RVing with cancer

PAylor

Hi all,

My hubby and I have had so many exciting adventures over the past 8 years in our RV; national parks, Alaska, Canada, family and friends.

He was just diagnosed with myloplastic syndrome (MDS), a kind of leukemia. The only cure is bone marrow transplant. He is asymptomatic and very healthy now. His treatment plan is weekly shots and observation. We will reassess his health in June.

If he stays stable I would like to do some travel. This will involve coordinating doctors on our travels to give him his weekly shots. Also this disease can turns very quickly so it may require we both have to fly home and leave the RV.

I'm sure there are other people who have had health problems and continue to travel. I would love to hear experiences, suggestions and resources.

Also would love to know what our.options are if we do have to leave the RV in terms of storage and transport.

I think this is emotionally important for both of us. We love traveling.

Most modern RV parks do have a storage area and typically the park management is cooperative with customers who have medical issues. While he condition wasn't quite as challenging as his, Pam did have major medical issues while we were fulltime for 12 years and that was what took us off of fulltime and back to part-time. We managed things by planning our travels to route back to her primary doctors on schedule. We were fortunate to have never had to fly back, but the possibility was always with us.

On the transplant situation, I have a sister-in-law who went through that and while it meant a long period of isolation, she is now in complete remission and back to a normal lifestyle. Wishing you the very best!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Good Sam offers a service that will help with the transportation of your rig should there be a medical emergency. I don't know the details offhand but a Google search should help with that. As I recall its a fairly modest fee to sign up. Good Luck.

So sorry to learn of his health issues. I also went through cancer but we just stayed in one place until it was finished. Since Pete requires once a week injections I would imagine these could be given as you travel. It will take some planning and help from your present physician as to where he can have these done. Since you both enjoy traveling so much I hope you can continue as it will keep your spirits up. Best of luck to you!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Good Sam offers a service that will help with the transportation of your rig should there be a medical emergency. I don't know the details offhand but a Google search should help with that. As I recall its a fairly modest fee to sign up. Good Luck.

Sky-Med is also a Medical Evacuation Service. I know there is a 30 day (or so) pre-condition wait period, but it might be worthwhile for you.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Your doctor may be able to help but many areas require a local doctor to oversee treatments. We move between a couple of areas but stay for extended time. We use local doctors in each area and they send notes back and forth. However, the local doctor oversees the treatment at each location and each makes slight adjustments. Our schedule is planned at least a month in advance so we can see the doctor as required before treatment begins in the new area.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Archived