San Francisco

Jonathan55

I'm planning on driving up Highway 101 in April and May. I'd like to spend several days exploring San Francisco by public transportation like BART. Can anyone recommend an RV park that would be an easy drive or better yet bicycle ride to the bus or train? I'm driving a class B.

Also sites not to be missed on 101 between San Diago and Bellingham WA.

Jonathan Smith

Marin RV Park in Greenbrae is a 10-15 minute walk to the Golden Gate Ferry, which drops you off at the Ferry Building at the foot of Market St. There is also bus service (no bikes on the commuter runs) into S.F. and north to Santa Rosa directly outside the park.

Alameda County Fairground's Fairpark RV Park is about 4 miles from the end of the BART line in Pleasanton.

Both BART and the Ferry allow bicycles outside of commute hours. During commute times BART is pretty much standing room only.

I don't know what rig you have or about the places Lou spoke of but in 1999 I was looking for a flat 2 week stay to visit someone and I was denied because my trailer was older than 10 yrs even though it still looked nice. I would be prepared for that possibility just in case. I ended up down at the town that is famous for growing garlic that I can't think of the name at the moment.

I remember now, Gilroy.

I'm planning on driving up Highway 101 in April and May. I'd like to spend several days exploring San Francisco by public transportation like BART. Can anyone recommend an RV park that would be an easy drive or better yet bicycle ride to the bus or train? I'm driving a class B.

Also sites not to be missed on 101 between San Diago and Bellingham WA.

Jonathan Smith

Jonathan you ask for "sites not to miss....... " between San Diego and WA! Your request could easily take up volumes of books! There is easily a "lifetime" of things to see and do on your route! Buy or check out some of the books that will help you on your trip. Enjoy! Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

I'm driving a class B.......................................................... Also sites not to be missed on 101 between San Diago and Bellingham WA.

Traveling with a class B you should be able to follow CA1 without going inland the way that US101 does. If you choose to do that it will take significantly longer than going in but it will expose you to some really great views. Near Eureka, CA 101 goes inland via the redwood area and that is scenic but if you continue down CA1 you see some coastal areas that most never visit.

Near Crescent City, CA is Redwood Natl. & State Parks which is well worth at least a day if not more. A great place to spend a day or two would be at Ft. Stephen's State Park, which is right at the mouth of the Columbia River on the Oregon side. The Oregon coast on south to Crescent City is spectacular but difficult to see if you are driving, so plan to travel very slowly. We once spent 4 days making that trip.

South of LA you will find that 101 again goes inland but with a class B you can easily stay on CA1 down through the Big Sur country and it is wonderful to see. at the south end of the Big Sur is Hurst Castle which you should see. I would plan to camp at San Simenon State Beach if possible.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I think Kirk meant between LA and SF when describing Big Sur, etc. With a Class B I would also recommend doing Highway 1 from LA up to SF. Stay on Highway 1 right through SF (on 19th Ave) IN THE MIDDLE LANE, through the tunnel under the Presido, then join Highway 101 and drive north (no toll) across the Golden Gate Bridge - Bucket Moment! :D

Do you like wine and want to see any of the wine country in Sonoma or Napa Valleys. We spend several weeks each year in those valleys so have a lot of suggestions, but if that isn't your thing, then continue on Highway 1 as far as you can before switching over to 101 north of Fort Bragg. Make sure that you stop at Bodega Bay (if you remember the movie "The Birds), Fort Ross State Park (Russian encampment in the 1800s), and Mendocino on your way up Highway 1.

Highway 101 along the Oregon Coast is spectacular and be sure to give yourself plenty of time. In Washington it is inland most of the time, but the Olypmic National Park (rain forest) shouldn't be missed.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

CA Hwy 1 through Big Sur is closed indefinitely - the bridge crossing Pfeiffer Canyon north of Big Sur is collapsing because the ground beneath it is sliding and they can't even think about replacing it until the ground stops moving.

http://www.ksbw.com/article/pfeiffer-canyon-bridge-in-big-sur-is-beyond-repair/8962606

The coast has been battered by over 60 inches of rain so far this winter and more is on the way.

Numerous landslides are blocking the highway south of Big Sur so that community is completely isolated - people are being helicoptered in and out.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/21/california-storms-big-sur-rain-flood?CMP=share_btn_link

A FYI: Several northern sections of Highway 1 are currently closed due to rock and mudslides. Depending on how much more rain we get, for how long, and the types of damage incurred, road closures can last from a couple days to several months. Right now, this is what to expect:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi?roadnumber=1&submit=Search

Check the CA DOT site for current road conditions before expecting to travel.

We have been going up and down the west coast for 10 years, still find new areas to explore each yea

Thanks! I'm thinking of staying at the San Francisco RV Resort where I get a small discount: http://www.sanfranciscorvresort.com/.

I want to get into the city to see some things like City Lights Bookstore and places where Jack Kerouac and friends hung out.

You might want to verify how the park is holding up given this winter storms. They're in Pacifica on the same slowly eroding coastal cliff that has claimed several apartment buildings so far.

Last time I checked (a couple of years ago) they had lost the row of spaces closest to the cliff edge.

Thanks again, good idea. I joined Thousand Trails this year to try them out. They had 2 zones for the price of one. Turns out many of the central California "rv resorts" are closed until June for repairs. There is a group on Facebook where someone posted pictures of Trailers surrounded by water where folks had to be rescued. Yickes, I would never had thought of that!

Jonathan

A lot of the TT parks are located near streams - they were primarily designed for families to get away from their usual weekly routine for a weekend. One of our favorites has us backed up on the Skykomish River - part of it can flood during snow melt in the spring. I'll bet one of those pictures was from Morgan Hill, where there is a stream that runs through the park. That area was heavily flooded during the recent rains. Yes, they will be a little out of the ways from things (Morgan Hill is south of San Jose, near Gilroy) but when you are paying nothing, it is easy to see how even spending a little for gas saves you money. We have also been moved out of a TT park (actually more than once) because of wild fires in nearby hills. But it doesn't take long to rack up 50+ nights a year, which gives you a $10/night or less overall cost.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• 4 months later...

We visited Riverbend Campground in Olympia WA and thought that it would be a good place to visit next year when we get our Travato. You could back up to the Nisqually River in a camping spot and hear rushing water from your bed when you are not catching fish. ($30/day; $180/week). Other sites of all descriptions. Full hookups for $45/day; $270/week, but you are not on the river.

1-1/2 ton Toyota pickup. Bought a Hyundai Elantra (manual transmission) as our future toad. Next, the motorhome to pull it!

10 hours ago, khb said:

We visited Riverbend Campground in Olympia WA and thought that it would be a good place to visit next year when we get our Travato. You could back up to the Nisqually River in a camping spot and hear rushing water from your bed when you are not catching fish. ($30/day; $180/week). Other sites of all descriptions. Full hookups for $45/day; $270/week, but you are not on the river.

Thanks! I loved Olympia so will keep in mind for next year!

• 4 weeks later...

Dunno about now, but in 2009 when I was there the Petaluma KOA had their own tour bus and driver.  Tour cost 30 bucks or so and we had a great tour of SF with lots of time to walk around at several places including the old fort.  We rode a cable car and the driver picked us up at the other end of the line.

There was a bit of an agricultural odor about the RV park, as kid's farming activities were part of their schtick.

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

Archived