resource for truck based motorhomes

CMC5

This place is awesome for HDT info, and I'm enjoying reading...but at this point I think my preference is towards a full size motorhome built on an over the road truck as opposed to an HDT and a travel trailer. I've found truckconversion.net, which has nowhere near the volume of posts. Any other good resources you can recommend?

At last year's National HDT Rally in Hutchinson, KS, there were several Super-C Class, HDT based motorhomes. At the ECR, there should be at least two (my Class 7 Dynamax/Freightliner and David Dixon's Class 8 Volvo). Ther may be others. My rig can tow a true 20,000 pounds. I expect David's can tow even more (if you have an interest/need to actually tow anything).

I just passed by the Renegade shop in Elkhart IN today. Swing by there and get a total fill of all the Class 8 based motor homes you can stand. And whip out your checkbook. 

I agree. A class 8 chassis is far more suited to this application than the typical motor home chassis with a rear mounted engine. Even a full blown motor coach can't do what a class 8 motor home chassis can do. And the mechanics of the world will thank you every day for not having to go into your bedroom to fix the motor.  

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Back in the '90's there was a shop in Abbotsford, BC building class 8 truck "super C" conversions under the name "Class, eh?" - a play on a certain speech habit some Canadians have...

anyhoo they did an outlaw promo video with a KW W900 super C towing 2 Class A 40ft coaches on tow ropes at a good clip up the Coquihalla Pass eastbound....

The internet safety police are still looking for them I understand... 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I have a Haulmark truck conversion and love it (for the most part) and have been searching the internet for about 7 or 8 years now for a really good forum on the subject and have found that Truck Conversion is about the best you can get. 

Lots of knowledgeable, friendly people there (just like here) that are more than willing to share their thoughts/experiences/opinions without a lot of BS.

http://www.irv2.com has a Truck Conversion forum but it has very sporadic activity.

If anyone else knows of some more forums I too would be interested.

I have found that between this forum, Truckconversion.net and many other general motorhome (for coach related issues) and trucking forums (for chassis issues) you can usually find out what you need to know.

CMC5,

First i would say - I agree with everything said above based on my experiences.  I don't often post on this forum but I always monitor the activity - there are lots of smart - experienced folks here to say the least.

We have a KW T2000 based hauler that we use to as Race Central or as we like to call it - the Mobile Moto Command Center.  I built it in 2007 with a fellow off road racer (Jason Hawk) whom has made a business out of building a few very special rigs each year for the last 12 years.  The company is Hawk Engineering in Jacksonville MO.  They are located about an hour south of St. Louis on I-55.  I can send you plans and pics and share all types of information and lessons learned if you want to learn more about our experiences over the last 10 years of living/racing with the Rig vs many friends with RVs.

Feel free to PM or ask out right.  I'm happy to share ideas and learn more too as I prepare to build a second coach in near future.

I think your on the right track...

Rad

T2000 HDT Conversion

with Moto Garage

Archived