truck rails?

47 minutes ago, dgrulke said:

Have you asked Ed to make the base plate smaller so it WILL fit in between the truck rails?

Who's Ed? Anyways I found out it will fit between the rails the way it is. Tight but it will fit. The install should be and I say should be, pretty straight forward. The measurements on the Volvo with the hitch 16" forward of the rear axle are the same as a pickup truck with the hitch mounted 2" forward of the axle so this should work well. I will be 65-66 feet long with a 49' trailer cap to cap. 

2018 NH 48' Majestic

I'm not intending to throw a wrench in your plans, but I want to make sure you are aware of some information.  I have been following this thread and was paying attention to the truck length and not the trailer length until your last post.  Are you aware a 49' recreational 5th wheel will not be legal in many states?  

For example, recreational 5th wheel trailers in CA can only be up to 48 feet total length but it cannot be more than 40 feet from the king pin to the rearmost axle.  The applicable CA vehicle codes are 35400 and 35400.6.  You would not be able to enter the state of CA with your proposed trailer.  Vehicle length limitations have to do with the way roads are designed.  Commercial vehicles are exempt from these length laws, but are also restricted to the national network of interstates and local terminal routes.  I am not familiar with the laws in all 50 states, but I would venture to guess there are a number of other states with similar laws restricting recreational trailer lengths.  You could avoid these laws by running commercial, but then you would have a whole new set of problems.

On edit:  CA used to have a much shorter trailer length restriction for recreational trailers (40 feet).  It was only updated to the new lengths in 2014.  

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

CA used to have a much shorter trailer length restriction for recreational trailers (40 feet)

As I recall that was to the forward most axle and it's still that way in many other states.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Question:  Irregardless of State, has anyone ever known of an instance of a citation being issued for a rv being overlength-not double towing, not in excess of commercial length rules?  Specifically over length per that States particular laws.

6 minutes ago, bja1234 said:

Question:  Irregardless of State, has anyone ever known of an instance of a citation being issued for a rv being overlength-not double towing, not in excess of commercial length rules?  Specifically over length per that States particular laws.

Combined over length total (65 ft) yes.  In Texas.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

10 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

I'm not intending to throw a wrench in your plans, but I want to make sure you are aware of some information.  I have been following this thread and was paying attention to the truck length and not the trailer length until your last post.  Are you aware a 49' recreational 5th wheel will not be legal in many states?  

For example, recreational 5th wheel trailers in CA can only be up to 48 feet total length but it cannot be more than 40 feet from the king pin to the rearmost axle.  The applicable CA vehicle codes are 35400 and 35400.6.  You would not be able to enter the state of CA with your proposed trailer.  Vehicle length limitations have to do with the way roads are designed.  Commercial vehicles are exempt from these length laws, but are also restricted to the national network of interstates and local terminal routes.  I am not familiar with the laws in all 50 states, but I would venture to guess there are a number of other states with similar laws restricting recreational trailer lengths.  You could avoid these laws by running commercial, but then you would have a whole new set of problems.

On edit:  CA used to have a much shorter trailer length restriction for recreational trailers (40 feet).  It was only updated to the new lengths in 2014.  

Pin tp bumper will be 48 or less. I was saying 49 point of cap to bumper. It would take a seriously anal bunch of cops to tell 48 from 49 at that point. I will have at least 8' of rear overhang so I am fine on the pin to first axle thing. 

While it is almost impossible for most HDT'rs to meet every law in every state I feel that I will be much closer than most. I will be within inches of being 65' overall where as many on here are much, much longer. My trailer will be registered at 48' as only the point/curve of the cap will be over. 

Many people on here including Jack for example are over most states trailer lengths as well as overall or combined lengths. His trailer is 44.5 floor line which is 45.5 pin to bumper and 46.5 cap to bumper. With his previous 780 he was at 74' total if I remember correctly. I stressed over all of the laws when I first joined this forum a while back but came to find that under most circumstances only the flagrant violators have any issues with the LEO's.

2018 NH 48' Majestic

The King pin to axle distance "should" be a known factor to Space Craft, I would urge you to confirm the distance is under 40'.     That said with a 48' trailer to be the over all length you mention, means a deep king pin, 36-48" so that helps the number by itself.    

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

2 hours ago, 13speed said:

Pin tp bumper will be 48 or less. I was saying 49 point of cap to bumper. It would take a seriously anal bunch of cops to tell 48 from 49 at that point. I will have at least 8' of rear overhang so I am fine on the pin to first axle thing. 

While it is almost impossible for most HDT'rs to meet every law in every state I feel that I will be much closer than most. I will be within inches of being 65' overall where as many on here are much, much longer. My trailer will be registered at 48' as only the point/curve of the cap will be over. 

Many people on here including Jack for example are over most states trailer lengths as well as overall or combined lengths. His trailer is 44.5 floor line which is 45.5 pin to bumper and 46.5 cap to bumper. With his previous 780 he was at 74' total if I remember correctly. I stressed over all of the laws when I first joined this forum a while back but came to find that under most circumstances only the flagrant violators have any issues with the LEO's.

I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the issue and it sounds like you are.  Overall length, however, is a different animal than individual length of any one piece of the train.  Overall length can be solved by separating the train, individual length cannot.  I am personally aware of several instances in CA where vehicles were refused entry into the state because they were too long.  These instances were motorhomes which where longer than 45' (the max length for a motorhome in CA), but the same would apply in your situation.  It would be a lot of work to know the specific individual length trailer laws in all 50 states.  They are not as readily published as overall length laws are.  As long as you are aware and are willing to deal with the consequences, I won't belabor the point.  I just wanted to make sure you were informed on the issue.

I personally like what you are doing with your truck, keeping is short.  I like my short wheelbase truck and have no desire to go to a longer one.  I would even like to go to an Argosy to potentially shorten my current length, but still be able to haul a motorcycle on the deck.  The trailer you are looking at sounds very nice.  It is longer than what I would be comfortable with, not for pulling, just because of the places I like to go it would cause issues with the length.  I am pushing it in some of the spots I go to with my 42 ft trailer. ;)

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

4 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the issue and it sounds like you are.  Overall length, however, is a different animal than individual length of any one piece of the train.  Overall length can be solved by separating the train, individual length cannot.  I am personally aware of several instances in CA where vehicles were refused entry into the state because they were too long.  These instances were motorhomes which where longer than 45' (the max length for a motorhome in CA), but the same would apply in your situation.  It would be a lot of work to know the specific individual length trailer laws in all 50 states.  They are not as readily published as overall length laws are.  As long as you are aware and are willing to deal with the consequences, I won't belabor the point.  I just wanted to make sure you were informed on the issue.

I personally like what you are doing with your truck, keeping is short.  I like my short wheelbase truck and have no desire to go to a longer one.  I would even like to go to an Argosy to potentially shorten my current length, but still be able to haul a motorcycle on the deck.  The trailer you are looking at sounds very nice.  It is longer than what I would be comfortable with, not for pulling, just because of the places I like to go it would cause issues with the length.  I am pushing it in some of the spots I go to with my 42 ft trailer. ;)

I appreciate it.  We are aware that we will not fit everywhere but accept that in trade for having a bigger house. So many people have these monster long trucks and then live in either a cramped trailer or are just stupid long. As for the short tractor, I have played a trucker in real life so I have no desire to play one on TV. The issue in tight spots is not really about trailer length it is more about tractor length.

After looking at Good Sams length by state list I will be in friendly states most of the time. I dislike the east coast/north east and mid west problem states save for FL and will be in the west most of the time. I think I will be fine in CA unless they really want to fight over a few inches. From what Jack and others have said in the past the worst that has happened to someone is a ticket and those are rare. 

2018 NH 48' Majestic

3 hours ago, 13speed said:

I appreciate it.  We are aware that we will not fit everywhere but accept that in trade for having a bigger house. So many people have these monster long trucks and then live in either a cramped trailer or are just stupid long. As for the short tractor, I have played a trucker in real life so I have no desire to play one on TV. The issue in tight spots is not really about trailer length it is more about tractor length.

After looking at Good Sams length by state list I will be in friendly states most of the time. I dislike the east coast/north east and mid west problem states save for FL and will be in the west most of the time. I think I will be fine in CA unless they really want to fight over a few inches. From what Jack and others have said in the past the worst that has happened to someone is a ticket and those are rare. 

A couple decades ago I had a part-time-avionics that worked full time at Beaver Coaches….and he became involved in a rush-rework-of a lot of new Beaver Mega-Coaches.

Beaver came up with a New Mega-Coach that was 45 Feet overall……..sorta…..sorta not….

Most” of the coach was a basic 45 foot coach but the front and back caps were “Re-styled” and the new “Style” was about 45 Ft 7 inches……...just a tad over 45 ft you say…….

Well Beaver was selling lotsa of the new coaches and the factory delivery lot was filling up with the “New-Mega-Coaches”……..

Well as “luck” would have it the first completed “Mega-Coach” was to be displayed at a RV show in S. Kalifornia……….and just like Chad said a DOT and CHP “greeting-party” not only stopped the “Mega-Coach” at Weed, CA just as it entered CA but they actually impounded the rig for a while as some tempers flared……….

So the over length “issue” was easily “resolved”………..California held fast at 45 feet FIRM….. and ………..Beaver “Restyled the Restyled” caps back to 44 Ft 10 inches on EVERY finished “Mega-Coach” that they had built………..and NO it was NOT Cheep to fix the “too-long-for-Kalifornia-problem”.

Rumor has it that Kaloifornia has several of those “forty-five-foot-tapes” they don't need any longer tapes it seems…….

Drive on………….(California can be ……….Kalifornia…..(and no it is not just a southern chunk of Oregon))

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I grew up in a Military family.  We moved every year, at least, except for a few 3 year stints.  One in Alaska and one in Germany, which were both nice places to be for 3 years. My family did 17 moves in 22 years.  Sometimes we moved more than once a year.  So we drove...  a lot...

We drove a lot, including the Alcan in 1962 and 1966. Rough!  Gravel bayby, Gravel!

I remember the first time crossing into California(the mid 60's).  It was like going through Customs entering Austria or Italy.  They were hell bent on finding oranges for sure.

Funny how an RV or Orange will almost put you in Jail, but a murderer crossing the border for the 17th deportation-return is hailed today as a Civil Rights hero...

<<Les Garten>>

Wow....you guys are depressing:(

I understand that CA can be a PITA. I guess if they don't let me in I will just go elsewhere. Do none of the people with longer rigs ever go there? 

Where does it say that 48' is ok in CA? I can't find anything.

2018 NH 48' Majestic

I understand that CA can be a PITA. I guess if they don't let me in I will just go elsewhere. Do none of the people with longer rigs ever go there? 

I listed the vehicle code sections in my first post about trailer length.  They are 35400 VC and 35400.6 VC.  I only talked about CA because that is the one I know. I'd be willing to bet there are quite a few states that are the same or less, but I haven't done the research.  CA used to be 40 feet (I think, I forget exactly).  It only changed to 48 feet relatively recently in 2014.  That only happened as a result of some serious lobbying from some RVers and manufacturers who were trying to buy/sell some of the then newer, longer 5ers and toy haulers.

event.png    

You know 13 just one of us stretching the RV a few feet past the limit is somewhat different than a motorhome factory that has $7,678,800.00 of  "over length-inventory" sitting the the delivery yard.......ouch

Call me depressing or ugly (but not late for a meal) but sometimes we might stand back and focus out here.........JUST how far past the law do we want to skate.........you know Chad or Big5er or V F did not make the laws........they are the guys that have to make the call as to how far we .....skate.....too far past the law(s).........

Is it not a little odd that we are talking about a New-Short-Tractor that is about to likely hitched to a over length trailer ........

This is a bit like that guy that says he no longer beats his wife with a hickory bat ......no now he uses a plastic bat......

Lately it seems that more and more insurance underwriters are becoming more "suspect" of long RV's.....

Who are we to think that NO one knows how long our rigs are???

Drive on.........(be careful who you think you are ..........Kidding........maybe ourselves......depressing)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Dolley, It is not odd at all. I am doing nothing wrong. My trailer is going to be legal in more states than not. If my trailer were shorter I would still have a "short" truck because I do not need to pretend I am a big trucker and find BS reasons to "need" a full condo tractor like most here do. The bulk of the people on this forum are breaking one state or another's laws at any given time. When I voiced those concerns about "the laws" here on this forum everyone here told me not to worry about it as very few have ever had issues. Now that I am finally building my trailer suddenly everyone is so concerned with my length. 

As for your remark about "Lately it seems that more and more insurance underwriters are becoming more "suspect" of long RV's....." I gave my length to the insurance company and they had no issues. I am not getting away with anything or lying or misconstruing anything that will harm anyone in the future. 

There are many with trailers longer than mine but the difference is that they couple them to large, long tractors and are breaking many more laws. I am actually going to great lengths to be as close to legal in as many ways as I can in as many states as I can while still having the things I want to have. 

Lastly, You are darn right I want a large roomy trailer. It is going to be my home for many years and I don't want to "make do" with skimpy little showers or toilet rooms that are to small to change your mind in. You may enjoy this but I do not. 

2018 NH 48' Majestic

9 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

I listed the vehicle code sections in my first post about trailer length.  They are 35400 VC and 35400.6 VC.  I only talked about CA because that is the one I know. I'd be willing to bet there are quite a few states that are the same or less, but I haven't done the research.  CA used to be 40 feet (I think, I forget exactly).  It only changed to 48 feet relatively recently in 2014.  That only happened as a result of some serious lobbying from some RVers and manufacturers who were trying to buy/sell some of the then newer, longer 5ers and toy haulers.

Chad, I looked up those codes and they say nothing about RV's. If you can post up something that does I would appreciate it as I can only find things that state that CA is 40' for RV's. Below is what I have been using. Some states are shorter, some are longer and some have NS (non specified) but there are a lot more longer than shorter states.

https://www.goodsamcamping.com/plan/SizeLimits.aspx

2018 NH 48' Majestic

35400 specifically states no vehicle may exceed 40 feet and then goes on to list some exceptions to that length.

35400.6 is specific to Fifth-Wheel Travel Trailers

I have pasted in the full text of both below.  The underlines were added by me and are the applicable sections for RV related lengths.

VC§ 35400.     Maximum Vehicle Length: General Limitations
(a)    A vehicle may not exceed a length of 40 feet.
(b)     This section does not apply to any of the following:
(1)     A vehicle used in a combination of vehicles when the excess length is caused by auxiliary parts, equipment, or machinery not used as space to carry any part of the load, except that the combination of vehicles shall not exceed the length provided for combination vehicles.
(2)     A vehicle, when the excess length is caused by any parts necessary to comply with the fender and mudguard regulations of this code.
(3)     (A)     An articulated bus or articulated trolley coach that does not exceed a length of 60 feet.
(B)     An articulated bus or articulated trolley coach described in subparagraph (A) may be equipped with a folding device attached to the front of the bus or trolley if the device is designed and used exclusively for transporting bicycles. The device, including any bicycles transported thereon, shall be mounted in a manner that does not materially affect efficiency or visibility of vehicle safety equipment, and shall not extend more than 36 inches from the front body of the bus or trolley coach when fully deployed. The handlebars of a bicycle that is transported on a device described in this subparagraph shall not extend more than 42 inches from the front of the bus.
(4)     A semitrailer while being towed by a motortruck or truck tractor, if the distance from the kingpin to the rearmost axle of the semitrailer does not exceed 40 feet for semitrailers having two or more axles, or 38 feet for semitrailers having one axle if the semitrailer does not, exclusive of attachments, extend forward of the rear of the cab of the motortruck or truck tractor.
(5)     A bus or house car when the excess length is caused by the projection of a front safety bumper or a rear safety bumper, or both. The safety bumper shall not cause the length of the vehicle to exceed the maximum legal limit by more than one foot in the front and one foot in the rear. For the purposes of this chapter, "safety bumper" means any device that is fitted on an existing bumper or which replaces the bumper and is constructed, treated, or manufactured to absorb energy upon impact.
(6)     A schoolbus, when the excess length is caused by the projection of a crossing control arm. For the purposes of this chapter, "crossing control arm" means an extendable and retractable device fitted to the front of a schoolbus that is designed to impede movement of pupils exiting the schoolbus directly in front of the schoolbus so that pupils are visible to the driver while they are moving in front of the schoolbus. An operator of a schoolbus shall not extend a crossing control arm while the schoolbus is in motion. Except when activated, a crossing control arm shall not cause the maximum length of the schoolbus to be extended by more than 10 inches, inclusive of any front safety bumper. Use of a crossing control arm by the operator of a schoolbus does not, in and of itself, fulfill his or her responsibility to ensure the safety of students crossing a highway or private road pursuant to Section 22112.
(7)     A bus, when the excess length is caused by a device, located in front of the front axle, for lifting wheelchairs into the bus. That device shall not cause the length of the bus to be extended by more than 18 inches, inclusive of any front safety bumper.
(8)     A bus, when the excess length is caused by a device attached to the rear of the bus designed and used exclusively for the transporting of bicycles. This device may be up to 10 feet in length, if the device, along with any other device permitted pursuant to this section, does not cause the total length of the bus, including any device or load, to exceed 50 feet.
(9)    A bus operated by a public agency or a passenger stage corporation, as defined in Section 226 of the Public Utilities Code, used in transit system service, other than a schoolbus, when the excess length is caused by a folding device attached to the front of the bus which is designed and used exclusively for transporting bicycles. The device, including any bicycles transported thereon, shall be mounted in a manner that does not materially affect efficiency or visibility of vehicle safety equipment, and shall not extend more than 40 inches from the front body of the bus when fully deployed. The handlebars of a bicycle that is transported on a device described in this paragraph shall not extend more than 46 inches from the front of the bus. A device described in this paragraph may not be used on a bus that, exclusive of the device, exceeds 40 feet in length or on a bus having a device attached to the rear of the bus pursuant to paragraph (8).
(10)    (A)    A bus of a length of up to 45 feet when operating on those highways specified in subdivision (a) of Section 35401.5. The Department of Transportation or local authorities, with respect to highways under their respective jurisdictions, may not deny reasonable access to a bus of a length of up to 45 feet between the highways specified in subdivision (a) of Section 35401.5 and points of loading and unloading for motor carriers of passengers as required by the federal Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 (Public Law 102-240).
(B)    A bus operated by a public agency and on those highways specified in subparagraph (A) may be equipped with a folding device attached to the front of the bus that is designed and used exclusively for transporting bicycles. The device, including all bicycles transported thereon, may be mounted in a manner that does not materially affect efficiency or visibility of vehicle safety equipment, and may not extend more than 36 inches from the front body of the bus when fully deployed. The handlebars of a bicycle that is transported on a device described in this subparagraph may not extend more than 42 inches from the front of the bus. The total length of the bus, including the folding device or load, may not exceed 48.5 feet. A Route Review Committee, established under this subparagraph, shall review the routes where a public agency proposes to operate a 45-foot bus equipped with a front-mounted bicycle rack. The Route Review Committee shall be comprised of one member from the public agency appointed by the general manager of the public agency; one member who is a traffic engineer and is employed and selected by the public agency that has jurisdiction over the largest proportional share of routes among all affected agencies; and one member appointed by the labor organization that is the exclusive representative of the bus drivers of the public agency. If there is no exclusive representative of the bus drivers, a bus driver member shall be chosen by a majority vote of the bus drivers employed by the agency. The members of the Route Review Committee shall be selected not more than 30 days after receipt of a public agency proposal to equip a 45-foot bus with a front-mounted bicycle rack. The review shall include a field review of the proposed routes. The purpose of the Route Review Committee is to ensure the safe operation of a 45-foot bus that is equipped with a front-mounted bicycle rack. The Route Review Committee, by a unanimous vote, shall make a determination of which routes are suitable for the safe operation of a 45-foot bus that is equipped with a front-mounted bicycle rack. These determinations shall be consistent with the operating requirements specified in subparagraph (A). It is the intent of the Legislature that the field review required under this subparagraph include consultation with traffic engineers from affected public agencies that have jurisdiction over segments of the route or routes under review, to ensure coordination with all affected state and local public road agencies that may potentially be impacted due to the operation of a 45-foot bus with a front-mounted bicycle rack.
(11)     (A)     A house car of a length of up to 45 feet when operating on the National System of Interstate and Defense Highways or when using those portions of federal aid primary system highways that have been qualified by the United States Secretary of Transportation for that use, or when using routes appropriately identified by the Department of Transportation or local authorities, with respect to highways under their respective jurisdictions.
(B)     A house car described in subparagraph (A) may be operated on a highway that provides reasonable access to facilities for purposes limited to fuel, food, and lodging when that access is consistent with the safe operation of the vehicle and when the facility is within one road mile of identified points of ingress and egress to or from highways specified in subparagraph (A) for use by that vehicle.
(C)      As used in this paragraph and paragraph (10), "reasonable access" means access substantially similar to that authorized for combinations of vehicles pursuant to subdivision (c) of Section 35401.5.
(D)     Any access route established by a local authority pursuant to subdivision (d) of Section 35401.5 is open for access by a house car of a length of up to 45 feet. In addition, local authorities may establish a process whereby access to services by house cars of a length of up to 45 feet may be applied for upon a route not previously established as an access route. The denial of a request for access to services shall be only on the basis of safety and an engineering analysis of the proposed access route. In lieu of processing an access application, local authorities, with respect to highways under their jurisdiction, may provide signing, mapping, or a listing of highways, as necessary, to indicate the use of these specific routes by a house car of a length of up to 45 feet.
(c)     The Legislature, by increasing the maximum permissible kingpin to rearmost axle distance to 40 feet effective January 1, 1987, as provided in paragraph (4) of subdivision (b), does not intend this action to be considered a precedent for any future increases in truck size and length limitations.
(d)     Any transit bus equipped with a folding device installed on or after January 1, 1999, that is permitted under subparagraph (B) of paragraph (3) of subdivision (b) or under paragraph (9) of subdivision (b) shall be additionally equipped with any of the following:
(1)     An indicator light that is visible to the driver and is activated whenever the folding device is in an extended position.
(2)     Any other device or mechanism that provides notice to the driver that the folding device is in an extended position.
(3)     A mechanism that causes the folding device to retract automatically from an extended position.
(e)    (1)    A person may not improperly or unsafely mount a bicycle on a device described in subparagraph (B) of paragraph (3) of subdivision (b), or in paragraph (9) or (10) of subdivision (b).
(2)     Notwithstanding subdivision (a) of Section 23114 or subdivision (a) of Section 24002 or any other provision of law, when a bicycle is improperly or unsafely loaded by a passenger onto a transit bus, the passenger, and not the driver, is liable for any violation of this code that is attributable to the improper or unlawful loading of the bicycle.

VC§ 35400.6.     Fifth-Wheel Travel Trailer
(a)    Subdivision (a) of Section 35400 does not apply to a fifth-wheel travel trailer that does not exceed the following lengths:
(1)    Forty-eight feet in length from the foremost point of the trailer to the rear extremity of the trailer.
(2)    (A)    For a fifth-wheel travel trailer with a single axle, 38 feet in length from the kingpin to the rearmost axle.
(B)    For a fifth-wheel travel trailer with two or more axles, 40 feet in length from the kingpin to the rearmost axle.
(b)    A manufacturer of a fifth-wheel travel trailer described by subdivision (a) shall include in the delivery documents the information necessary to register that fifth-wheel travel trailer, including its overall length pursuant to paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) and a declaration that its length is in compliance with subparagraph (A) or subparagraph (B) of paragraph (2) of subdivision (a). The dealer may reject acceptance of the fifth-wheel travel trailer if this documentation is not provided.

event.png    

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Wife and I are very content with 40'. It just us two though

Some people are just fine with that and that is great. It would be easier if we were the type like you that can be fine in a smaller space but that is not me and Tracey. We want our current custom home to be recreated on wheels and that is just what NH is doing for us. In fact most older folks are probably not going to like our trailer because it will be nothing like what NH is known for. It has a more contemporary interior with things meant to be cleaner and less gaudy. I have pushed the envelope on roominess and storage possibilities as well as adding some really cool features. 

Everyone on this forum seems to like the status quo. It is pretty obvious that I do not fit in very well in this group with my "crazy" different ideas and desire to do something different. From my "small" tractor with the hitch forward idea to my "huge" trailer and I am sure my "style".

Oh well I don't really fit in anywhere as I am neither a Republican nor Democrat. I am not religious, I drink way too much, love my Led Zeppelin and I have crazy ideas to boot........oh my!.....:D

2018 NH 48' Majestic

1 hour ago, Chad Heiser said:

VC§ 35400.6.     Fifth-Wheel Travel Trailer
(a)    Subdivision (a) of Section 35400 does not apply to a fifth-wheel travel trailer that does not exceed the following lengths:
(1)    Forty-eight feet in length from the foremost point of the trailer to the rear extremity of the trailer.
(2)    (A)    For a fifth-wheel travel trailer with a single axle, 38 feet in length from the kingpin to the rearmost axle.
(B)    For a fifth-wheel travel trailer with two or more axles, 40 feet in length from the kingpin to the rearmost axle.
(b)    A manufacturer of a fifth-wheel travel trailer described by subdivision (a) shall include in the delivery documents the information necessary to register that fifth-wheel travel trailer, including its overall length pursuant to paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) and a declaration that its length is in compliance with subparagraph (A) or subparagraph (B) of paragraph (2) of subdivision (a). The dealer may reject acceptance of the fifth-wheel travel trailer if this documentation is not provided.

I had not found that section just the first. I should be fine as my pin to bumper is 47'-6" and it will say that it is a 48' on the unit as well as the paperwork of which I will be sure to keep handy when traveling to the peoples republic.  

BTW, That is quite the Solar/battery set up you have. The diagram is way over my head but your system is very impressive. I would love to take a look some day. I like what you did with your truck as well. 

2018 NH 48' Majestic

Understand and not being critical. We have king bed, residential fridge 22 cf I believe. Big screen TV. Nice size sofa. 2 recliners. Lots of pantry, storage, cabinets. And ours is oak so it is not dark. Yours will be huge even compared to ours. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

44 minutes ago, 13speed said:

Some people are just fine with that and that is great. It would be easier if we were the type like you that can be fine in a smaller space but that is not me and Tracey. We want our current custom home to be recreated on wheels and that is just what NH is doing for us. In fact most older folks are probably not going to like our trailer because it will be nothing like what NH is known for. It has a more contemporary interior with things meant to be cleaner and less gaudy. I have pushed the envelope on roominess and storage possibilities as well as adding some really cool features. 

Everyone on this forum seems to like the status quo. It is pretty obvious that I do not fit in very well in this group with my "crazy" different ideas and desire to do something different. From my "small" tractor with the hitch forward idea to my "huge" trailer and I am sure my "style".

Oh well I don't really fit in anywhere as I am neither a Republican nor Democrat. I am not religious, I drink way too much, love my Led Zeppelin and I have crazy ideas to boot........oh my!.....:D

I wanna see it?  I wanna see it?   I wanna see it?

Does that get me to the top of the list for the picture distributions when it is done!

;-)

p.s.  after this last election, I'm not a R or D either, I've been drinking way too much longer than you have.  I have the entire Led Zep Library that was remastered.  All that has to count for something...

<<Les Garten>>

Archived