Bad tank of DEF

Heavymetal

Headed to Austin, Texas this morning to pick up a Smart and the check engine light came on and the computer derated the engine 25% so I headed to the Western Star dealer. The service tech hooked the diagnostic computer up and it showed no DEF flow. We had stopped at a loves truck stop off I20 in LA, Friday and topped off the fuel and added 14 gallons of DEF, it turns out the DEF was contaminated and clogged up the filters. The service tech told me that this is very common when using the bulk DEF pumps and not the smaller jugs, so lesson learned. I will start using the jugs of DEF which as in this case would have been cheaper then the service to have the system flushed at the dealer.

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

Thanks for the info. Bought DEF at WalMart and the sales person said the Walmart brand of DEF was the same as the Blue DEF and less expensive. Don't know how true it is but have used it the last few times and can't tell any difference, Best wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

I might be tempted to send that service bill to the Love's truck stop with your purchase receipt for the DEF. You can't be the only one that this happened to at that stop. I carry a case of 4 x 2.5 gal jugs with me but would not want to be using them all the time compared to bulk filling.

I might be tempted to send that service bill to the Love's truck stop with your purchase receipt for the DEF. You can't be the only one that this happened to at that stop. I carry a case of 4 x 2.5 gal jugs with me but would not want to be using them all the time compared to bulk filling.

I have used the truck stop in our small town many times for my Ford truck, but this was the first time I needed it for the HDT as I was down to 1/2 tank. I never have had problems with the local stop and plus they are $1.25 a gallon and loves was $2.75. I think I will fuel up a few 5 gallon cans local before our next trip to the ECR and then the WCR in Idaho.

2 Great Danes

I would hate to know I had to dump 8 to 10 of those 2.5 gallon jugs in to fill my DEF tank. Bulk fill is a lot easier but a repair bill is a lot more expensive. I might have to re-think how I buy DEF fluid.

Not sure what the bill will end up being, but you can bet it will be more then 10 of the 2.5 jugs of DEF. I will be calling Loves truck stop and complain and see if there is any recourse.

2 Great Danes

Not sure what the bill will end up being, but you can bet it will be more then 10 of the 2.5 jugs of DEF. I will be calling Loves truck stop and complain and see if there is any recourse.

Buddy of mine had 2 trucks to get bad DEF in TX last year. He told me that Love's covered the bill. He had to send them a copy of his Fuel Ticket. But he does have 200+ trucks and buys a lot of fuel there in a days time.

Pete

event.png

Buddy of mine had 2 trucks to get bad DEF in TX last year. He told me that Love's covered the bill. He had to send them a copy of his Fuel Ticket. But he does have 200+ trucks and buys a lot of fuel there in a days time.

Pete

They will be getting a call from me when I find out the cost of repair.

2 Great Danes

Definitely get on and stay on Love's case. If I had to hazard a guess, they probably don't own or service the DEF dispensing system, leaving that to an outside vendor, who would be the responsible party. And I am sure you were not the only one affected, no matter what kind of excuses the management may tell you. "Oh, you have been the only call yada yada yada"

Let us know...

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Definitely get on and stay on Love's case. If I had to hazard a guess, they probably don't own or service the DEF dispensing system, leaving that to an outside vendor, who would be the responsible party. And I am sure you were not the only one affected, no matter what kind of excuses the management may tell you. "Oh, you have been the only call yada yada yada"

Let us know...

It was the first time to put DEF in the new truck which really made me mad.

2 Great Danes

Heavymetal, you should be getting around 2000 DEF miles/gal so I wouldn't really worry about dumping a jug or two in that often.

They called me from the Freightliner dealer this afternoon and after more research they found that the inside of the DEF tank was peeling thus clogging everything up. I used 6 gallons of DEF in the last 3k miles on this last trip. Freightliner is replacing the tank, lines, and anything else associated with the system under warranty.

Another problem. I had no backup lights on the truck or the trailer and when the service manager called he said it was in the wiring on my bed. I told him no way! You only have one way to hook them up green wire for power and the ground (I used the factory four pin connector )and if they are hooked up wrong then it came that way from the factory because they did not work when I received the truck. On top of that the lights at the rear of the truck have nothing to due with the trailer, so after two hours of messing around with my bed wiring ( which was all heat shrinked, wrapped and secured ) it ended up being a sensor. I am sure I will be redoing my bed wiring this Saturday.

2 Great Danes

Went through contaminated Def and other Def related issues in our Jeep..... Not Fun! When we purchase our 2012 Volvo with Def we new of the potential issues with the system and the importance of using and keeping the Def Fresh. Since we only travel 10,000 miles/yr To keep the Def as fresh as possible we work off the bottom of the tank and only add 5 gallons at a time. We buy Def less than a year old, and store in a cool place.

Reading Date Codes:

The date code on a BlueDEF box is GA153590089, breaks down into 4 groups:
GA: The plant that manufactured the DEF.
15: The year of manufacture plus 1, so this DEF was made in 2014 (15-1=14).
359: 365-359 = 6, so the 6th day of the year, or January 6th.
0089: The batch code.
So this container of DEF was made January 6th, 2014.

Storage Of Def:

Specification life for DEF is 2 years at 75F or so. Stored properly, this DEF is good thru January 6th, 2016.Storage life is highly dependent on temperature. DEF stored at 85F only lasts 12 months. Storage above 95F (not unusual in an vehicle parked in the sun during the summer) is limited to 1 month or so. (source of information: ISO 22241-3,).

The Dealer we purchased the truck from recommended flushing the tank yearly. Not sure if any of this helps...we still had to replace a Nox sensor... but it makes me feel better.

Good Luck and be Safe. Bob

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

Went through contaminated Def and other Def related issues in our Jeep..... Not Fun! When we purchase our 2012 Volvo with Def we new of the potential issues with the system and the importance of using and keeping the Def Fresh. Since we only travel 10,000 miles/yr To keep the Def as fresh as possible we work off the bottom of the tank and only add 5 gallons at a time. We buy Def less than a year old, and store in a cool place.

Reading Date Codes:

The date code on a BlueDEF box is GA153590089, breaks down into 4 groups:

GA: The plant that manufactured the DEF.

15: The year of manufacture plus 1, so this DEF was made in 2014 (15-1=14).

359: 365-359 = 6, so the 6th day of the year, or January 6th.

0089: The batch code.

So this container of DEF was made January 6th, 2014.

Storage Of Def:

Specification life for DEF is 2 years at 75F or so. Stored properly, this DEF is good thru January 6th, 2016.Storage life is highly dependent on temperature. DEF stored at 85F only lasts 12 months. Storage above 95F (not unusual in an vehicle parked in the sun during the summer) is limited to 1 month or so. (source of information: ISO 22241-3,).

The Dealer we purchased the truck from recommended flushing the tank yearly. Not sure if any of this helps...we still had to replace a Nox sensor... but it makes me feel better.

Good Luck and be Safe. Bob

Hi Radar 274,

I have a question or too for you about your DEF storage. Do you flush your DEF system yourself ? If you do the work yourself how is it done ?

Thanks for any info,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

They called me from the Freightliner dealer this afternoon and after more research they found that the inside of the DEF tank was peeling thus clogging everything up. I used 6 gallons of DEF in the last 3k miles on this last trip. Freightliner is replacing the tank, lines, and anything else associated with the system under warranty.

Another problem. I had no backup lights on the truck or the trailer and when the service manager called he said it was in the wiring on my bed. I told him no way! You only have one way to hook them up green wire for power and the ground (I used the factory four pin connector )and if they are hooked up wrong then it came that way from the factory because they did not work when I received the truck. On top of that the lights at the rear of the truck have nothing to due with the trailer, so after two hours of messing around with my bed wiring ( which was all heat shrinked, wrapped and secured ) it ended up being a sensor. I am sure I will be redoing my bed wiring this Saturday.

As I started reading that, I cringed at not being able to point the finger at Love's, but relaxed when I saw warranty! If you need help with bed wiring, let me know.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

It was Flushed By the Dealer both times. There is a drain plug in the tank and a friend of mine is certified Volvo tech so will try it myself the next time.

Scrap would know how this is done, maybe he will chime in.

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

Holy cow pies! I sure am glad I don't have to worry with DEF. It may not be too bad for OTR drivers but sounds like a butt pain for RV users. You guys have my sympathies.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

My brother in law, happy as can be. His hew 120HP Farm tractor with only 9 hours on it. Had to be hauled back to the dealers lot. And his tank was the the issue. The DEF had dried out in this tank. Someone at the factory had filled the tank full. Then the tractor sat for 18 months. so his tractor had a full tank all that time. They had to replace a lot of stuff on it to fix the issue.

Then his 85 year old dad. Told him your Stupid tractor is Junk Junk junk. Wayne ask what he was talking about. His dad was griping about it taking him 10 minutes to get diesel into the tank. Yes he had pumped the DEF tank full of fuel. So reember if someone tries hard enough they can and will get diesel into that small opening.. :angry:

Pete

event.png

Holy cow pies! I sure am glad I don't have to worry with DEF. It may not be too bad for OTR drivers but sounds like a butt pain for RV users. You guys have my sympathies.

When your retire just make sure you travel enough to keep your DEF refreshed. The spring and summer trip will be about 12k miles so the DEF will get flushed alright.

2 Great Danes

As I started reading that, I cringed at not being able to point the finger at Love's, but relaxed when I saw warranty! If you need help with bed wiring, let me know.

Finished the wiring last night, it is all new shrink tube fittings and is done up with split lum. I even had enough energy to install all four cameras, 7" monitor and all wiring, also with split lum. Next and last job on the new truck is the inverter.

2 Great Danes

My brother in law, happy as can be. His hew 120HP Farm tractor with only 9 hours on it. Had to be hauled back to the dealers lot. And his tank was the the issue. The DEF had dried out in this tank. Someone at the factory had filled the tank full. Then the tractor sat for 18 months. so his tractor had a full tank all that time. They had to replace a lot of stuff on it to fix the issue.

Then his 85 year old dad. Told him your Stupid tractor is Junk Junk junk. Wayne ask what he was talking about. His dad was griping about it taking him 10 minutes to get diesel into the tank. Yes he had pumped the DEF tank full of fuel. So reember if someone tries hard enough they can and will get diesel into that small opening.. :angry:

Pete

I just hope it did not start it up!

2 Great Danes

I just hope it did not start it up!

Yes he did fire it up. And would have been cutting hay,it ran idle for over an hour. :unsure: But his phone caused him to have to stop. I think Wayne was out over $5000. on that deal. The key to that tractor is never left out. And the cab's locked, also he had a locking cap on on that tank also.

Pete

event.png

Yes he did fire it up. And would have been cutting hay,it ran idle for over an hour. :unsure: But his phone caused him to have to stop. I think Wayne was out over $5000. on that deal. The key to that tractor is never left out. And the cab's locked, also he had a locking cap on on that tank also.

Pete

Costly lesson!

2 Great Danes

Archived