Where to find towing specs?

pegwillen

I just looked at the specifications for Winnebago and Laze Days Class C's. Both list the GVWR and the GCWR the difference of which would be the maximum towing capacity. They also both list the maximum rating of the tow hitch, which may be less than the difference between GCWR and GVWR.

Thanks, I didn't know that was how to figure it out.

16' Taylor Coach TT/Silverado tow vehicle

You have to look at all the specifications for the vehicle as equipped. This is from the Laze Days specifications: "G.C.W.R. - (Gross Combination Weight Rating) V-10. Maximum allowable combined weight of “loaded” motorhome and either “loaded tow vehicle or trailer”. NOTE: The standard equipped 2” receiver hitch rating is 4,000 pounds."

The receiver/hitch will usually have a plate or be stamped with the weight ratings for maximum trailer and tongue weight. Hitches are also rated by "Class I-V".

I've never seen a gas-powered MH with a hitch capacity over 5,000#.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I've never seen a gas-powered MH with a hitch capacity over 5,000#.

From the Winnebago chassis specifications "Trailer hitch67,500-lb. drawbar/500-lb. maximum vertical tongue weight (NA 31D, 31G), 350-lb. maximum vertical tongue weight (31D, 31G)"

Pegwillen,

You really need to look at the manufacturer's specifications and even more important the weight stickers for GVWR and GCWR on the individual unit and the sticker/plate or markings on the hitch. Those will be the real ratings not what you read on the internet forums.

As TrailerTraverler noted, you really do need to look and Mfg specs for the exact numbers.

From the Winnebago chassis specifications "Trailer hitch67,500-lb. drawbar/500-lb. maximum vertical tongue weight (NA 31D, 31G), 350-lb. maximum vertical tongue weight (31D, 31G)"

Pegwillen,

You really need to look at the manufacturer's specifications and even more important the weight stickers for GVWR and GCWR on the individual unit and the sticker/plate or markings on the hitch. Those will be the real ratings not what you read on the internet forums.

In the link given, once you are on the webpage, you need click on the gray "chassis" bar to see the spec quoted above.

Also here is the details from the little superscript "6" right after "Trailer hitch":

Actual towing capacity is dependent on your particular loading and towing circumstances which includes the GVWR, GAWR, and GCWR, as well as adequate trailer brakes. Please refer to the Operator's Manual of your vehicle for further towing information.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Thank you all, I'm thinking now that I won't tow a truck, which I would need the 6' bed to bring my birds' portable aviary, but rather figure out another way to allow the birds to get outside, and looking at a vehicle like a Chev Equinox or Jeep Compass type, since my 2003 Toyota Corolla with 250k+ of flawless service isn't worth the cost of the lube pump that would allow it to be dinghy towed!

16' Taylor Coach TT/Silverado tow vehicle

Archived