Page Change??

oletimer

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree, not much improvement that I can see.

And now I have 106 posts to my credit....lol

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

36 minutes ago, Mntom said:

My browser (Firefox) is set to not show pop-ups too. It's frustrating to say the least.......

I'm running Chrome with no pop-ups and don't have any issue.  I am on Win 10 though.  Don't know if it makes any difference.

Also, if you click unread content, it will show you all you haven't seen from all the posts.  Click for more at the bottom.  

If you want to go to the latest post, click on the "time" that is shown on the left side of the last unread post in the unread content.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

11 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

I would suggest, as an Escapees member, that someone start looking for a new hosting site. To say that this change sucks is an understatement and it makes it even worse that you lost key functionality. There are quite a few forum hosting programs on the net. Find one with similar features to what you had and port over to it and dump this software.

I still find it hard to believe that you had this happen without any advanced notice from the vendor such as a beta period to be able to research the changes and tweak the software to fit as closely as possible to the prior release.

I for many hate this update.

And thanks for the heads up on the update.

Welcome to Buckee's where everything is not what it seams.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

12 hours ago, James Hendrix said:

The changes resulted from what would have normally been a routine update.  However, the host (IPS) has included major changes in the layout for the new version.  I've checked into it and the older version is going out of support shortly.  Therefore, switching to the prior format won't be an option.  On the upside, the newest version does contain all the latest required security updates.  We will be making some minor changes on the site.  However, the core functionality will, out of necessity, remain the same.  The host is also the company that produces the software used on this board.  The advantage being that the board stays up to date on all updates.  The disadvantage is also that it stays up to date on all updates.

I'm researching a few of the issues.  The reason that your name may have changed is the result of the fact that the board now displays your username for your name.  The old version supported something called "display name" which it would substitute for your username if you had display name set.  IPS has chosen to eliminate that particular feature.

We will make changes in areas that we have the option to do so.  However, in the world of computers, things are always in flux.

Hosting a forum like this is a thankless job, to be sure.  I frequent several of them and enjoy the content presented, this forum included.  Thank you to the Admins and Owners.

Unfortunately I have learned that IPS (this forum's software) is without a doubt the worst on the market, due to their poor interface, which gets worse with every "update" and horrible customer support.  VBulletin (another major forum software) is far superior in all aspects, but is not (at my last checking) compatible with importing the archive postings.  Meaning updating to a reasonable software means the loss of all archived postings and records.  (This is by design to lock hosts into staying with IPS!)

Therefore we will be stuck with this horrible format until the software is updated again, hopefully for the better (don't hold your breath).  We can only hope that all of the negative comments are forwarded on to IPS and they actually do something useful for a change.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Things seem to be improving though I am still wondering how to do things. Stickys are gone thank goodness.

If I check compressed I  like the formating better.

Not sure how to get new content only. Seems to work with "unread content", just not 100% sure.

Seems to be a conflict in "notifications". If I check "following" on a thread one set of options appears, if I go to some other notification option(I can't find it now) it has the right option I want different than the tread options. Have no idea which one takes precedence but am more confused why a different set of options.

Not happy with this but I will tough it out since I the people on this forum are the best around for information. A headsup would have been appropriate.

Everyone should settle down and give it a couple weeks to be  tweaked.

Still hoping for a Forum 101 thread.

So they did make it a little easier.

The first image I inserted the way I always do using the [IMG ]  tags. This is confusing to some people if you don't know how that works. However, the 2nd picture I used a built in feature that is right in the forum. If you look down in the lower right of you post you are working on, there is drop down box that says "Insert other media", and you can choose "insert from URL". This is basically the same URL I used in my first example, but it automatically inserts the picture and shows you the picture in your preview post. So that should be easier for people. The only thing you need is a URL address where the picture is stored. In the end, both pictures appear the exact same way. 

It looks like attachments are limited to .1mb which is very small so that's useless right now. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

7 hours ago, SWharton said:

Still hoping for a Forum 101 thread.

Not exactly Forum 101, but lots of detail in About the Discussion Forums.  

Line 1 - ends with just the return (enter) key.

Line 2 - ends with shift-return (shift-enter) key combination.
Line 3

The only thing I don't like so far (other than the jarring surprise and no warning) is the most recent post in a thread appearing under the thread title. When I'm scanning posts I might want to read it just feels like unnecessary clutter and distracting. I want to scan thread titles only.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

36 minutes ago, DuneElliot said:

The only thing I don't like so far (other than the jarring surprise and no warning) is the most recent post in a thread appearing under the thread title. When I'm scanning posts I might want to read it just feels like unnecessary clutter and distracting. I want to scan thread titles only.

If I understand your question, you can easily change that. When you are looking at the list of content, look in the upper right corner and you'll see "Results As" and an option for 'Expanded' or 'Condensed'. Condensed only shows the thread titles and not the content of the post. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

35 minutes ago, DuneElliot said:

Toward the top : see 'Results As' . Click 'Condensed' .

That will get you what you want .  

Goes around , comes around .

This is rediculous! :lol: Now the "new content" button is showing every freaking post and "event"?? 7 lines viewing which forums Barb is now following, so and so just joined, so and so is now following so and so... 

I guess my contention is that it seems that unless you are willing to spend a day "hit and missing" with your active stream settings then it is fairly disfunctional. It took quite a while today just trying to find this particular thread again. I guess I should have paid more attention yesterday to realize it was in the HDT forum. ;)

Zulu mentioned in another thread... or... maybe it was this one since I couldn't tell "where" it was posted.. just the post itself... that many system maintainers ignore user comments for the first while after a major transition. Allowing them to gradually adjust.

I don't know if that's true, but I sure hope it isn't. I'm fairly computer savy, but this particular forum is the only one I participate in. Mainly because of the ease of use, the wealth of actual working knowledge, the club affiliation and the truly unique internet community culture of mutual respect.

It may be the wrong way of thinking.. but I pay my club dues. Other than just supporting SKP's in principal and their many legal efforts and advocation for the RV'r lifestyle.. this is the only club resource that I've ever taken advantage of. I feel club members opinions "should" have some sway when it comes to club resources. ~ Off my soap box.

My biggest worry is how many will fall off during this transition. I know there are many "core" members that already actively participate in other forums. The quality of the follow-up for a persons issue/question is surely likely to suffer. How many will actually join to refill the ranks. Let's face it... if you aren't a registered member already... setting up "active streams" isn't even an option. To the casual visitor and potentional new member all they will see is the disfunctional mess at the "store front".

Of course.. as a registered member.. I still don't really consider setting up an active stream as an option for me since any forum, topic or person I set up to "follow" is going to blow up my email account with no option to shut off email notifications. (For those on satellite internet every MB counts) I guess there is always the option to set up a dummy email account to capture all that, but since only one email account is allowed that means I would miss out on the email notifications I DO want to receive.

I know there are difficulties in porting databases to different platforms and "rolling back" isn't an option. Given those limited options.. if there was a decision to "archive" this platform (available to search and link to content but no active posts allowed) and start fresh with a different platform.. it would have my vote. Sometimes you need to cut your losses. I'm afraid that loosing a large portion of our current core knowledge base is going to kill this forum.

Just noticing myself the past few days... I've tried to follow-up on specific onging threads I had been participating in, but I've really had no interest in clicking on much of anything else. I'm not adverse to change and new features, but not at the expense of core functionality.

That's my rant and I'm sticking to it. :lol::lol:

35 minutes ago, Yarome said:

Of course.. as a registered member.. I still don't really consider setting up an active stream as an option for me since any forum, topic or person I set up to "follow" is going to blow up my email account with no option to shut off email notifications. (For those on satellite internet every MB counts) I guess there is always the option to set up a dummy email account to capture all that, but since only one email account is allowed that means I would miss out on the email notifications I DO want to receive.

If I understand you correctly, when you decide to follow you can specify Do not send me any notifications.

Line 1 - ends with just the return (enter) key.

Line 2 - ends with shift-return (shift-enter) key combination.
Line 3

1 hour ago, Dave Sand said:

If I understand you correctly, when you decide to follow you can specify Do not send me any notifications.

Does that superceed the global email notification setting? The option to send is selected by default with the "off" option not enabled.

Nevermind. ;)  I guess I'll just take the approach as some others... come back in a month or two and see if it still make sense to participate here. I'm just not into spending hours trying to follow multiple threads (when I can find them) to research every setting.. or just trial and error a setting at a time... to make it functional for me. If it's not intuitive (logged in or not) and requires custom settings just to be functional... it's probably never going to be a good fit, anymore.

I'm relatively new to this forum but the change seemed to be drastic and not for the better. I also enjoyed the signatures and usually found them to be informative so I'm not to sure why you would do away with them, doesn't make much sense. Hopefully there will be some tweaks along the way and this is just a learning curve 

2019 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA (Moving in 4/29)
2020 Volvo 860 (Hopefully on the Production Line)
2016 Smart Prime Coupe “Phase One”

Archived