Av8r3400's 730 Build

Av8r3400

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

Tonight, no photo.  I finished wiring the fenders and started on the Jackalopee.

As a note to everyone who may do this type of project themselves, the wiring of the factory tail lights on the truck does not follow the "truck norm".  The brake light and turn signals are combined instead of separated like the commercial trailer wiring.  I had wired the fender lights expecting the harness to have separate turn and brake light signals.  Oh, well.  I just cross connected the brake and turn for each side.  Now the two red lights on each fender show the same action.

To add some visuals to what Av8r3400 said. Your starting point should be the 5 pin flat plug that every Volvo has close to the rear brace containing the bobtail lights. When you cut the tie wraps you'll notice that it has good length to move it anywhere, it's resting on the frame.

MCgJnk0l.jpg

The five wires going to it are: Ground, Reverse, Running lights, Left and Stop, Right and Stop.

You can see new wires and plug going to it the start of the new harness. first going to the three center lights,

6WWe8nyl.jpg

and then to the mud flaps lights.

4OuxCRql.jpg

I have a kit of the parts that go with the Volvo plug, they are available from Waytek

Since today we had been getting rain in Biblical proportions, I tried putting the truck in my pole barn. As I was hoping, she fits nicely!  I'm really wishing I had a concrete floor, though...

I finished wiring the Jackalopee and trailer plug on the back.  Now all I have left is to install the Direclink brake control. 

image_2.jpeg

Henry, I took that plug and pulled it forward to the crossmember in front of the axle and put a junction box there for the fender lights and the rest.  I left the plug intact and took the mating plug off the original bobtail lights to power the junction box. 

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

19 hours ago, Imurphy907 said:

WOW that is short. Should be great wiggling in and out of parking lots. 

Actually, if you look at this video, at 6:20 or so, Gregg compares wheelbases of a 670, 780 and an unsingled 730.  You can see that the mid-singled 670 is about the same wheelbase as a short 730 would be. 

This is what inspired me to be able to go short with this truck. 

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

I've seen nylon carpet  removed during "updating" of S&B's etc used on sand/dirt floored machine sheds. Just don't sit and turn the steering tires forth and back showing off... it bunches it up a bit... 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

The innaugeral run with the HDT this weekend!

IMG_2542.jpg

It towed awesome. We are camping for the weekend at a KOA in Alma Center Wisconsin.  It was listed on the Resource Guide. 

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

On June 23, 2017 at 1:35 AM, phoenix2013 said:

That works too

Henry, what color wiring standard is the trailer side of the Jackalopee made to?  It is not the standard RV color code...

7-Way-RV-Style-Trailer-Plug-Wiring-Diagr

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

1 hour ago, Av8r3400 said:

The innaugeral run with the HDT this weekend!

IMG_2542.jpg

It towed awesome. We are camping for the weekend at a KOA in Alma Center Wisconsin.  It was listed on the Resource Guide. 

I looked it up, it's a long way from the Dells. Have fun!

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

8 minutes ago, Av8r3400 said:

Henry, what color wiring standard is the trailer side of the Jackalopee made to?  It is not the standard RV color code...

7-Way-RV-Style-Trailer-Plug-Wiring-Diagr

I haven't messed with trailer lights in many years, but I always thought the center post was the ground. Maybe that explains why drivers always give me hand signals?  ?

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Larry, if you look at the pin numbers on the Jackalopee board [ in parenthesis ] you'll see that it matches the pin numbers on the Bargman plug and the colors of the wires match RV standard Stan Wright posted above.

WEahaiJl.jpg

Note in Stan's post that there is also this "other standard" for utility and cargo trailers where they utilize the yellow wire for the left turn, somehow they migrated this from the DOT Truck standard where the left turn is indeed the yellow wire.

In RVs yellow goes to the center pin number 7 and connects to Reverse, There is no reverse in the truck DOT plug, so you have to "steal it" and bring into the Jackalopee from the rear bobtail panel and that flat plug I talked about few posts back.

My Keystone Carbon must be an odd ball.   It's set up as my diagram indicated (7-way Traditional on Stans diagram).   So was my old travel trailer and my oem dodge truck plug...

Once I figured out what went where on the output, the Jackalopee works awesome. 

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

My fifth was nowhere any kind of "standard". I found ground and then started putting +12VDC into the RV plug and going around and seeing what the hell lit up. Then ignored the color code and plugged it on the Jackalopee board matching functions not colors. Not an uncommon situation on fifths with those Amish electricians who still live by candle light.

Is the "ICC MARKERS OUT" pin the one to use if I want to be able to blink the trailer marker lights with the steering wheel button?

(Instead of the GRN[3] pin)

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

Speaking of wiring plugs, what is the brand and model of choice that is worth buying?  I got one at the local parts store just to get up and running and it's a real POS.  I already broke it. 

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

OK, this is probably a stupid question that probably has a simple answer elsewhere on the forum, but...

If the volvo has that nice 5 way flat plug with basically what you need to wire a trailer with combined brake/turn, why mess around with a jackalope?  why not just wire the trailer plug from there and add 12v hot and trailer brake wires?

30 minutes ago, Hot Rod said:

OK, this is probably a stupid question that probably has a simple answer elsewhere on the forum, but...

If the volvo has that nice 5 way flat plug with basically what you need to wire a trailer with combined brake/turn, why mess around with a jackalope?  why not just wire the trailer plug from there and add 12v hot and trailer brake wires?

Because it won't handle the load if you have incandescent bulbs? 

Just a guess.....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

45 minutes ago, Hot Rod said:

Commercial trucks don't have the 5 way flat.  They are wired for the commercial round pin plug

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

51 minutes ago, Hot Rod said:

It will most likely not supply enough current to run a trailer or it will  trigger an over current alarm in the trucks computer system. 

The 5-flat plug is for the bobtail tail light bar. 

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We had a good holiday weekend.  

Saturday we spent a couple of hours teaching the DW to run the truck bob tailed.  Probably put on 150 miles of mixed highway, rural road and some city driving.  After getting used to the way the truck moves around on the air ride, compared to a smaller vehicle, she did very well.  (My HDT also has air front suspension as previously discussed elsewhere)

Yesterday we hooked up the 5er and ran that around too.  Again she did very well with the rig and became comfortable quickly with the operation.  She told me it is much easier to drive than my LGT with the old TT-TH on the back.

A successful weekend.  She feels confident to drive the rig to Airventure, while I fly the plane.

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

Archived