Newbies considering Rockwood Mini Lite 2304...suggestions?

jackconn55

First-time poster and about to enter the world of RV'ing. Looking for suggestions, ideas and comments. Background: early '60's, wife and I both recently retired, live in NC, planning 3 month trip west in early summer which will hopefully be the first of many. Bought 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel last year and have taken several long trips to test comfort, ride, etc. Love the Jeep! 7400 lb towing capacity, 740 lb hitch capacity. I've installed an electronic brake controller but haven't used it yet. 95% of our travel will be the 2 of us and our 2 black lab mutts.

For various reasons, have settled on a travel trailer, and the Rockwood Mini Lite 2304 seems to have some great features, generally good reviews and a nearby dealer with full service (also the Airstream dealer). While the slide-outs add space, many suggest the added weight and complexity are not worth it and, for our situation, we agree. Since we're planning to keep this for many years, we're leaning toward buying new in spite of the apparently steep depreciation when we drive it off the lot. Also have heard that the factory warranty on most/all brands is not transferrable (true for Rockwood) so it's either new, no warranty or after-market warranty.

We plan on attending the big RV show in late Feb for ideas. We're also renting a 2015 24' KZ Sportsmen for a few days to get a feel for towing and the "routine" of traveling - knowing it's an entirely different brand but just for testing the concept. We'll buy in March and pack/upfit in prep for leaving in late April or early May.

I'll continue to scan these and other forums for ideas and opinions. Specifically looking for any comments about the Mini Lite 2304 before we buy; or other thoughts! Thanks!!

First let me welcome you to the Escapee forums! We are here to help and will do the best that we are able.

First-time poster and about to enter the world of RV'ing. Looking for suggestions, ideas and comments. Background: early '60's, wife and I both recently retired, live in NC, planning 3 month trip west in early summer which will hopefully be the first of many. Bought 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel last year and have taken several long trips to test comfort, ride, etc. Love the Jeep! 7400 lb towing capacity, 740 lb hitch capacity. I've installed an electronic brake controller but haven't used it yet. 95% of our travel will be the 2 of us and our 2 black lab mutts.

It sounds like you are very similar to Pam & I, although we only have one elderly dog. We were part-time for many years, then spent 12 years as fulltimers, and we are now back in the part-time family once more. We too travel with an ultra-light travel trailer.

For various reasons, have settled on a travel trailer, and the Rockwood Mini Lite 2304

As I look at the chosen RV it does seem to have a very workable floor plan for use in the manner that you have in mind. Ours is similar but our travel trailer is slightly shorter than yours and has no slide. I think that if we had anticipated being on the road as long as we sometimes are, we might well have bought something more in line with yours. Ours is only 19' inside length and we have made trips as long as 5 months in it quite successfully so I see no reason why you can not do the same with this choice. Your GVWR is well under the max for your tow vehicle and the pair should work out well.

As to new, versus used, I really don't buy into the "used is better" theory, based upon many years of having bought more than one RV in each group. If you have a responsible dealer what issues you may have with a new warranty will be taken care of and no used RV that I have seen has ever been completely trouble free. All RVs require maintenance and repairs at times and I believe that you are taking a sound approach and see no reason why it won't be the best for the two of you!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Welcome to the Escapees forum!!!

When we bought our most recent travel trailers, we considered towing with an SUV. Some issues that I identified were the importance of the tow vehicle wheelbase to the length of the trailer as related to the ease and comfort of towing. The closer the weight of the trailer is to the weight of the tow vehicle, the greater the chance that the trailer can influence the track of the tow vehicle (often referred to as sway or the tail wagging the dog). I suggest you do some research into the various types and brands of sway control hitches. If there is an owner's group for the trailers you are looking at, I suggest you investigate what tow vehicles they are using. The rear slide travel trailers (which give more space for their towing length) were popular with SUV owners belonging to the Rvision/Monaco owner's group, which has pretty much withered away with the demise of the brand. Not sure who makes rear slide models at this time.

Another issue that was almost universal in the mid-size SUV's we looked at was that the GVWR of the SUV loaded with the passengers, fuel, gear that we would be carrying, and the tongue weight of the trailer (including the hitch device) was exceeded by trailers well below the max towing rating of the SUV.

Again, Welcome to the Escapees Forum and good luck with your search for the right trailer for you!!

Thanks for the replies...keep 'em coming please!

Kirk - Fun that you are what sounds like about 15 years ahead of us on this journey. Time will tell if we jump from PT to FT but we've got various things pulling us into the part-time realm for the foreseeable future. Nice affirmation of my new/used debate - not much of a debate any more - as I'm usually one to let someone else take the new-depreciation hit. (Case in point is our 2014 Jeep.)

trailertraveler - Very good points about weight and geometry. The info on that link is excellent and reinforced my plan to get a good sway bar. Looks like we'll be over their recommendation for wheelbase-to-tow length by several feet, which the blog post said can be handled with a sway bar. I'll add a final weight-check to my pre-trip preparation but think we'll be ok. Since we have the two dogs in the back seat that will help us keep our weight down (well, not necessarily our weight!) but it's good to think about up front. I also don't plan on getting anywhere close to the 7400/740lb capacity of the Jeep. Your post and that link has given me further ammunition with some TT sales guys who have tried to talk us into going bigger and getting closer to the ratings. Not gonna happen.

Kirk - Fun that you are what sounds like about 15 years ahead of us on this journey. Time will tell if we jump from PT to FT but we've got various things pulling us into the part-time realm for the foreseeable future. Nice affirmation of my new/used debate - not much of a debate any more - as I'm usually one to let someone else take the new-depreciation hit. (Case in point is our 2014 Jeep.).

I buy used in many cases as well, but when we went fulltime at age 57, I didn't want to chance buying some other person's headache and by getting new, I knew every item of the RV history. Pam also wanted to start with all new furniture and a bed that had not been slept in. We had a grand total of 2 warranty items repaired and by buying new we ordered ours special order and configured exactly as we wanted it. We bid the spec sheet to 9 dealers over 3 states and so got a very good price and we then kept it for 14 years. If we had it all to do again, there is very little that we would change.

Like you, I have bought many things used including our tow vehicle, a 2003 Dodge 2500, diesel truck that we got from a widowed neighbor last year with 98,000 miles on it. No way would I spend what it would take to get a comparable truck new today!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived