End of the gas powered Smart Car?

Chuck Williams

Link to article.

MSN Reporting - In a sign of the times, the gas-powered version of the nation's smallest car is about to disappear from the U.S. motoring scene, Mercedes-Benz said Monday ((2/13/2017)).

The Smart car, introduced into the U.S. about the time that gasoline prices were hitting record highs, won't be sold in the U.S. and Canada after the 2017 model year.

My 2010 Smart has 105,000 miles on it, I was hoping to replace it in 2 or 3 years.

Maybe this is fake news or alternative facts.

2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
2015 Keystone Raptor 412-TS
Lots of motorcycles and toys

Murfreesboro, TN.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Thoughts on future parts and service availability?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Definitely true http://fortune.com/2017/02/14/daimler-smart-electric/

Only 6,200 sold in the US in 2016. Disappointing, but not worth the effort for Daimler.

The US market just cannot seem to get away from the "bigger is better" syndrome - oh wait ... which forum is this?

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Mercedes will always provide service and parts are only an ocean away. We have planes making that trip daily.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Not the end at all ,only in north america.They will soldier on in the rest of the world ,parts will be out there like big5er said.

Remember its a big world out there

perspective required

The thread title "End of the gas powered Smart Car" was taken from the original report posted on MSN. Lack of perspective is from the poor journalism of the media writers. RV owners possess proper perspective at all times... :D

2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
2015 Keystone Raptor 412-TS
Lots of motorcycles and toys

Murfreesboro, TN.

Hmmm. Now I'm wondering how much trouble I should go to to modify our bed for the car. We can load the car in the toy hauler and put the bikes on the bed, with no mods. However, it's a lot harder to clean the bikes. The toy box is long enough for a larger car, if need be.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Wonder if you'll be able to order 1 for importing to US standards?

As in ordering from Smart? No. You can federalize them, but it's generally incredibly expensive (as in smash 3 or 4 to show it's safer than a Pinto, then do EPA drive-cycle and emission testing). You might be able to convince the Registered Importer that the crash testing isn't necessary so long as the body isn't changed, and Smart will provide documentation to show that there's nothing different that would affect the crash.

Then you get to deal with swapping out components that are different between here and Europe--headlights are different, US requires side marker lights and reflectors, turn signal and DRL requirements are different, the odometer has to show miles, etc.--and you're paying the importer to do and document all that work. It's not insurmountable, just not practical to do one for just yourself.

Mercedes will always provide service and parts are only an ocean away. We have planes making that trip daily.

For the 451s, little at all to worry about. It's no different than right now--the body style is out of production, and there are enough out there that most parts will be available from Smart for a while, and there are recyclers after that. It's not a unique problem, and there are probably a number of parts that you can no longer buy from Smart now. Even for an established brand, parts availability is never a guarantee--my Taurus SHO's speedometer cable was out of production and only available at 2 dealers in the country by the time the car was 5 years old. It's a catch-22 for stuff that fails but doesn't fail often enough and soon enough.

The current model will probably be a lot more dicey, at least for anything not common to the electric version. Most of that should be able to be imported though, as the engine and transmission are common to the ECE version.

But for how most of these cars are used most of the time, the electric version actually makes al ot of sense. Any time you're at a campground, you've got a high-speed charging capability, often included in the site rent. If you need to go further than its range, you rent a car.

Glenn - That Fiat is a rebadged Miata, and has gotten pretty good reviews. Last I saw, you can actually get it a little cheaper than the Miata too.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Over a year ago I read they were seriously thinking of discontinuing Smart Car sales in the US because sales were so low. The article I read seemed to imply that RVers were about the only people buying them.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Over a year ago I read they were seriously thinking of discontinuing Smart Car sales in the US because sales were so low. The article I read seemed to imply that RVers were about the only people buying them.

They'll keep the BEV version so long as Daimler doesn't have one under the Mercedes banner in order to meet the California mandates. Not too different than the line in the 90s that every Silverado was priced with a Geo Metro included to meet CAFE standards.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

There is a rental car sharing company up here in Canada that uses only smarts. It was neat to see them all lined up on the streets of Calgary. They seemed to be everywhere you looked.

Steven

No. You can federalize them, but it's rally incredibly expensive (as in smash 3 or 4 to show it's safer than a Pinto,

And what is wrong with a Pinto? Lol. I drove one for many years before I sold it to my brother.

Maybe the fact that is was bright orange avoided any rear end accidents and pending explosions. ?

Steven

And what is wrong with a Pinto? Lol. I drove one for many years before I sold it to my brother.

Maybe the fact that is was bright orange avoided any rear end accidents and pending explosions.

I was actually poking fun at the fact that you wouldn't be able to import a Euro-market 2018 Smart, with airbags, crumple zones, etc. because we don't know it's safe enough. But a Pinto could be imported with absolutely zero modification. In other words, the government says your 40-year old Pinto is still safer than a state-of-the-art French car!

Archived