Short Cars

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

With the possible demise of the imported Smart Car, what is the next shortest vehicle?

Fiat 500?

Mini-Cooper?

I know there are a ton of vehicles that are not imported to the US that would fit on our trucks or in a 10' garage. But what is available here?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Back when we were kids a mini (the real one) were often shortened by cutting it behind the front seats ,easy to do with it being FWD.

bet it would be short enough .At my age Iam not worried though at less then 5 K a year it will last me long enough.Might need to be repowered once (looking for a hyabusa wreck ) :rolleyes:

ha! just googled "original mini shortened" looks good if a bit funky

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Hard to beat the 10' threshold. Scion I Q was 10'6",. The entire Scion line has been discontinued. A Chevy Spark is 12' long and weighs about 2250 lbs, same dimensions as my 1996 Geo Tracker. The Sparks are everywhere, available for $12k new, 2 year old vehicles out of rental fleets are about $7k.

Mini cars abound on the used market. People get tired of them in no time and trade them.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I drove a Honda 600 for 5 years. It was a 1970. 2 cly and got 50 mpg on flat land. The only problem was when I was out with the shipmates you never knew where it would be parked because they would just pick it up and relocate it. It would carry 4 people. I'm not sure what the bumper to bumper was. They are really hard to find. Pat

The Old Sailor

My Dad, brother and sister each had one. They were 122" long and were GREAT on fuel esp during rationing here in Cali. My brother used to get his picked up and moved around, mostly for laughs at school. He filed the under side edges of the bumper, they picked it once more and never again after that. I guess some people just learn the hard way. And yes they are hard to find. I saw one recently for $8000. My Dad bought his new off the lot for $1598.00. I still remember.

Marcel

I drove a Honda 600 for 5 years. It was a 1970. 2 cly and got 50 mpg on flat land. The only problem was when I was out with the shipmates you never knew where it would be parked because they would just pick it up and relocate it. It would carry 4 people. I'm not sure what the bumper to bumper was. They are really hard to find. Pat

The Old Sailor

Back in high school my girlfriend had one. It ended up sitting on top of parking stops , inside the auto shop class room and in the school hallway.

She was a good sport and one awesome driver in that thing it handled awesome.

Wonder how bad the power bill would be for an electric. I actually considered it when I got mine. Figured parks might kick on it. Never asked though. If I going very far DW car gets used. Mine is a grocery geter when I go and go to job and back which is always under 80mile trip

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

The electric smart will still be around ,and I would be ok with one - we never go far with it.

It might come up short chasing parts on the Alaska Highway. We had to do 450 miles in one day.

Still for most folks, most of the time, it would likely do fine.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I see an electric Smart with a BMW i3 range extender (mini 2-cylinder engine driving a generator) in someone's future.

BTW--Electric cars are going really cheap right now. The first round that went into 3-year leases in California are hitting the auction blocks in pretty high numbers. The Smart is the ugly duckling of the group, but even the Fiat 500e can be had for not much over $4K at dealer auction, and pretty easily in the $6000-8000 range with 30,000 miles or less.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

68 miles per charge, In perfect conditions, no A.C or other high power energy users, bet it is closer to 40-45 mile range before recharge.

May need a recharge after driving it up our car ramps to get on the deck LOL.

It'll be interesting to see in the real world. My parents just bought a 500e for their 70-mile round trip to and from the shop. They actually drive enough that it can make sense on fuel savings alone. But I can guarantee it'll be 72.4 degrees inside, with one heated seat always on and about 12 electronic gizmos charging. The 500e should be good for 84 miles (EPA), so they better be able to get 35 mostly highway out of it.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

The issue with the fiat 500 is that it is about 11' 6" long. Considerably bigger than the smart. But it might be a great "incline load" on the truck!!

I'll be interested in their experience with the Fiat. I'm sure it can make it TO the shop....as long as it gets charged there. And you can always put a solar panel on its roof like a golf cart :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Part of my inquiry here on short vehicles is/was our wanting to keep the truck short and loading a Smart into a 10ft garage. I'm wondering if a 12ft garage wouldn't make better sense, but that messes up the current floorplan.

Alie and I talked about an electric model. The primary concern is the range on them. We would have to carry a Honda genset to charge it along the way while site seeing!

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

With a little bit of insight from my sisters Tesla, the charging rates would be the greatest concern. With the super chargers out there it can be quick and right now for Tesla's & some others free if you can find one. (think large metropolitan areas) For most of the RVers, range and charging rates would be very important. From a conventional 20 or 30 amp outlet you'd be looking at several hours for a recharge.

I'm not familiar with the likes of the new electric Smart but my guess would be similar issues. Time and money changes everything so hopefully they will come up with something that works.

I haven't looked at any spec's, if they are available, however with a toyhauler, the next concern would be the weight.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

however with a toyhauler, the next concern would be the weight.

Toyhauler? "We don't need no stinkin' toyhauler". LOL That's what the big truck is for.

If I ever lose the smart, I guess I am heading back to Larry's place. Stretch the frame and the bed and load something from the rear. The choices for that are much better. Maybe a Mini?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Take it from me, a deer at 70 mph will total a Smart. That what happened to my 2013. Most any accident will. And drivers I have discovered has no respect for them. Really don't see me wearing it out before something happens.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Buy a smart take good care of it and it will last into the next generation of owners (your kids) look it how long classic cars survive ,all it takes is a will to do it- but don't crash it.

But those "classic" cars were built in a time where everything was built to last. Toaster ovens, cameras, radios and televisions were all repairable. We build everything to be disposable now. The next generations will not have "classic" anything. No antique furniture, cars ...nothing.

Take it from me, a deer at 70 mph will total a Smart.

Glenn, where did you find a 70 mph deer?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

:) Got mine last year that thing hit me doing 60mph those buggers are fast. ha It had improper head lights, horn that didn't work, inoperative or none existing signal lights, making illegal lane changes. and I am not so sure it wasn't texting. Did not have any insurance or a drivers license And it crossed the road in a place where there was no dear crossing sings. It did not do to much damage to the truck about 1200 dollars worth seriously in a smart car it could of turned out a lot worse thank goodness it didn't.

But those "classic" cars were built in a time where everything was built to last. Toaster ovens, cameras, radios and televisions were all repairable. We build everything to be disposable now. The next generations will not have "classic" anything. No antique furniture, cars ...nothing.

Glenn, where did you find a 70 mph deer?

lol. I asked for that. I was traveling 65 +.

Toyhauler? "We don't need no stinkin' toyhauler". LOL That's what the big truck is for.

If I ever lose the smart, I guess I am heading back to Larry's place. Stretch the frame and the bed and load something from the rear. The choices for that are much better. Maybe a Mini?

Let's call it an Asset hauler.... Think New Horizons Motomover-Spacecraft-DRV Full House-

But let's build it on a Space Craft frame with an ability to haul a car or pair of bikes. Now if we change the floor plan a little we could accommodate a Jeep or Smart and an HD Trike, or, or, or...

As for Glenn hitting a 70mph deer in Baytown.... Didn't you know everything was bigger and faster in Texas :lol:

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived