5 speed manual in a new smart

heavyduty

Has anyone had any experience with the 5 speed manual in a new smart. Wanting to tow one four down for a while then in near future put it on the back of HDT. It looks like that is my only option for a 2017. I watched jacks video about driving the new smarts up the ramps I assume you would be able to do that with a standard

The people at Three Point Motors in Victoria told me that would not be an issue. Also loading/winching an automatic up a ramp with out the engine running was not a problem. However you would not have the power steering to help with wheel adjustments as you load.

I have not heard of a standard showing up yet.

TPM is the foremost authority on Smarts in our area.

Here is a link to page I found a while back from the smart car forum regarding towing the 453. Since I'm on the computer I copied and pasted the text from what they say will be included in the owner's manual. If you open the PDF file on that page you get all the graphics too. I couldn't get it to do them.
453 Official Flat-Tow Instructions
Good news everyone, we received official approval and instructions for 453 flat-towing. From an official bulletin today:

"We are excited to confirm the approval of MY2016 and MY2017 smart fortwo flat-towing capabilities. Model Year 2016 and 2017 smart fortwo ICE coupes and cabrios equipped with the twinamic Dual-Clutch Automatic Transmission may be flat-towed behind other vehicles such as Recreational Vehicles, moving trucks, etc. This approval applies to all Model Year 2016 and 2017 smart fortwo ICE coupes and cabrios with the DCT transmission, regardless of production date. Updates to the owner’s manuals are in development.

DISCLAIMER: MY2016 and MY2017 smart fortwo models with the standard 5-speed manual transmission and smart electric coupes and cabrios are not approved for flat-towing."
Flat-towing Guide
Technical instruction for DCT C/A453
>>
‡ Flat towing
Before towing your smart fortwo, follow these simple instructions in this order
Flat towing is when all wheels of the vehicle are on the ground during tow.
For vehicles that will be flat towed over long distances, observe the following recommendations:
Preparing the vehicle: Contact an authorized smart center for information on recommended tow
bar equipment and installing a matching on/off switch on the battery terminal.
Do not flat tow the vehicle with the front axle raised. Doing so may cause serious damage to the
brake system which is not covered by the smart Limited Warranty.
Failure to follow the recommendations for flat towing can cause damage to your vehicle:
Not following the battery disconnect procedure in the proper sequence may result in data loss in the
vehicle’s control units.
Not disconnecting the battery and leaving the key in starter switch position 1 (ignition on) my result in:
The ESP being activated. Active braking action through the ESP ® may seriously damage the brake system which is not covered by the
smart Limited Warranty.
In a discharged battery
‡ Preparing for flat towing
Before towing your smart fortwo, follow these simple instructions in this order:
Engage the parking brake.
Make sure the ignition is switched on.
Depress the brake pedal and keep it pressed.
Move the gear selector lever to manual shifting lane.
Move the gear selector lever to the downshifting position and hold it.
Gearbox engages defined gears for dinghy towing.
Wait approximately 30 seconds until the 6. gear is displayed in the instrument cluster.
Release the gear selector lever and leave it in the manual shifting lane.
Release the brake pedal.
Confirm that ‘6’ gear is still shown in the instrument cluster.
Switch off the ignition.
Wait approximately 10 seconds.
Leave the key in the starter switch.
Turn the battery off using the previously installed battery switch or disconnect battery.
Release the parking brake.
‡ After flat towing
Exiting flat tow mode
Engage the parking brake.
Turn the battery on using the previously installed battery switch or reconnect battery.
Depress the brake pedal and keep it pressed.
Switch on the ignition.
Move the gear sector lever to park position P.
Ensure ‘P’ is shown in the instrument cluster.
Release the brake pedal.
Switch off the ignition and remove the key from the starter switch.
Lock the doors.

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

Thanks for that info buscrusher!

You're welcome, Sir! I too had guessed that the 5-speed manual trans model would be the most likely candidate for a flat tow, but that notification totally upended all my expectations!

Doug

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

Archived