Good Sam Insurance Agency

SuiteSuccess

Just got a flyer from Good Sam about their rollout of an agency to assist in RV insurance. Some of their carriers are Good Sam Vehicle Insurance Plan, Safeco, Allied, National Interstate, Foremost, and Blue Sky. My insurance is presently with Blue Sky. Anyone have experience with this rollout or opinions as to its advantages/disadvantages? And is it worth a check?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

We signed up again this month with Blue Sky. However our agent said unless Blue Sky finds a new underwriter, they will not cover HDT's next year. Blue Sky is looking for an underwriter to continue with HDT's but as of now they do not have one.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

We signed up again this month with Blue Sky. However our agent said unless Blue Sky finds a new underwriter, they will not cover HDT's next year. Blue Sky is looking for an underwriter to continue with HDT's but as of now they do not have one.

Rick,

That's why I posted this. Seems like we might have an "all in one" shop to help us find coverage. I admit since I've been with Blue Sky I haven't looked elsewhere. The Resource Guide lists several agents that others have dealt with and was wanting to see if anyone had experience with Good Sam since I may be shopping.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Rick,

That's why I posted this. Seems like we might have an "all in one" shop to help us find coverage. I admit since I've been with Blue Sky I haven't looked elsewhere. The Resource Guide lists several agents that others have dealt with and was wanting to see if anyone had experience with Good Sam since I may be shopping.

Carl, I'm with you. I never looked at anyone else besides BS. We had one tow bill which was handled so well they would of had to double my rate before I changed. I guess I'm hoping they find an underwriter in the next few months.

You are correct in starting this thread, maybe we can all find a solution together.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Carl, I'm with you. I never looked at anyone else besides BS. We had one tow bill which was handled so well they would of had to double my rate before I changed. I guess I'm hoping they find an underwriter in the next few months.

You are correct in starting this thread, maybe we can all find a solution together.

I agree and they went out of there way. Last fall when we had to have the Kodiak hauled in. They worked at it, some would have I'm sure not have taken the steps they did. Had a guy coming, and agent called to let us know. Then 10 minutes later called back to let us know that one would not be there. They even called me that evening. To be sure we made it home and everything went well.

I did have a family member come pull our 5th wheel home for us. And my wife was behind me in her pickup and our boat. So she rode home with herh cousin that pulled our camper. And I followed the rollback to the shop. :unsure: Not a good site when you see the same size truck come to load yours up to haul in.

unnamed%202.jpg

event.png

Okay, just spoke to Blue Sky and they will honor policies until renewal date, in my case July. After that time unless they find another underwriter, probably will not be renewed, but did say they are writing with Foremost and Progressive. Supposed to call me back with more info today or tomorrow and I will post. Going to give Good Sams a call this afternoon and feel them out.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Escapees already have a broker to shop multiple companies. Miller Insurance.

Thanks. Just got off the phone from Good Sams. They will not cover an HDT conversion so they are out as a source. Interesting in talking to the agent, she informed me they also represent Blue Sky and that Blue Sky is going out of business and will not be renewing any policies at expiration. So Rick, we need to be looking. Will try Miller. Any other suggestions from anyone without wading through all the old insurance posts. On edit would add that I had a discussion with the agent why they would not cover an HDT recognized and registered as a Motorhome but would cover Class A's and bus conversions. She said just our policy, hmm. Sounds like alot of what I've heard lately, no rhyme or reason, just policy.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Farmers?

We are with BS as well and will be good until November. After that, I guess we need to shop.

Sounds like it Jim. Now it is possible that Good Sams was just feeding me a line and that Blue Sky may find another underwriter. Again, I'm supposed to get a call from Blue Sky and I will ask them point blank whether they are leaving the business. Will update when info is available. BTW Farmers insurance with whom?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Sounds like it Jim. Now it is possible that Good Sams was just feeding me a line and that Blue Sky may find another underwriter. Again, I'm supposed to get a call from Blue Sky and I will ask them point blank whether they are leaving the business. Will update when info is available. BTW Farmers insurance with whom?

Farmers ins advertises that they insure anything and everything. I would have to find a broker as well. Some of the insurance issues are that they are regulated by state.

Blue Sky may have pulled out of Tenn, but not SD. With everything based upon a zip code, everyone here on the forum could have a different rate, and insurer.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Talked to higher up at Blue Sky. They are still trying to find an underwriter but he wasn't real hopeful. Asked about Progressive and Foremost and he said they aren't writing HDT/MDT except as commercial vehicles. I contacted Miller and Farm and City to get some quotes. Not sure I believe the Progressive thing though.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl,

We are using State Farm in Georgia and they insured my Freightliner as a private truck and the new Kenworth as a private truck. I asked them about covering Kenworth as a motor home and they didn't have a problem with that either. Never did change it though as the cost differential was exactly $1 between the two policies on it.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Carl,

We are using State Farm in Georgia and they insured my Freightliner as a private truck and the new Kenworth as a private truck. I asked them about covering Kenworth as a motor home and they didn't have a problem with that either. Never did change it though as the cost differential was exactly $1 between the two policies on it.

David,

Tried through State Farm here and they wouldn't do it even though we have all our insurance with them. Maybe someone could explain why since I don't think risk in Tennessee is worse than Georgia.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Talked to higher up at Blue Sky. They are still trying to find an underwriter but he wasn't real hopeful. Asked about Progressive and Foremost and he said they aren't writing HDT/MDT except as commercial vehicles. I contacted Miller and Farm and City to get some quotes. Not sure I believe the Progressive thing though.

Progressive has a separate group that insures HDTs. My regular agent can't do it, but some others can. I used Lazydays RV in Florida.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Thanks. Just got off the phone from Good Sams. They will not cover an HDT conversion so they are out as a source. Interesting in talking to the agent, she informed me they also represent Blue Sky and that Blue Sky is going out of business and will not be renewing any policies at expiration. So Rick, we need to be looking. Will try Miller. Any other suggestions from anyone without wading through all the old insurance posts. On edit would add that I had a discussion with the agent why they would not cover an HDT recognized and registered as a Motorhome but would cover Class A's and bus conversions. She said just our policy, hmm. Sounds like alot of what I've heard lately, no rhyme or reason, just policy.

My HDT and RV is insured with Natioal General which was done through GS. We have been with them for 3 years and have been pleased with the price, but so far no claims.

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

David,

Tried through State Farm here and they wouldn't do it even though we have all our insurance with them. Maybe someone could explain why since I don't think risk in Tennessee is worse than Georgia.

I checked with my State Farm agent and was told that she needed to check with the underwriter. She got back to me and said it would be no problem and it didn't matter how many axles were under it AS LONG AS it was titled as a motorhome.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

I checked with my State Farm agent and was told that she needed to check with the underwriter. She got back to me and said it would be no problem and it didn't matter how many axles were under it AS LONG AS it was titled as a motorhome.

May try again.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Mntom, on 10 Feb 2017 - 10:56 PM, said:snapback.png

May try again.

Hi Carl,

Maybe try a different agent. A different agent might have some different way of doing the search for info for you. My truck is also insured in Ohio with State Farm. My agent used the word ' Toter ' for her search for info for the truck.

Best of luck,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

My HDT and RV is insured with Natioal General which was done through GS. We have been with them for 3 years and have been pleased with the price, but so far no claims.

Below is the boilerplate disclaimer from Blue Sky and it has less to do with risk ratings than it has to do with individual state insurance laws.

Insurance laws are in a constant state of change and so insurance companies react to change with leaving a market that does not fit their business model.

A few years our HDT was covered by Good Sam / National but they reacted to some change in Oregon insurance regulations so they declined to NOT insure Oregon HDT RV's .........poof they were gone.... We found good coverage with Blue Sky........now it appears Blue Sky will soon do the poof they are gone act as well.....

I have stated here that the HDT RV market is too tiny to matter and to make things even worse the few HDT RV's are insured helter-skelter with several companies and so no company has enough numbers of HDT RV policies in force to be a profit factor in the overall business model.

Big5er has indicated that someday DOT will take a more active roll in regulating HDT RV's...... but insurance companies can kill the HDT RV overnight by deciding to just leave the market ........poof they are gone......we are just too tiny to matter.....

I had hope that a FORMAL HDT RV club could be formed and then perhaps the "group" numbers could be cohesive enough to retain a "preferred-insurance-provider(s).......but the appetite to form a HDT club seems to hit a stone wall and no other RV club seems interested in bringing HDT's in out of the cold.........

Sky seems to be getting less blue these days...

Drive on.........(No insurance....No HDT....)

Not all coverages are available in all states. Coverage descriptions are just summary descriptions of the coverage; they are not intended to replace the policy that is provided to you. Coverages, limits and vehicle eligibility can be different from state to state.

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Hmmm, if we are scattered across many companies, none of them has enough "units" to make it worth while. If we all go to ONE company, then there's no competition and they charge more.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Hmmm, if we are scattered across many companies, none of them has enough "units" to make it worth while. If we all go to ONE company, then there's no competition and they charge more.

Rick it is unlikely that One company could provide nationwide policy issues so a club might have a few providers.....

IF Blue Sky is gone I have some shopping to do for s new insurance company.....

Seems like a lot of folks on the forum that have Blue Sky will be shopping for a new insurance company soon.....

As far as price.....insurance first then price and coverage is next....

Drive on.....(shop till we ....get coverage)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Sometimes when I deal with companies I just like to ask why? to get some response other than the scripted answers. When talking with Good Sams, the lady asked if the Volvo was a bus conversion. No, but it met all the Tennesse state and federal guidelines to be registered as a Motorhome which it is. Well they would cover a bus conversion as a motorhome. I asked why? since my Volvo met all the same criteria and was a motorhome. "Well it's just policy we don't cover semi trucks" Me: Why? Since I'm lighter than a bus, don't camp in my truck (have a trailer for that) and have less items to be covered and probably cheaper than most bus conversions (think Eagles or Prevost). "Well it's just policy!" That pretty much ended any meaningful discussion. " May just have to call back and move up the food chain a bit since the "Good Sam Insurance Agency" is advertising they represent multiple companies including Progressive and others and several of you have Good Sam and/or Progressive coverage so the policy of not covering HDT's is obviously not necessarily true. Just love to stir the pot sometimes since I'm retired.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived