Adding tail lights to truck

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am in the planning stage of adding tail lights to the back of the truck. My question is. How would you do it ? Would you tap into the factory harness ? Or would you remove the factory harness that has the lights attached to it, then build a harness for the new lights. The truck does have a Jackalopee in it. I was thinking about using the Jackalopee to help make the connections. I also have terminal blocks in the truck that help with the connections to the Jackalopee. Or is there some other way of doing it ? I would like to use LED's for the tail lights.

All input is welcomed,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I built harness from OEM harness when I removed factory lights. But I have an older Volvo. No issues. I added 10 led lights in place of 2 bulb type.

Newer trucks have to watch the loads or the computer may squalk. Others with newer will chime in

This is just fior rear truck lights. Nothing to do with trailer lights.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Al,

Not stumping for David Dixon, but he has a ready made harness that would save a lot of headaches and is basically plug and play. Cost might be a bit more than trying to build it yourself but not much. Plugs into the truck plug already in place. BTW after he sat in an easy chair after the ECR and supervised me butt splicing and heat shrinking connections for three hours under the truck, he came up with the plug and play.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Al,

Not stumping for David Dixon, but he has a ready made harness that would save a lot of headaches and is basically plug and play. Cost might be a bit more than trying to build it yourself but not much. Plugs into the truck plug already in place. BTW after he sat in an easy chair after the ECR and supervised me butt splicing and heat shrinking connections for three hours under the truck, he came up with the plug and play.

Hi Carl,

I remember when you were working on the rear lights of your truck. The is one reason why I am asking the questions. I do not want to go thru what you did. I thought I heard that David come up with a harness to help with the rear lights. Thank you for the reminder. I should send David an e-mail and see what he has for the rear of the truck. I was hoping that David might see this thread.

Any more ideas out there ?

Al

I removed the four pin connector from the rear lights and built my own harness for three lights per side I think it took me about 20 minutes to cut, crimp, and shrink tube everything. I still need to put it all in a plastic tube for protection from the elements.

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

I removed the four pin connector from the rear lights and built my own harness for three lights per side I think it took me about 20 minutes to cut, crimp, and shrink tube everything. I still need to put it all in a plastic tube for protection from the elements.

After you removed the four pin connector with the lights, what did you use for a connector to the truck harness ? Did you buy another four pin connector so you could start building your own harness ?

Thanks for any help,

Al

After you removed the four pin connector with the lights, what did you use for a connector to the truck harness ? Did you buy another four pin connector so you could start building your own harness ?

Thanks for any help,

Al

The four pin that was on the original square light was sonic welded to the light so I cut them off with a hack saw blade and then used them on the end of the wiring harness I built. That way I could plug them into the original wire harness once I extended the frame, I went from two rear lights to six.

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

Al,

I can't picture the back of your truck right now (senior moment already??? I'm in trouble...), but if you're looking to take care of all of the lights (stop, tail, turn, clearance, ID, reverse, and side markers), that's what the harness is designed to do out of the box. It connects to the 5-pin Metri-Pack connector along the left frame rail.

Those harnesses are built one-at-a-time though, so if that's not what you need, let me know. There are also a few links on the ECR website that kind of take the form of a shopping list, along with the presentation from the rallies. Let me know how I can help!

David

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Al,

I can't picture the back of your truck right now (senior moment already??? I'm in trouble...), but if you're looking to take care of all of the lights (stop, tail, turn, clearance, ID, reverse, and side markers), that's what the harness is designed to do out of the box. It connects to the 5-pin Metri-Pack connector along the left frame rail.

Those harnesses are built one-at-a-time though, so if that's not what you need, let me know. There are also a few links on the ECR website that kind of take the form of a shopping list, along with the presentation from the rallies. Let me know how I can help!

David

Hi David,

The plan is to take care of all the lights. I have also sent you a e-mail asking about the wiring harness. I will look at the ECR website and see what I can find about the wiring harness. I will get back to you later after I do some reading on the ECR site.

It looks like I got the wrong e-mail address at first.

Thank you again for your offer of help,

Al

Al,

David

Hi David,

I looked over the info on the ECR web site. My question to you is, what kind of information do you need to know from me to get lights on the back of the truck ?

Thank you again for your help,

Al

Al -- just sent you an e-mail. Basically, what's needed is what lights you're going to use (to get you the right connectors) and where you plan to put them (to make sure wire lengths are appropriate).

David

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Al -- just sent you an e-mail. Basically, what's needed is what lights you're going to use (to get you the right connectors) and where you plan to put them (to make sure wire lengths are appropriate).

David

Hi David,

I have replied to your e-mail.

Al

• 1 year later...
On February 6, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Nuke-E said:

David

Hi folks, I'm hoping to revive this thread.  I will be extending my VNL frame for a hitch, and will move the 3 lamps to a mudflap bar or flatbed.  If I add lamps for visibility will I cause a LCM error?  I assume a minimum 4 tail/turn lamps total and 2 reverse lamps total.  I might go with more tail/turn lamps depending on real estate.

i saw a thread recently about pre-wired relays available somewhere, will I need these to prevent the error?

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

On 2/4/2017 at 12:02 PM, alan0043 said:

I haven’t found the links yet, just the presentation with a list of light requirements. 

https://eastcoasthdtrally.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Bed-Lighting-Presentation-ECR-2016.pdf

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Hi Sculptor,

I got my rear lights from David of Deep Space Lighting. All of my rear lights are LED. I plugged in David's wiring harness and the lights with no programming needed. You could say, it's plug and play. The truck had no problems with the LED's. Maybe send David a p/m. I haven't seen to many post from David in the last few months. He is a good guy and always willing to help. I was glad I bought my wiring harness from him. It made life easier for me.

You luck. I don't know to much about wiring or electrical stuff.
Al

18 minutes ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Sculptor,

I got my rear lights from David of Deep Space Lighting. All of my rear lights are LED. I plugged in David's wiring harness and the lights with no programming needed. You could say, it's plug and play. The truck had no problems with the LED's. Maybe send David a p/m. I haven't seen to many post from David in the last few months. He is a good guy and always willing to help. I was glad I bought my wiring harness from him. It made life easier for me.

You luck. I don't know to much about wiring or electrical stuff.
Al

Thanks Alan, I agree Dave is a good guy.  I hoped he would chime in with the correct link to the ECR site he referenced.  I didn't understand the lights chosen would be included with the wiring harness.  When I finally get my flatbed I will decide what to buy.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

1 hour ago, Sculptor said:

Thanks Alan, I agree Dave is a good guy.  I hoped he would chime in with the correct link to the ECR site he referenced.  I didn't understand the lights chosen would be included with the wiring harness.  When I finally get my flatbed I will decide what to buy.

Hi Sculptor,

The lights where not included with the wiring harness I bought. The bought the lights thru David. I had him spec out what lights where needed. I hope I didn't cause any confusion about the lights.

Al

Slight misunderstanding.  Not included but still ordered thu Dave then.  When I looked at the ECR site, I thought I would have to decide on a style and brand and type of connector, then coordinate with Dave to order the harness separately from the lights.  To make sure I understand correctly I will get in touch with him.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

1 hour ago, Sculptor said:

Slight misunderstanding.  Not included but still ordered thu Dave then.  When I looked at the ECR site, I thought I would have to decide on a style and brand and type of connector, then coordinate with Dave to order the harness separately from the lights.  To make sure I understand correctly I will get in touch with him.

P/M sent.

Archived