Jump to content

My Solar Installs - Now with Solar Output Data


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

I'll keep that in mind.  I am currently leaning toward Relion 300 amp hour batteries, but that could change in the next year or so.

I looked at the Relion you mentioned, but I'm puzzled..I understand a 100 AH lithium battery having a 100 amp continuous limitation rating, but why wouldn't a battery three times that size have at least a 300 amp continuous rating? 100 amps isn't enough to run the most basic appliances, much less several at the same time. That would be a deal breaker for me, personally. Jay

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

I looked at the Relion you mentioned, but I'm puzzled..I understand a 100 AH lithium battery having a 100 amp continuous limitation rating, but why wouldn't a battery three times that size have at least a 300 amp continuous rating? 100 amps isn't enough to run the most basic appliances, much less several at the same time. That would be a deal breaker for me, personally. Jay

That is if you only have one battery.  As you add additional batteries, you get an additional 100 amp hour draw per battery.  I am looking at potentially 4 of those batteries, allowing up to 400 amp draws from the 1200 amp bank.  That 400 amp potential draw should allow for running pretty much anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

That is if you only have one battery.  As you add additional batteries, you get an additional 100 amp hour draw per battery.  I am looking at potentially 4 of those batteries, allowing up to 400 amp draws from the 1200 amp bank.  That 400 amp potential draw should allow for running pretty much anything.

I agree with everything you're saying - except the 4 (!!!!) batteries! One or two would be plenty for us. We don't boondock much, or plan to run heavy loads. 100-200 amps continuous rating for one or two batteries makes it a non-starter for us - and I suspect we're not the only ones. Jay

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as an aside, the reasons I am currently leaning toward ReLion batteries are:

1.  The company is a well established player in the battery world and has been around for a "long" (in the Lithium world) time.

2.  They construct their batteries out of multiple individual small cylindrical cells rather than larger prismatic cells.  Basically, with many small cylindrical cells, a few cells in an individual battery can go bad and still allow the battery to function.  With a battery constructed from larger prismatic cells, if one cell goes bad the battery is no longer viable.

3.  ReLion owns the factory in China where their cells are produced.  This gives them control over the construction and quality of those cells.  This is a big deal in my opinion and they are the only OEM replacement lithium manufacturer I am aware of that can say this.

4.  They offer the most form factors and amp hour ratings for OEM drop in replacement lithium batteries.

5.  They offer a seven year warranty.  Not the best in the industry, but still very good.

6.  They have very good customer service.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chad Heiser said:

Just as an aside, the reasons I am currently leaning toward ReLion batteries are:

1.  The company is a well established player in the battery world and has been around for a "long" (in the Lithium world) time.

2.  They construct their batteries out of multiple individual small cylindrical cells rather than larger prismatic cells.  Basically, with many small cylindrical cells, a few cells in an individual battery can go bad and still allow the battery to function.  With a battery constructed from larger prismatic cells, if one cell goes bad the battery is no longer viable.

3.  ReLion owns the factory in China where their cells are produced.  This gives them control over the construction and quality of those cells.  This is a big deal in my opinion and they are the only OEM replacement lithium manufacturer I am aware of that can say this.

4.  They offer the most form factors and amp hour ratings for OEM drop in replacement lithium batteries.

5.  They offer a seven year warranty.  Not the best in the industry, but still very good.

6.  They have very good customer service.

Thank you for all that clarification. It really helps sort out the current crazy state of lithium. There's an insane amount of so called lithium products available from all over, with no idea what the source is, or what the actual quality is. Makes a lot of sense to go with a vertically integrated company of highly documented quality. I would love to do just that, if my needs and wallet were to align with the stars. Not having either, I'll be gambling on inexpensive cells along with a decent BMS for my needs. Plus, age has to be a factor - of the buyer, not the batteries.. I likely don't have that many more years I'll be using them. Jay

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

Thank you for all that clarification. It really helps sort out the current crazy state of lithium. There's an insane amount of so called lithium products available from all over, with no idea what the source is, or what the actual quality is. Makes a lot of sense to go with a vertically integrated company of highly documented quality. I would love to do just that, if my needs and wallet were to align with the stars. Not having either, I'll be gambling on inexpensive cells along with a decent BMS for my needs. Plus, age has to be a factor - of the buyer, not the batteries.. I likely don't have that many more years I'll be using them. Jay

I know what you mean.  I am still young (relatively) and hope to have  many more years of use out of my rig(s).  I'm still under 50 (for a few more months) and my goal is to spend at least as long in retirement travel as I spent working 😉.  Usage also make s a big difference.  Once I retire and can get out of vacation mode travel, my battery usage will change considerable.  We will transition to longer trips and more boondocking in retirement.  Lithium definitely benefits that type of travel, not to mention the weight savings so I can carry other stuff.  It will be nice to reduce the weight of my current bank (700+ lbs) and get more available energy capacity at the same time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RickS said:

I have been doing a little research on what we will be doing in our new RV and probably 2 x 600ah 8D Lithium batteries seems reasonable with a complete victron system and 2K solar setup.

9 hours ago, RickS said:

 

Rick care to share what the new RV is going to be?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tahoe Shark said:

Awesome, good for you. Just talked to Chad and looks like maybe a Razor upgrade👍. I hope things work out and we can see you guys again soon.

Hi Tim,
I can't wait to visit my all American friends again. Yeah, talked to my Polaris dealer yesterday and will be a bit before I can get a RZR Pro Ultimate but he will get me one.

10 hours ago, Danandfreda said:

Have you started the build yet?

Just started the planning stage and got a bunch of paper work from Cole to go over. Hoping to time it right so we can get it in the fall and head south for the winter. Need to be allowed across the border to get the rig. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...