Good Sam Insurance Agency

SuiteSuccess

Rick it is unlikely that One company could provide nationwide policy issues so a club might have a few providers.....

IF Blue Sky is gone I have some shopping to do for s new insurance company.....

Seems like a lot of folks on the forum that have Blue Sky will be shopping for a new insurance company soon.....

As far as price.....insurance first then price and coverage is next....

Drive on.....(shop till we ....get coverage)

Dolly,

Blue Sky is not gone yet but will be if they don't find another underwriter. In talking to my agent yesterday he wasn't hopeful but said anyone presently covered would continue to be so until the end of their policy year.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Hmmm, if we are scattered across many companies, none of them has enough "units" to make it worth while. If we all go to ONE company, then there's no competition and they charge more.

But if that company doesn't do business in Tenn than Carl is out. If they don't do business in SD then myself and others are out.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jim,

Going to hijack my own thread a bit and go off subject. If I can't find reasonable coverage at a reasonable price then I have no choice but to sell my truck and go to a Class A, B, C or back to a smaller p/u. If this is going to become a trend to moving all of MDTs and HDTs to "commercial" coverage (which was alluded to by the Blue Sky agent) what value would our trucks have on the "For Sale" market? Little value in my opinion unless the racers and horse people would be interested. Now I suspect those folks are not carrying "commercial" coverage so the number of units to be insured has to be fairly substantial and they may raise a rukus also.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Less than mainstream vehicle insurance markets can be a fickle market indeed.

In mid 80s many aerospace insurance markets simply evaporated overnight....it can and does happen to small markets....now it IS HAPPEN ING to the huge health insurance markets.....

I have flown very dangerous flights without any insurance....but....I was young and invincible back then..

Drive on...(not invincible...today)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Strange that Georgia State Farm will cover it as a private truck or motor home and Tennessee State Farm will not.

If we read the Blue Sky Insurance statement below is seem that from state to state Nothing IS standard so they seem to not offer any standard products for any state(s). Every state is CUSTOM so everything is....."strange"......

Not all coverages are available in all states. Coverage descriptions are just summary descriptions of the coverage; they are not intended to replace the policy that is provided to you. Coverages, limits and vehicle eligibility can be different from state to state.

Drive on.......(Insurance......."strange"......HDT Insurance......really "strange".....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Strange that Georgia State Farm will cover it as a private truck or motor home and Tennessee State Farm will not.

David,

Wife corrected me. She says when she checked with State Farm two years ago they were more expensive not they wouldn't cover us. My mistake, sorry. Good thing we have wives to tell us we're wrong. Gonna check with them again next month.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl,

You could always move to Georgia. :)

State Farm wasn't going to cover our Freightliner at first until I mentioned that all of the other vehicles, home and business might have to find another carrier. Amazingly enough, they found an area that would cover our truck as a private truck. With the KW having a motorhome registration, they would cover it either way. The local Farm Bureau might also be a possible solution.

And yes, my wife often reminds that I am wrong and I agree with her.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I would really like to privately insure my MDT camper (Mitsubishi Fuso titled as an RV) but it has been a real struggle. I currently insure it through my business, but that makes travel into Mexico, etc challenging.

From my experience, for 99.9% of agents if they can't run your VIN and come back with an easy answer they don't have a lot of interest.

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

From my experience, for 99.9% of agents if they can't run your VIN and come back with an easy answer they don't have a lot of interest.

Agreed. Also I'm finding it hard to find someone who really knows what an HDT conversion really is, so first answer is we don't insure that. Awaiting quotes from Miller, Farm and City, and will try State Farm again. At least with State Farm my agent is in town and I may just pull up in their parking lot so they understand.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Less than mainstream vehicle insurance markets can be a fickle market indeed.

In mid 80s many aerospace insurance markets simply evaporated overnight....it can and does happen to small markets....now it IS HAPPEN ING to the huge health insurance markets.....

I have flown very dangerous flights without any insurance....but....I was young and invincible back then..

Drive on...(not invincible...today)

Twin States is our agent in Florida. They contacted Progressive for us and insured ours as a MH. Their words, Texas says it is a MH we insure it as MH. Cost us 1,018.00 yearly. That will likely go up due to 2 recent accidents. This is higher than some others. Jessica is my agent at Twin Peaks Ins Agency.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I live in Tennessee but I've been using Thum Insurance in Grand Rapids, Michigan as my agent to find RV insurance. Thum came recommended by a local MDT/HDT new truck dealer. Thum first found the best coverage and price for me at National General. I stayed with National General a few years then Thum recommended Blue Sky. Blue Sky offered the same coverage for a bit less cost. Just got a notice from Thum and Blue Sky that Blue Sky will not renew my current policy after the term ends in late March. Thum Insurance is looking for replacement insurance, but no word yet.

In addition to Thum working on my behalf, I've been trying to get quotes from some companies on-line this weekend. Most on-line applications, like Good Sam, don't have the option to select Freightliner, Volvo trucks, or other MDT/HDT trucks, nor do they recognize the VIN, so I can't complete the application. It looks like I'll be on the phone next week, shopping for insurance.

2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
2015 Keystone Raptor 412-TS
Lots of motorcycles and toys

Murfreesboro, TN.

I live in Tennessee but I've been using Thum Insurance in Grand Rapids, Michigan as my agent to find RV insurance. Thum came recommended by a local MDT/HDT new truck dealer. Thum first found the best coverage and price for me at National General. I stayed with National General a few years then Thum recommended Blue Sky. Blue Sky offered the same coverage for a bit less cost. Just got a notice from Thum and Blue Sky that Blue Sky will not renew my current policy after the term ends in late March. Thum Insurance is looking for replacement insurance, but no word yet.

In addition to Thum working on my behalf, I've been trying to get quotes from some companies on-line this weekend. Most on-line applications, like Good Sam, don't have the option to select Freightliner, Volvo trucks, or other MDT/HDT trucks, nor do they recognize the VIN, so I can't complete the application. It looks like I'll be on the phone next week, shopping for insurance.

Could you please let me know what you find. Either post on this thread or ecrcarl@gmail.com. Thanks.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I had an agent from Good Sam call me last week. They matched Allied Insurance with same coverage for less money for Truck, trailer, smart car, and bike. He was very knowledgible with my needs for South Dakota.

This is who I talked to:

Shamsuddeen Shahid

Sales Agent

800 Superior Ave.

Cleveland, Ohio 44114

Phone: 216-802-3856

Shamsuddeen.shahid@ngic.com

2009 Volvo 780 with Herrin Hauler Bed
2015 Continental Coach
2017 Smart Car Prime

I had an agent from Good Sam call me last week. They matched Allied Insurance with same coverage for less money for Truck, trailer, smart car, and bike. He was very knowledgible with my needs for South Dakota.

This is who I talked to:

Shamsuddeen Shahid

Sales Agent

800 Superior Ave.

Cleveland, Ohio 44114

Phone: 216-802-3856

Shamsuddeen.shahid@ngic.com

Thanks Ken. How are you guys doing? Was so nice to meet up with you at the National.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Update 2/13/2017 - I received a new policy offering from Thum Insurance and National Interstate. It's the same coverage I had with Blue Sky but more than $500 higher per year. For the truck and trailer it's $1,856 a year.

This RVing addiction is getting expensive. Some of our favorite RV parks are $50+ a night and now insurance may be $500 more per year. I may have to get a two man pup tent and head out in the Smart car... :D

2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
2015 Keystone Raptor 412-TS
Lots of motorcycles and toys

Murfreesboro, TN.

I read all these insurance posts with envy. Here in the beautiful state of Ky, we seem to have a choice of 1, (count 'em, 1) insurance provider, regardless of who sells the policy. Hello Progressive. Our policy is placed with Farm & City, but it is a Progressive policy. State Farm, Farmers, etc do not sell non-commercial HDT policies here, period. This includes all of the suggestions in the Resource guide as well. Something in KY statutes I suppose.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

All We have our insurance through State Farm here in Va and the 98 610 Volvo is titled as a M/H and it's been insured through them for 6 years. When I applied for the policy I took them pictures of the truck and a copy of the M/H title and in 3 days I had a approval for insurance. At that time I didn't own the truck I just wanted to make sure I could get insurance before we bought it. We haven't had any claims so maybe we are flying under the radar. The 5er was and is insured through National General but we did have a total claim on the 2015 5er but as of yet no policy increase. i expect to see a increase on the next renewal. It cost me a $250 Deductible for the new 2017 43' Mesa Ridge. Pat

The Old Sailor

All We have our insurance through State Farm here in Va and the 98 610 Volvo is titled as a M/H and it's been insured through them for 6 years. When I applied for the policy I took them pictures of the truck and a copy of the M/H title and in 3 days I had a approval for insurance. At that time I didn't own the truck I just wanted to make sure I could get insurance before we bought it. We haven't had any claims so maybe we are flying under the radar. Pat

The Old Sailor

That's pretty much what I did. I took them a picture so there would be no misunderstanding and was told yes, they will insure it. That is in Minnesota, so your answer may be different.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Hi Everybody,

I am also interested in this subject of insurance coverage. Carl, can you post your results to this thread once you find out what you where hoping to find. I think most people will be interested in what you found, including me. I am also looking for coverage for my truck.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Hi Everybody,

I am also interested in this subject of insurance coverage. Carl, can you post your results to this thread once you find out what you where hoping to find. I think most people will be interested in what you found, including me. I am also looking for coverage for my truck.

Al

Al,

Will do. Got one quote already back from Farm and City with Progressive for truck and trailer. Is about $1800/year. I am questioning though if this is a "cash value" or "agreed value" especially for the truck. If "cash value", I need to know how they will determine that, since NADA, Kelly BB, or whatever they use would just show a 2006 Volvo semi-truck without the added value of the bed and hitch etc. It may be that I have to get an independent appraiser to guarantee a value before I purchase a policy. Waiting on State Farm, Miller, and couple others. Word to the wise, most policies are "cash value".

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I may be lucky and glad, that I own the Kodiak. Rated at 26,000 lbs so under commercial weight. Plus I can put my vin in any insurance site. And it shows my truck as a Pickup/MTD. So it may be worth adding to it. And not looking at a bigger unit for now.

But there has to be a way to get someone to de-class the class 8 to a lower size? Like my Kodiak, before the upfitter did there work. It was rated for a lot more. Rear axle is 19,500 lbs by its self. But rated just a little more then a 3500 pickup.

Pete

event.png

Archived