High Profile Vehicles

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

As spring time comes around and we all start our northern migrations, please remember that while our trucks are capable of pulling and stopping our rigs, we are at the mercy of high winds.

This was this past Tuesday, 2-7-17-

https://www.facebook.com/118611954828240/videos/1355001197855970/

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jim,

Personal experience with high winds between Amarillo, TX and Albuquerque, NM. Was six hours of slow speeds and white knuckles.

45 mph direct crosswind and abrupt maneuver can tip a semi with trailer. Gusting winds of that speed can cause complete lane changes. If winds would have been higher, would have been parked for the night. Luckily that area is monitored and I40 will be closed if winds become excessive.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

This driver wasn't quite so lucky. I've always wanted to travel this bridge-tunnel...but having second thoughts now.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I've driven a lot more in high wind across the desert into the mountains then I care to think about. When my company pulled doubles it seemed like we lost a trailer at least a year.

Every truck is different and you need to learn the warning signs. All our trucks have had air dams over the cab that have been more of a pain to me in high wind.

Now most of my driving has been at night so you can't see trees or bushes blowing in the wind so you have to read the truck early.

My peterbilt when the wind started to get bad would begin to make wind noise letting me know to watch out.

My frieghtliner the CB antennas would start banging on the airdam warning me.

The Volvo day cab I have know is the worst!!

The wind hits the top of the airdam and compresses the rear suspension, at the same time you feel the front end start jack knifing with no other warning. It really wakes you up!! This is loaded or empty.

Our sleeper trucks (volvos) the drivers complain about the cab airbags being to soft causing the cab to really dance.

Now in RV use my peterbilt is great? No airdam and my toyhauler almost always has our early bronco in it making a heavy low center of gravity really planting the trailer to the ground. I have to be careful when passing motorhomes to remember I really disrupt the air blowing them all around.

One day we where in a heavy cross wind, I told my DW laughing to look in her mirror at the trailer. She looked and panicked OH MY GOD IT'S GONE!!! No just look in my mirror. You could see most of the side of the trailer as it tracked sideways.

Be careful guys

One of our carriers that hauls for us was going the other direction on the bridge Thursday morning when the accident happened, and saw the truck go thru the guard rail. The trailer was empty and should not have been crossing with the high wind. He said that the trucker had passed some loaded trucks, and when he came out around them, the wind blew it thru the guard rail.

This driver wasn't quite so lucky. I've always wanted to travel this bridge-tunnel...but having second thoughts now.

The Bay Bridge is a great drive on a good day, not so good that day.

Another highway/bridge that has potential to be dicey is 7 Mile bridge down in the Florida Keys. I've pulled some big boats across it and it always makes me think "What IF?"

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

The Mackinaw bridge between Michigan's lower and upper peninsulas can be 'fun' .

Last time we crossed that bridge it was a windy day, and we were on motorcycles.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I've been in 45mph steady direct crosswinds with 55 mph gusts. They were closing I70 around us.....this was in KS. It is nothing to take lightly. We got off the road as soon as we could. In KS the bigger issue is brownouts. Until you have been in one you don't know how scarey it can be.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The DW and I just returned from a little getaway to Hatteras, NC. We were going to slip up to VA Beach for one night until the forecast called for 45 knot gusts that afternoon/evening. Sitting in the campground listening to the wind howl was enough for me, I wasn't about to cross any bridges in that wind!

2006 Renegade/Freightliner Coronado 43', Detroit, twin screw, 12spd

The Bay Bridge is a great drive on a good day, not so good that day.

Another highway/bridge that has potential to be dicey is 7 Mile bridge down in the Florida Keys. I've pulled some big boats across it and it always makes me think "What IF?"

We stay in Marathon right at the north end of the bridge. After crossing the bridge in a stiff enough wind that I had to keep the motorcycle (heavy harley touring bike) leaned into the wind to go straight, we learned to stay off the bridge on really windy days. Never really heard of any blowover problems like those mentioned here on any of the keys bridges in all times we stayed down there. I was always more concerned with the result of a "normal" accident. If you get thrown over the rail, you already several miles out to sea with a stiff cross current.

I live here in Chesapeake Va and I didn't hear that the trailer was empty. At the time there was a Level 2 wind advisory in affect that restricted trucks and trailer requiring the trailer to a min load of 30'000 lbs. Having seen the pictures of the truck floating we thought the load had shifted to the front causing the rear to stay up. I still haven't heard that they have gotten the trailer or even looking for it or the cab. As has been said always be careful and listen to and OBEY the restrictions and advisories. Pat

The Old Sailor

Update The report that the driver was picked up from the trailer appears to be false, A Navy helo picked the driver up out of the water. They tried to revive him but couldn't. The autopsy showed that he drown. The Va Pilot said he was passing a couple of trucks and a gust of wind got him. The trailer was spotted 20 miles off shore. It is floating and has been marked. The cab is close to the bridge and the owner company has been told they have to pay to remove it. Pat

The Old Sailor

Archived