Av8r3400's 730 Build

Av8r3400

I thought I'd start a thread on the build of my newly acquired Volvo VNL64T730 tractor.

I will add to the thread as I accomplish things on the truck that are notable to the forum.

Thanks.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5-09-2017

My first hurdle is of great importance.  The vehicle was titled today - AS A MOTORHOME!

Title.jpg.deb2cf4cd4c3aebe828c3aa313800f24.jpg

I went to the 2-day per week local little DMV office this morning at 7 am just as they opened for the day.  The clerk didn't even bat an eye. 

He said, "Okay we're registering a motor home today, great!" 
He later said the VIN came back as a semi tractor and I replied to him that "Yes it did start life as a semi tractor."
He replied, "Oh, it has a truck front end on it?"
I said, "Yes."  And left things at that.

10 minutes later I was out the door with plates and a new title in hand!

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

5-10-2017

Ordered wire and junction boxes in preparation for trailer and brake control wiring.

I took the truck over to the shop who is going to single and install the ET for me this afternoon.  The DW seemed very concerned about it when she picked me up.  "Are they going to leave it outside?  Is it locked?  Do they know what they are doing?"  (there are 6-8 trucks parked there right now getting major chassis modifications done)  I think she is worried about "her" truck.

I think it needs a name, better than "it".

We are now truckless again.

I miss it, too...

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

Locking Differential.

Thinking a little bit today in my truck-less condition, my new (to me) truck does not have a differential lock on either of the rears.  This is my only regret so far with this truck.  It was one of the few detracting points to her.

Has anyone ever seen or know anything about retrofitting a locking differential (Detroit Locker or other limited slip?) into one of these large, commercial Meritor differentials?  (The door tag calls it a 2.470MT40-14X*C)

Would the entire carrier need to be replaced with an air locking unit?  Can the air-locking mechanism be fitted into my current carrier?

What about the gear ratio (2.47) that I have.  Will that gearset fit onto a different, air-locking, differential carrier?  Or would I need to replace the gearset as well?

Scrap?  Little help?

However, These are pretty much academic questions at this point because the money tree will be just about empty after the Single-ing, ET hitch, Direct-Link and wiring are complete.  I'll run an open, one wheel wonder for now, but in the future I do want to add a traction aiding mechanism of some sort to the rear end.

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

Thank you for the quick reply.  Is what you describe even an economically viable option for the non-commercial user?  Sounds like it would be a monumentally expensive project.

I downloaded the Meritor service manual and they do reference a "no-spin" which appears to be a Detroit locker type device.  Have you ever seen one of these used?

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

We run off road hauling grain out of soft fields.  Rarely, is getting stuck an issue. None of our work trucks have any anti slip devices. That's one reason to leave our camper truck tandem.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Some where on this forum is a person that had his Volvo done for about $2500 plus programing in Sioux Falls,SD

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

We run off road hauling grain out of soft fields.  Rarely, is getting stuck an issue. None of our work trucks have any anti slip devices. That's one reason to leave our camper truck tandem.

What rick said ^

Local fella here in our rolly hill gravel road and mud&snow  country runs a late 90's KW T800 tandem tractor hauling oilfield fluids at 102,000lbs GCW with Reyco spring rear suspension, standard interaxle lock, 18spd, left leg clutch, rattlepillar, and... no diff locks! OMG! 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Yea our wheat trucks don't lock either.  But they aren't a big ol fat heavy sleeper Volvo with 2.64's either.  That's a tough first truck to learn on in the dirt!

I'm sure a guy can change out spider gears and get a fork, etc but I've never done it.  I'd bet the itty bitty pinion is going to need some 'while you're in there' work as well when you open it up too.  Then the whole reman decision comes back up again.  Leave it closed and procrastinate is my MO on it......

Vaander Hags in Sioux Falls sold me a freshly rebuilt air locker and installed it for $2,800 out the door (my axle housing did not require trimming).  This price included the longer splined right side axle.

2004 Volvo 630, Cummins ISX, Eaton 10 speed (air assist clutch), 3.71 3.07 rear locker, ET jr, 200" WB, GearMaster

2017 Forest River Sierra 372LOK

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

I think I will exercise Scrap's procrastinate option.  I will wait to see if it is really needed...

Next, I'm assembling the parts I need to do the wiring on my truck when it's done at the chassis shop.  I have boxes (like Allen0043 used), 4 conductor wire for the run Direct Link to Jackalopee and 7-conductor wire for the run Jackalopee to the hitch plug.

One of the things I need to get ordered is the Direct Link brake control.  The question I want to pose to the HDT experts here is:

For my 2012 Volvo VNL, do I need to get the 6-pin or 9-pin converter for the interface to the truck?

Since my truck is over an hour away at the chassis shop I can't look directly at it...

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

Thank you MrSeas.  I just sent them an email to confirm compatibility.

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

It should work with a 2012. But asking them is never a bad thing.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Are you singling by choice, or a requirement of insurance?

If you are going off road much, there is a definite advantage to keeping the truck tandem.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

I chose to single for several reasons.

1. Shorter wheelbase for better maneuverability
  2. Overall shorter footprint of the vehicle
  3. Fewer tires, brakes and all of the other systems of the power divider axle to maintain
  4. Better fuel economy
  5. Better ride quality
  6. A look that is less "Commercial".

In my state (Wisconsin) the registration of a motorhome has no limit on the number of axles.  This is also the same with my insurance carrier (Auto Owners).

I do not have plans for any "Off Roading" with the truck and trailer.  At least no further off road than my 1/2 mile gravel driveway or at worst an unpaved campground at Airventure (Oshkosh) every year.  This camp ground is a farm hay field.  It is smooth and well maintained.  It is navigated by many large class A and "super" class C motorhomes during the air show.

My spot (with my EAA Chapter) is not far off the beaten path.  We usually get there Friday before the show and don't leave until Sunday at the end of the show.  It was very entertaining (and educational) a couple of years ago watching million dollar rigs get stuck and be drug around by a tractor...

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

I got an update on the single-ing process today...

Single%201.jpg

Single%202.jpg

She's all striped down, I guess that's the easy part.

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

Archived