Speaking of Clearances ?

hdonlybob

This sort of thing is rather common. An optical illusion that is deceiving. If the picture was taken even with the roof of the truck you would see at least 6 " clearance up there, which is plenty. Usually have warning lasers and lights in a newer tunnel like that.

You want to have some excitement? Take the Cross Bronx Expressway in NYC (I-95) southbound under the apartments approaching the GW Bridge. Dark, lots of old steel and concrete sticking out, and well after it is too late to do anything about it you will see several signs that say 12'6". And you are motoring through there, as everyone else is with 13'6" equipment, bouncing up and down 3 inches because of the rough road.

NY state has this arcane requirement to post everything 12" lower than actual. But even if you add the 12" you are right at 13'6". No normal truck hits. I have seen flatbed loads not properly measured scrape and leave miles of sparks.

Long ago I figured out how to avoid problems. Follow someone else that is the same height. If he hits, you just stop before you do.

By the way, my Garmin Dezl truck GPS will route me right though it. My Rand McNally truck GPS won't.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

There's a train bridge over US50 1 mile east of the only Indiana exit on I-275 around Cincy. It's marked 13'6" on both sides, but is really 13'8" at the lowest point. We have to go around, or fold, with some of our equipment. The underside of the bridge has some scrapes from over size loads, or loads that "bounced." When I transport the combine through there, I fold all bin extensions and drive s-l-o-w-l-y, so as to not bounce the floater tires.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I came upon a bridge I think in Louisiana a couple weeks ago that was marked 13' 10" and I'm a 13' 6" and no where to go but under it. I was sure hoping there measurements were right, made it thru but I like a little more room.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

We had an overpass on I-10 marked 14ft.....they forgot to change the sign after resurfacing the road by putting a layer of asphalt down. The driver that hit it swore he wasn't 14 ft tall. Turns out he was right, but that didn't help the top of his load any.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Jeff, my company that I drove for (UPS) even had on the directions they would give you going that way in NY to ignore the signs and keep going, boy was I nervous the first trip into Queens!!!!! That picture looks like the Harbor tunnel in Baltimore, I know the old tunnel there is lower, I saw one of oue sleeper teams having a nice conversation with a officer after going thru with a set of doubles in that one.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

We had an oversize yesterday knock the signal light off a pole in an intersection. Hauling an excavator. Seems to me that is why they make tape measures, and ask on the permit how tall. Guess he didnt bother to measure. Well he is paying for it now.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

We're quite paranoid and check routes quite carefully but still.

We won't go within 50 miles of Chicago and it's burbs, lots of low bridges in that area on freeways.

If it is on a freeway there are federal guidelines that must be followed. It states 14 feet in urban areas and 16 feet in rural areas.

Vertical clearance: Minimum vertical clearance under overhead structures (including over the paved shoulders) of 16 feet (4.9 m) in rural areas and 14 feet (4.3 m) in urban areas, with allowance for extra layers of pavement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Highway_standards

VisitedStatesMap.gif

You do realize that you're talking about Chicago....

Exactly, some time ago I found a listing of low clearance overpasses on FREEWAYS in the Chicago area and just decided there was nothing there for us, don't like their pizza anyway.

Don't be naïve, always check, also check the truckers atlas listings.

Archived