Roadside Assistance - GS vs Coachnet vs Progressive

gypsydan

I have a new policy for my RV with Progressive, and was reading the Roadside Assistance portion and realized I needed to find out more about Good Sam and Coachnet roadside assistance policies.

I've never had roadside assistance, so would like to have some stories about the experiences people have had between using the roadside assistance associated with their regular RV policy, versus purchasing a policy from GS or Coachnet. Progressive addon is $32, GS is $79, Coachnet is $179, all major differences.

I know it is said "you get what you pay for," and I have heard many horror stories about roadside assistance from GS, but never anything about Coachnet. Any thoughts?

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

10 years on the road and over 25 years rv,ing. We have had all the road side assistance products from the various providers and have over the year used them all. We have not had a serious issue with any of them coach net had a issue with paying the vendor a few years ago but that was resolved.

We check for the best prices for the same services and they are all pretty much the same so we change every couple of years or so. We have allstate at the present. We take advantage of the New member introductory offers thereby saving a lot of $$$.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Coach-Net has served us well for nearly 10 years so far. Coach-Net is a subsidiary of National Motor Club and has their own call center. Good Sam's ERS call center is currently through the Allstate Motor Club, but I don't know when that contract expires. Allstate is the third company they've used as their ERS contractor that I'm aware of, Allstate being one of the better ones. In comparison to Progressive's ERS, I think you'll find that Coach-Net offers significantly more benefits for RV'ers. If your RV's furnace quits at 3am for instance, and it's 30 deg.F outside, you can call Coach-Net for tech support assistance in getting it going again, but not Progressive.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

You need to check those prices ...I have had Coach-Net for 12+ years and have never paid anywhere near $179. They do have 3 or 4 levels of service, but when I have checked their prices have been the same or very close to Good Sam. Many years ago I had AAA for my cars and found them to be pretty iffy. Coach-net covers ALL vehicles in my family for that same price, and their 24 hr tech assistance by phone has saved me many times in addition to sending me a mobile tech on a few occasions.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

I've only had Coach-Net and have used them three time. Once for a blow out on the FW, Once for a damaged tire on the truck, and once for a tow on our car. Only problem was for the truck it took four hours for them to find someone to come out with a tire in Cincinnati. never used the Technical Assistance. I'll keep Coach-Net.

Dave and Marge

2010 Phaeton Motor Home
Previous Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (for sale)
and 2005 FL M2-106 Sport (for sale after 5er sells)

Paul - we also have coach net - purchased 3 yrs for something like $79.99 per year for a motorhome. If you look at what they offer now, I think for a coach it is $249 per year for the same coverages we previously purchased at the much lower rate. We have 1 more year and will then have to look at the others as that is way too expensive for us. Granted they are probably great ( we haven't had an opportunity to use them, and hope we don't) but.... very expensive now.

Pat DeJong

Paul - we also have coach net - purchased 3 yrs for something like $79.99 per year for a motorhome. If you look at what they offer now, I think for a coach it is $249 per year for the same coverages we previously purchased at the much lower rate. We have 1 more year and will then have to look at the others as that is way too expensive for us. Granted they are probably great ( we haven't had an opportunity to use them, and hope we don't) but.... very expensive now.

Searching on the Good Sam site I find their normal price for the same level of service I get from Coach-Net is $144.95 (all vehicles, telephone tech, etc), with a current special of $104.95.

Difficult to find anything about prices on the current Coach-Net site. Finally found $249 listed for a motorized RV. Looking back in my records I paid $149 to renew last year, and $119.50 in 2015. No way I would pay $249 to renew.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

Both of these top the list of ERS contracts. You'll find negative threads about both, there is a negative thread here on the escapees discussion forums (perhaps 4 yrs ago) and negative threads about GS ERS too. The both appear to use the same local providers for their services. I've been with GS ERS for about 11 yrs to date and never had a reason to complain.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I just got my renewal(3 months before it expires) for Good Sam platinum for $139.95.

Checked on changing to Coach net but their $249 is a turn off for me.

Allstate first year $99 and you have to talk to a agent. No way to order on line.

I have had ERS for over 20 plus years and last time I had to use it was in 2004 for a Michelin XRV zipper blow out.

Switched to Good Year G670's ever since.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I've never had roadside assistance, so would like to have some stories about the experiences people have had between using the roadside assistance associated with their regular RV policy, versus purchasing a policy from GS or Coachnet. Progressive addon is $32, GS is $79, Coachnet is $179, all major differences.

I have had both Good Sam coverage and Coach Net, and did have insurance that supplied roadside assistance through Continental Car Club. We never had occasion to be towed by any except Coach Net so it is hard to compare but our one experience with Coach Net was excellent. I did have an opportunity to compare services of Good Sam & Coach Net at an Escapade in Sedalia, MO one year when it rained a lot and most of those I spoke with who were towed were happy with Coach Net and the GS folks were satisfied, but not really happy. I never used any service from CCC so have no experience with them but have heard excellent reports and they seem to be most commonly used by insurance companies, so you may want to check and see who supplies road service from Progressive.

Looking at Coach Net's website it does seem to be that only the Premier coverage is now available to either towed or motorized RVs but when I check my renewal via the members only part of their site it does still list my current "basic" coverage and at the same rates as we have paid for the past few years. AFChap will find his renewal still available also if he uses the members only side of the website. It does look as though Coach Net may be pricing themselves out of the market.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You need to check those prices ...I have had Coach-Net for 12+ years and have never paid anywhere near $179. They do have 3 or 4 levels of service, but when I have checked their prices have been the same or very close to Good Sam. Many years ago I had AAA for my cars and found them to be pretty iffy. Coach-net covers ALL vehicles in my family for that same price, and their 24 hr tech assistance by phone has saved me many times in addition to sending me a mobile tech on a few occasions.

I thought it used to be much lower also, but here is there website which quotes $179. Maybe I'm not in the right place ?

But to check, I just called Coach-Net and was told their prices are $179 and $249, which of course is not practical for a small C. Like Kirk says, they are pricing themselves out of the market . . or . . since they are calling it "Premier Service" they are going after all the high-end coach buyers?

I will keep checking. And thanks for all the reply's.

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

I thought it used to be much lower also, but here is there website which quotes $179. Maybe I'm not in the right place ?

Motor Home price is $249 on that website. They may not get any new members at that price.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I'm signed in to Good Sam emergency roadside assistance website now. The pricing for new members is "RV and auto-standard $79.95, platinum $114.95. My renewal price is: $112.95.

I just now phoned the GS ERA number, option 3 directed me to GS customer service. When I was transferred, the recording said, "welcome to Basspro shops roadside assistance..???? The CS rep had no idea what I was talking about when I repeated that recording to her.

Could this be a stand-alone call center, NOT GS employees???

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I'm signed in to Good Sam emergency roadside assistance website now. The pricing for new members is "RV and auto-standard $79.95, platinum $114.95. My renewal price is: $112.95.

I just now phoned the GS ERA number, option 3 directed me to GS customer service. When I was transferred, the recording said, "welcome to Basspro shops roadside assistance..???? The CS rep had no idea what I was talking about when I repeated that recording to her.

Could this be a stand-alone call center, NOT GS employees???

Allstate handles the call center duties for several ERS plan sellers, apparently including Bass Pro, along with Good Sam. It looks like their phone system could use a little tech support... ;)

Dutch

There have been several comments that "Coachnet may be pricing itself out of the market"

Maybe, maybe not.

None of these companies own their own tow trucks, they have to find towing firms willing to accept the rates they want to pay.

And unlike Triple A, which deals mostly with cars, they need to find towing firms with BIG equipment. A motor home or bus conversion needs a big tow truck, and when it's on the hook, it's legally the same as a tractor trailer, so the driver must have a Class 1 commercial license.

It's possible the rates are being adjusted to deal with the reality that they can't find tow firms willing to work for their old rates. If so, we'll see it's competitors rates going up also.

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A vote for....none of the above (mentioned so far)

ERS:

Check out US Rider ...   yes it's intended for equestrians, *but* ownership of 'hay burners' *NOT* a requirement.

They will tow whatever you have.  Only requirement = YOU must be there.

For a "backup" - the AMA - no, not that one....(join the) American Motorcyclist Association!

$50 a year - will also tow whatever you have,* NO* M/C ownership req'd.  Towing limited to 35 miles.

Annual membership must be automatically deducted from your charge card.

Call 'em up - ask those ERS questions - - be (pleasantly) surprised...B)

I don't know which "RV Motor Plan" USRider is comparing their plan to, but Coach-Net at least, includes a lot more features than what they are listing. Coach-Net does include a "Roadside repair benefit" and "Flat Tire service on dual wheels", as well as unlimited towing instead of a 100 mile and $400 tow limit. I've never had a tow for any of my motorhomes that cost less than $600 except once back in our 21' Class C days. Coach-Net also includes features such as their 24/7 phone tech support service on all mechanicals and appliances in your RV. Make sure you ERS choice fits your RV's potential ERS needs.

http://www.usrider.org/about/compare

Dutch

On 2/27/2017 at 8:40 AM, gypsydan said:

I noticed that almost everybody discussed only CoachNet vs GS, which has been discussed to death before.  (I used GS once several years ago to tow my motorhome about 100 miles, and everything went fine, which I mention only because you said you'd heard horror stories about GS.)

I'm in the same situation you are--I just switched to Progressive and they offer a roadside assistance plan for cheap.  I'll note that the GS price of $79.95 is for new customers only, so it will be more next year.

I went with the Progressive one.  CoachNet is too expensive for me now, especially because I'll never use their technical advice line, so it's just like the others--arrange for a tow truck or tire or whatever.  I don't like the way Good Sam punishes existing customers by making them pay more than new customers, and I've gotten off Good Sam's mailing lists before, but it's not an experience I want to repeat, so I avoid them. 

The main downside I saw to Progressive's coverage is that unlike CoachNet or GS (or the add-on I had with Blue Sky insurance), it doesn't cover every vehicle in the household.  For example, I used my Blue Sky motorhome insurance's roadside assistance add-on to tow my toad when it was unattached to the motorhome.

Progressive's roadside assistance covers the motorhome, of course, and the toad while being towed.

https://www.progressive.com/rv/rv-insurance-coverages-roadside/

That's not good enough for me, so I got the roadside assistance add-on to the toad's vehicle insurance.  So each vehicle's roadside assistance is tied to its own insurance.  I'd prefer to have just one roadside assistance policy, but Good Sam's introductory rate is higher than what I'm paying for separately, and Good Sam will go up the next year.  So I'll deal with the slight inconvenience.

I specifically avoid plans with a limit on towing, either dollar or mileage. 

My wife and I have Emergency Road Service thru a program at FMCA. It works great we had a tire blow out on I-15 a couple of years ago on a Saturday night outside of Barstow. It took them about 3 hours to get out there, but (because they tried to get us a new tire) they got us back on the road. It's only $106.00 a year they cover all of our vehicles we also have it thru our Vehicle insurance company, but we have to pay for the service and submit for a refund. With the FMCA Road service no money, has to be paid at time of service and I believe they will tow up to 200 miles. I don't have the paperwork here to be sure. 

Remember..."Without Truck Drivers America Stops" 

"I woke up still not dead again today!"
"Take me to the Brig....I want to see the real Marines" Lt.Gen. L.B. "Chesty" Puller during a Battalion inspection.
"Semper Fi"

There's a similar question on another forum, and I did dug up my policy and made some calls and have new information. 

Upthread, I said "arrange for a tire" when discussing Progressive's roadside assistance plan, and that's wrong.  If I have a flat tire, the plan will cover putting on my existing spare, but does not include "tire repair" and does not have any provision for bringing a tire to me, like Good Sam and CoachNet do.  I don't carry a spare, so my only option with Progressive roadside assistance in that situation is to be towed.

With regard to toad coverage, the Progressive policy states: 

"Covered disabled vehicle" means:

c. any motor vehicle that is customarily towed by a covered vehicle for which this coverage has been purchased, that sustains a covered emergency while such covered vehicle is parked and being used as your residence.

When I was shopping a month ago, I was told by an agent as well as a Progressive phone rep that the toad wasn't covered.  But today, an online chat Progressive rep said the toad was covered, citing the above, saying the "such covered vehicle is parked" refers to the motorhome. 

Then I called a Progressive phone rep and he said the toad wasn't covered, but I pointed him to this language, and he put me on hold for a minute and came back and changed his mind and said the toad was covered.

He said he was going to submit something that would bring it to someone's attention that this needs to be clarified to the reps.

I asked if there would be hassles getting service for the toad, given the confusion, and he said the towing dispatch people should know it's covered (um, the actual Progressive people didn't...), I should have a copy of my policy handy on my phone to refer to (no smartphone, but I would keep a printout of that section in the car), and if all else fails, I can file for reimbursement.

Also, both the online and phone reps said towing is covered to the nearest qualified repair facility, or to any place of my choosing within 15 miles.  The latter part is not in my policy.

I also noticed that roadside labor is limited to 60 minutes.

• 2 months later...

The RV dealer we just purchased our 2015 StarCraft TT from provided a 1 year membership to Coach-Net. We used Travelers for our home and auto policy as they ended up being the most competitive for the collision/comprehensive plan we wanted. Our cars have emergency roadside assistance but the TT does not - so it's nice that we have the Coach-Net policy.  The tech that did our TT delivery review with us said he thinks CN is "the best RV emergency service program available".  He said you can call them 24/7/365 and get technical and roadside help.  It will interesting to see what the renewal fee is next year.

We're thinking about a Good Sam membership and it sounds like they offer ERS, but perhaps not at the level of CN.  We were also considering Escapee's as a RV club membership, but it does not appear they offer ERS.  Wouldn't it be great if there was a one stop shop that offered the best of everything RV related :D.

PS - this was the link I found for CN and the two packages they offer.  $179 for towable and $249 for motorized coaches.  Since the $179 also covers vehicles doing the towing, that seem like a pretty good deal. 

https://coach-net.com/skp/

Good info on this thread! 

Would the same information and recommendations that I am seeing apply to a Class B RV as well or would other companies and services be a better fit for someone full-timing in a class B?

SKP# 136386

Archived