Insurance Update for All Those Still Looking

SuiteSuccess

I just bound my policy with National General through Miller Insurance Agency (503) 636-6347. I am moving from Blue Sky due to the underwriting difficulties they are experiencing. My new policy has the same coverages and actually a better personal effects coverage and is $15 less than my Blue Sky policy. I specifically asked about coverage for tandem trucks since that issue was brought up here and my agent with Miller said it is usually not an issue. They did require pictures of my rig. Just wanted to get the info out there for those still searching for coverage. BTW I spoke with State Farm, Progressive, Farm and City, Allstate and this was the best (and cheapest) coverage for me in TN.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I just bound my policy with National General through Miller Insurance Agency (503) 636-6347. I am moving from Blue Sky due to the underwriting difficulties they are experiencing. My new policy has the same coverages and actually a better personal effects coverage and is $15 less than my Blue Sky policy. I specifically asked about coverage for tandem trucks since that issue was brought up here and my agent with Miller said it is usually not an issue. They did require pictures of my rig. Just wanted to get the info out there for those still searching for coverage. BTW I spoke with State Farm, Progressive, Farm and City, Allstate and this was the best (and cheapest) coverage for me in TN.

Mine is currently with Farm Bureau in TN, but I am not fulltime yet. They will only insure as add on to home or rental policy.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Mine is currently with Farm Bureau in TN, but I am not fulltime yet. They will only insure as add on to home or rental policy.

They actually asked if I was full time so I assume they cover it. Since we have no plans to be, I didn't explore any further.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

According to the agent at Miller all the insurance companies have raised rates this year. And from our limited sampling that seems to be true. OUr policy(s) on the truck/trailer went up over $1K, combined. So we are looking at Miller to see if they can improve things. Searching elsewhere we have found that the rates have all increased over a year ago. Now if only Geico would insure the HDT we would be pretty well off.....they clearly have the best trailer rates. At least for us.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

In Florida, try Gilbert RV Insurance, Inc.

I called Gilbert yesterday and was able to get insurance, if I were going to pull a fifth wheel camper. I was told the cost would be about $1300 a year, not bad. But since I want to pull a real semi trailer, a trailer converted to living quarter with garage, They won't write me a policy. Search over, guess I'll keep the F-550 and search for a light duty car hauler with living quarter.

I'd like to thank all who tried to help in my search!

I called Gilbert yesterday and was able to get insurance, if I were going to pull a fifth wheel camper. I was told the cost would be about $1300 a year, not bad. But since I want to pull a real semi trailer, a trailer converted to living quarter with garage, They won't write me a policy. Search over, guess I'll keep the F-550 and search for a light duty car hauler with living quarter.

I'd like to thank all who tried to help in my search!

Would you not be titling the semi trailer as an RV?

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Hi Carl,

Thank you for posting. What class did the insurance company put your truck into ? Motorhome ?, Toter ?, Truck ?, etc.

Thank you again for posting info,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

For those of you buying insurance, if your agent says anything is covered (like bobtail), get it in writing like an email. Also check your policy to see if there is an exclusion for not being used "as an RV" like driving to Homer's local to home. If you do, buy fuel or something while out, THAT IS related to use as an RV.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Al,

I am registered as a Motorhome. I see nothing on my papers from Miller that refers to "Class". It does say "usage" and that heading lists "pleasure/commute". I am by no means shilling for Miller but when I talked to them several times on the phone they knew exactly what my truck was and what its use was. The agent told me their agency had been dealing with our kind for many years. Again I searched numerous places for coverage so I have no loyalty to one agency or brand of insurance. I'm out to get the best coverage for the least I can pay. If one companies premium was higher and the coverage was better, I would go with it.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

According to the agent at Miller all the insurance companies have raised rates this year. And from our limited sampling that seems to be true. OUr policy(s) on the truck/trailer went up over $1K, combined. So we are looking at Miller to see if they can improve things. Searching elsewhere we have found that the rates have all increased over a year ago. Now if only Geico would insure the HDT we would be pretty well off.....they clearly have the best trailer rates. At least for us.

As a underwriter once told me......"the only thing constant in the insurance racket is.....Change".

I posted the "thoughts" below in a thread on underwriting.......

I have to wonder at what point will coverage improve and premiums become cheaper ? ?

From the Underwriting thread:

Lately insurance seems to be burning a hole in the old radar screen so.......

In the stone age I would sometimes stumble into a less than stellar aircraft project and often these turkeys were nearly impossible to obtain insurance and some were way too grim to even approach a insurer so we self insured.

In the process of dealing with grim projects I came to deal with a fair amount of insurers and a couple of underwriters so recently I made a casual look-see what some of my old geezer--insurance-geeks might find out about the near past and current HDT RV underwriting issues that seem to exist now.

OK like all good "Fake News" I got to do the disclaimer here........

First underwriters come in all flavors and all sizes and shapes and they tend to play their cards close to their chest so obviously as well as connected as I am I have not hacked any of the servers in their basement (or Hillerizzz) so.........what info I have been given is mostly from the RISK and Demographics side of the spreadsheet that underwriters use in their tool box. Underwriting is a diverse world and as such some smaller markets tend to be "active" and subject to sudden changes as the underwriters review the underlying risks & returns. Perhaps the best analogy to normal folks is that if you have a portfolio of investments sometimes you sell a few of the under performers just to invest in better investments and this is often the case in the small underwriter markets so a underwriter might leave the HDT RV market just to "enter-into-another-small-market" it just might be a underwriter seeking a better market.

Other more obvious reason underwriters may leave the HDT RV market might involve:

1) Changes in demographics of clients

2) Cost increases of claims

3) Size of policy base

4) High profile events

5) State regulations

6) Federal regulations

7) Other

So far what I have gathered is that trends have started to indicate that demographics for the HDT RV market has seen a considerable increase of younger folks buying HDT's and they tend to also buy large trailers as well.

Recent claim trends tend to point to increases in costs as the total rig length and the younger operators converge in the market.

Several thoughts concerning demographics seem to be summed up in that the younger operators may have better reaction times, vision and stamina but often are prone to attempting risk activities that the older operators tend to avoid so it appears that the lower risk trends favor the more mature operators.

Longer length rigs often tax the skills of seasoned operators and often exceed the skill levels of the less experienced operators.

Over the legal RV length limit can be a factor in defending a client in a legal action and may increase the legal defense claim costs.

Perhaps the largest trend that is difficult to control is the high cost of repair of many of the larger trailers that HDT's tend to tow. Many of the larger RV trailer builders ceased to exist in the downturn and therefor factory supports and parts often do not exist so insurers are saddled with outsourcing repairs to shops that rightly must charge a lot for hand repairs to items that would be much cheaper to replace if the parts were available. Often insures will need to total a trailer these days that would have been repaired just a few years ago.

Experience and operator training is a factor being considered in the trends of the HDT RV market. Unfortunately huge piles of data is compiled on class 8 trucks and so the risks of operations are well understood in the commercial markets however the NEAR total lack training in the RV markets can be unnerving to the underwriters and as younger operators enter the HDT RV market trends become more critical.

The new government "trend-to-less-regulation" tends to make underwriters very nervous and a nervous underwriter is not a good thing in tiny markets like HDT RV's.

Unlike most folks that have a computer full of classified data........the items above are pretty well proven by just looking around the threads on the forum(s).

Maybe some things to ponder.....

Drive on...........(How does my underwriter feel......today??)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I just secured a policy for truck and trailer from State Farm in Tennessee. Thum Insurance had me with Blue Sky, then the non renewal came and Thum sent me a policy of same coverage for $500 more premium with National General. We decided to go shopping on our own and found a local State Farm agent that wrote a policy with the same coverage I had, for less cost than Blue Sky had last year. Granted, my wife spent several hours on the phone during over a several day period and I had several hours online in the evenings, but we came out better than I had expected.

i just don't like going through 3 different business entities to get an Insurance policy. Last year I had Thum Insurance who went through Blue Sky who was underwritten by RLI. Too many middle-men.

2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
2015 Keystone Raptor 412-TS
Lots of motorcycles and toys

Murfreesboro, TN.

I just secured a policy for truck and trailer from State Farm in Tennessee. Thum Insurance had me with Blue Sky, then the non renewal came and Thum sent me a policy of same coverage for $500 more premium with National General. We decided to go shopping on our own and found a local State Farm agent that wrote a policy with the same coverage I had, for less cost than Blue Sky had last year. Granted, my wife spent several hours on the phone during over a several day period and I had several hours online in the evenings, but we came out better than I had expected.

i just don't like going through 3 different business entities to get an Insurance policy. Last year I had Thum Insurance who went through Blue Sky who was underwritten by RLI. Too many middle-men.

Hi cwill925,

I am curious what your truck is registered as with State Farm. Motorhome ? The reason that I am asking this question is because I am also with State Farm in Ohio. My first truck was registered as a 'Toter'. It seems maybe I should look to have this new truck that I am working on registered as a motorhome.

Thank you for any input,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I am covered by State Farm and in May it will be 6 years they have covered the Volvo. We have had State Farm for over 30 years. But I guess in this day and time they could cancel tomorrow. Lets hope not. The 5er is covered by National General and they are the ones that paid on the totaled 5er in Sept. Still have a policy with them. The Volvo is titled as a Motorhome. Pat

The Old Sailor

i called today Gilbert in Florida. According to them, the Truck can not be used for other than getting gas, maintenance or pulling your camper.. no other private use..

so now i am waiting on a call back from miller and from National General.

i have not tried state farm, as i do not know, if they do private trucks in florida.

Thum Insurance can insure the Trucks and Trailers and has been handling them for years.  I used them for my first Volvo and again this year for my 2nd.  They have several carriers depending on your unit type.  800-866-0777 is the number I called.  

Crystal

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for those that shared this info, it's been a stressful couple days trying to get everything lined up, but I finally got everything settled and got insurance from National General through Miller Isurance group for my HDT and 5'ver I'm buying this week. .

I'm a new HDT owner and picking it up Friday. It's already registered as an RV so I thought that would make it more simple for insurance, but still a few hurdles to jump through. I first tried through USAA which is where we have our car insurance and the gentleman I'm buying it through has it insured through USAA now. However numerous people at USAA all up the chain all said they couldn't insure it because of it's weight, even as an RV and punted me off to Progressive through USAA. USAA was happy to write a policy for the 5th wheel, but if I went to Progressive for the HDT, the 5th wheel had to be moved there too. Progressive wanted to write two different policies, one for my 5th wheel and one for the Volvo, but somehow they'd be connected. First off their 5th wheel policy was about $300-$400 more than USAA and then for the HDT, they sent me over to the Comercial division and I knew that wasn't going to be good. I tried to stress it wasn't Commercial, and they said they knew, but only that division could cover it. They said they were writing a non-commercial/non business use policy. Needless to say, their quote came back for over $3k/yr for the HDT and close to $1k for the 5th wheel. I politely declined those prices and said no thanks. 

Last night I did two online quotes with Miller & Thum and then waited to hear back. Marlene from Miller got back to me right early this morning and she knew exactly what I wanted to do. It would be an understatement to say she made it a breeze and was so easy to work with. She walked me through everything and when she came back with the quote from National General she said I was going to be really happy with her and I was. It came in at just a little over $1400/yr for both units combined with 500k limits, etc. It broke down to a little under $600 for the 5th wheel which actually was cheapear than USAA, and a little over $800 for the HDT. She wanted pics of the HDT to confirm what they were insuring, but that was easy enough and everything worked out. 

Later on in the day, Sue fromThum got back with me and their original quote (also through National General) was within about $10 of the one from Miller, but I noticed the limits were quite a bit lower. I wrote back and asked her to bump them all to $500k and when she did it came back about $300+ more than the Miller one. I was surprised to see that two exact quotes from National General, just through different agents came back with over $300 difference. 

Thanks again to everyone on this forum and I've got my 5th wheel & HDT insured and I'm all set. 

Edited by BlueLghtning

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Congrats Blue.  This can turn into a real PITA, can't it?  Also very important to read the policy cause sometimes it's not apples to apples comparisons when changing companies.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Be very, very careful on limitations of use. In some cases they can be quite restrictive.

www.jackdanmayer.com

We lost our (Blue Sky) coverage also.  I was referred to Thum. I also picked up the C&C Marketing and Insurance (936-425-5041), name, somewhere on these forums.

I contacted both Thum and C&C.  Chris, at C&C got back to me within hours. When the quotes came in, C&C was several Hundred dollars lower, and with higher limits, than Thum..  both thru National General. I too was surprised that two quotes, using the same carrier, were so different.  Also Chris seemed to understand our situation, and RVing in-general, completely...  probably because Chris and her husband ARE RV'ers. (Escapee's..  Livingston, TX).

Chris related that she had formerly worked for National General (so, she REALLY understands INSURANCE), and when they retired, she became an Agent.

Whatever...  the bottom line is..  I like the way she talks..  very easy to talk to..  and she gets the job done quickly.

End of problem..  now back to more FUN things!!

Oh, here is the contact info:  C&C Marketing and Insurance  936-425-5041  CandCRVinsurance.com

Good Luck..

Paul

'06 FL Columbia, 515 Detroit, UltraShift (2-pedal), air-ride, super-singles. 'Ramblin' Rose'
12' Ambulance Box and Trailer Saver air-ride hitch. Remodeled Alpenlite 38' 5er. 2400w of Solar

Don't know where we're goin', yet..

..can't remember where we've been..

but we're havin' fun!