Are Campsites Really Getting Harder To Get?

3 hours ago, SWharton said:

Sometimes it takes a bit of work to find an RV park. .............. I must have looked at 15 different sites before I found the park. Perseverance pays off.

Exactly. One reference site doesn't list all.  You have to explore many sites.  We traveled almost solely using only public parks and boondocking on public lands.  Forest service campgrounds and boondocking spots required much time delving into references.  I chose to think of it as a hobby and a challenge to find the right spot.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Exactly. One reference site doesn't list all.  You have to explore many sites.  We traveled almost solely using only public parks and boondocking on public lands.  Forest service campgrounds and boondocking spots required much time delving into references.  I chose to think of it as a hobby and a challenge to find the right spot.

Yup, I made a hobby our of doing the research. I went so far as to make spread sheet for each state so I could enter data as I found it then look at all of it at once. And I categorized the data as to public or private campgrounds, shopping, and sights to see along the way. That way each day we could make a plan for the next day without having to do the research all over again. Although I never stopped adding data until we finally left the road as I would stumble across something new all the time. No, don't ask for my data; it is now several years out of date so I trashed it.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

39 minutes ago, sandsys said:

No, don't ask for my data; it is now several years out of date so I trashed it.

LOL!  I have over 300 pages in my computer file of campgrounds, boondocking spots, restaurants, siteseeing and I'm not trashing it!! 

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

10 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:25 PM, trailertraveler said:

Whether the number of RVers and competition for campsites has reached a point where there are not enough sites to meet demand seems to depend on location and in some areas time of year. 

Absolutely true, but it has always been that way and I suspect it will always be that way.

Relevant to the OP's question is whether the number or size of these locations where demand exceeds supply and the times of year when this occurs has increased? In my experience both have occurred.

5 hours ago, 2gypsies said:
One reference site doesn't list all.  You have to explore many sites.

Like others I use a number of resources to find campgrounds. Here are links to some websites:

RV Park Reviews

Passport America

Allstays

RV Parky

Woodalls

Free Campgrounds

Free Campsites

U.S. Campgrounds

National Forest Campground Guide

Ultimate Public Campground Project

Corps of Engineers Campgrounds

Bob’s Cheap or Free Campgrounds

Dean’s List

Boondockers Welcome

Harvest Host

Days End Directory

19 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

LOL!  I have over 300 pages in my computer file of campgrounds, boondocking spots, restaurants, siteseeing and I'm not trashing it!! 

If we were still traveling I would not have trashed mine, either. But, I am a minimalist so things not contributing to our current lifestyle go away. It sure was fun while it lasted, though.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I have not traveled as long as some, but I have found in the midwest it is much more difficult to find a "Summer" spot than I expected. I usually want to stay put for the entire summer and finding a long term spot last year was quite difficult in Iowa. Almost impossible in Kansas City this summer, until a friend of a friend saved me. I thought it was tough in South Florida for the winter spot, but summer in the midwest is harder.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Parks  in areas with significant winter have to make all of their money during the summer.  Long term rates are significantly less than daily.  Most parks around Seattle no longer off monthly rates, either daily (or maybe weekly) or annual in the summer.  After Labor Day monthly rates return with the rain

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

12 hours ago, lappir said:

I have not traveled as long as some, but I have found in the midwest it is much more difficult to find a "Summer" spot than I expected.

There has to be a large enough customer base to make any park profitable for them to remain or be constructed in any area. If the owner can't make a reasonable return on his investment, he isn't going to build a new park or upgrade an existing one. When we started to RV we bought a new RV for about $2800 and the tow vehicle new was $3600. At that time most RV parks would cost us around $15 per night. Today we find that most RV parks in the midwest are costing about $30/night and compare that to the typical cost of the RVs which people use. I'm sure that the cost to create a new RV park has risen at least as much as the cost of RVs but only in the tourist and snowbird areas have prices for campgrounds risen at similar rates. 

In addition to that, the amenities that the typical RV owner is demanding in an RV park have also been increasing. Back when we first traveled with an RV, most parks had only a few "full hookup" campsites with many tent sites and significant numbers of sites with electric and water only. It costs far less to build restroom/shower building than it does to put in sewer to all of the sites and the same is true of maintenance costs. The result is that it takes a far bigger customer base today to support a successful RV park than it did back 30 or more years ago, or even 10 years ago. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

There has to be a large enough customer base to make any park profitable for them to remain or be constructed in any area. If the owner can't make a reasonable return on his investment, he isn't going to build a new park or upgrade an existing one. When we started to RV we bought a new RV for about $2800 and the tow vehicle new was $3600. At that time most RV parks would cost us around $15 per night. Today we find that most RV parks in the midwest are costing about $30/night and compare that to the typical cost of the RVs which people use. I'm sure that the cost to create a new RV park has risen at least as much as the cost of RVs but only in the tourist and snowbird areas have prices for campgrounds risen at similar rates. 

In addition to that, the amenities that the typical RV owner is demanding in an RV park have also been increasing. Back when we first traveled with an RV, most parks had only a few "full hookup" campsites with many tent sites and significant numbers of sites with electric and water only. It costs far less to build restroom/shower building than it does to put in sewer to all of the sites and the same is true of maintenance costs. The result is that it takes a far bigger customer base today to support a successful RV park than it did back 30 or more years ago, or even 10 years ago. 

And keeping them full all the time ensures a good return on the investment. Having open spots is not cost effective. I reserve my spot for the winter before I leave. In the summer, I'm not sure where I will go so it makes it much more difficult. (at least for me). I'm hoping to become more self contained and not need to plug in every day sometime soon. Not sure if that will make it easier or not.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

As we came north from Central Texas to NW Washington we were (unpleasantly) surprised by the shortage of RV sites near major cities along the west coast. And we were traveling in February which isn't exactly peak season. In many areas it was clear that most sites were occupied by long-term residents, and  at the park that we stayed at near Portland, OR we were lucky to get three consecutive nights. While in the office we heard them turn away several folks who were asking for monthly sites.

It reminds me of the situation in West Texas during the last oil boom. Parks that we'd stopped at for years were suddenly filled to capacity and unavailable. That situation has returned to "normal" but we know that it will change back quickly if the oil fields rebound. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Lots of great replies in this thread. The one thing I do know is those who continue to just drive up and expect to have a place to stay will continue to have problems. Those who plan and use the tools available will have a much easier time finding places to stay.

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

Last summer we were having difficulty finding a place in Illinois. Every place we called was full. Finally someone mentioned that a pipeline was going through the area and everything along the route was taken. They suggested we go 50 miles either side of the line. We did and found a site on the first call. Now, if we get told everything is full on three calls we ask what's going on.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

36 minutes ago, kb0zke said:

...Last summer we were having difficulty finding a place in Illinois. Every place we called was full. Finally someone mentioned that a pipeline was going through the area and everything along the route was taken...

We encountered a similar situation in Kansas a couple of years ago when travelling US-54 in late October. All the private parks for many miles were booked with pipeline workers. We stopped at a State Park that had a 14 day limit (no exceptions). We were the only ones there other than the hosts.

11 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

The one thing I do know is those who continue to just drive up and expect to have a place to stay will continue to have problems. Those who plan and use the tools available will have a much easier time finding places to stay.

A very good answer. We have traveled Through most of the problem areas addressed in this thread over the past few years and have only rarely had serious problems finding a place to stop for the night. It did happen one time about 3 years ago when a weather delay caused us to be late into our expected stop for the night and as a result, we had to travel an extra 100 miles or so. One thing that can help to mitigate problems in such areas is to always stop early, which fits our preferred travel pattern well. Our problem evening was also one which we had traveled much later in the day than planned. Another possible answer is to do the parking lot scene when in a bind. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

As stated before, it depends greatly on location and season. But why not use any tools available to make it easier? As the Boy Scouts always say "be prepared" explore sites and the idea of your own personal database is spot on. 

• 2 weeks later...

Several of our regular customers who have been patronizing our campground for years have begun to complain that because of the increase in business since we took charge just over a year ago. Some have even said that it used to be the best kept secret in our network of state parks until I came along and let the cat out of the bag. In reality, I simply brought my business experience and love of the RV lifestyle into the mix and am doing what I was hired to do. Rent real estate, which just happens to be a campsite for our guest.  As a result we've had probably the best season in the campground's fourteen year history, and we aren't seeing any real easing up in pre-booked reservations or "walk-in" check ins yet even though many of our annual snowbirds have begun to head north for the spring and summer months. Other regular guest of ours have stated that they feel that they are slowly being pushed out due to the new clientele coming in and renting the few spaces (14) we have available at our campground. Then once our campground was full for the winter season, I (we) were turning an average of 10-12 hopeful RVers /day away due to no spaces being available when they wished to arrive. Many said that was the same response they were receiving when contacting the privately (and commercially) owned RV parks and resorts located within in our immediate area. What ever the reason(s) for this increasing influx of RVers coming to our area and into our campground is, its great for us, and harder for the campers when they find that we are already full for the next several days or weeks. With that said and based upon what our friends who fulltime RV, along with traveling seasonally between the north and south, my recommendation to those who call our campground office is to book their sites early to avoid any last minute surprises at the end our your traveling day!

Now if I can just get some more campsites built in our campground, I'm sure they too would fill up quickly. Oh, and did I mention that our sites (most) are HDT friendly?

Lead Campground Host at Ross Prairie Trailhead and Campground on the Cross Florida Greenway

Retired business owner

Author

2013 Redwood 36FB Fiver

2001 Volvo Vnl 420 HDT Toter

!958 Harley Davidson Sportster XLH [survivor bike]

Proud dad of Abby the Boston Terrier

100_3094_zpsxdkzvegd.jpg

We are on the road full time and rarely make reservations more then a day in advance. We tow with a HDT and are 67' long overall and have never had an issue finding a RV site. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

17 hours ago, Heavymetal said:

We are on the road full time and rarely make reservations more then a day in advance. We tow with a HDT and are 67' long overall and have never had an issue finding a RV site. 

I would be interested in knowing what part(s) of the country you have visited in the past 12-18 months? We have had more problems finding sites in Florida this winter and New Mexico the past two falls than in any of the prior 9 or so years. Some areas like Florida and New Mexico seem to be getting more popular with travelling RVers, the oil field areas boom and bust, and locations where there are large projects result in relatively short term shortages. Knowing the areas where others have or have not had difficulty finding accommodations is very helpful. 

23 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

I would be interested in knowing what part(s) of the country you have visited in the past 12-18 months? We have had more problems finding sites in Florida this winter and New Mexico the past two falls than in any of the prior 9 or so years. Some areas like Florida and New Mexico seem to be getting more popular with travelling RVers, the oil field areas boom and bust, and locations where there are large projects result in relatively short term shortages. Knowing the areas where others have or have not had difficulty finding accommodations is very helpful. 

We have traveled the following in the last 9 months. FL, TX, NC, SC, VA, KY, AL, MS, GA, and Arkansas and have only had 1 time and that was due to power not size. I have had to unhook a few times but when I am staying longer then a night I don't mind unhooking. The tightest solace we have been in was Billy Draher S.P. In SC, we had pine trees so close to the RV the awning would not open and the rear was hanging over the lake. I will say it was the best spot we have ever been in from a view stand point. I can't say that we have looked for long term sites in all those states but in areas that people winter in we stay in out of the way parks which snow birds don't care for since they are further from the goings on.

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

20 minutes ago, Heavymetal said:

...We have traveled the following in the last 9 months. FL, TX, NC, SC, VA, KY, AL, MS, GA, and Arkansas...in areas that people winter in we stay in out of the way parks which snow birds don't care for since they are further from the goings on...

Thanks for the response. I guess we will need to adjust our travels a little as the areas that we have been frequenting seem to be getting very popular. 

Archived