How Do I Drive HDT Commercial Truck Home

Cotreker

You have some options. You could get your own Class B CDL, which will allow you to drive it home legally without a trailer. Your state may also have a non-commercial Class B which should also work. That would be a minimum of two written tests and a driving test using a class B vehicle. Or, you could hire a driver to deliver it to your home, the dealer might even be able to work that into your deal. These would be the safest, legally. Any other options could result in fines and other issues if you are pulled over for any reason.

Dan & Bree

2010 Freightliner Cascadia 125, DD15, 455hp, UltraShift (Yetti, For Sale)

2015 Grand Design Reflection 308BHTS Travel Trailer (For Sale)

I did the initial application and written test for a non-CDL Class A in Illinois, received a permit pending driving test (which actually required a CDL driver with me when operating). Then I flew to Kansas and drove the truck back to the Chicago area alone with no issues.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I just drove mine with a class c. From Houston to Baton Rogue and then back to Livingston TX. That where I got Class A and legal. All this was illegal but no problems. It was already converted, registered and insured though. I was working out of state at the time. That really complicated getting the proper license. With no dot numbers, hitch removed, odds are you won't be stopped. Not saying it couldn't happen.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I will say how I did it. DW and I flew from Sea-Tac one way to Old River Truck in Richland, Ms. We took delivery (in Feb. 2010) and left with the title, bill of sale and other papers, no permits or drivers license endorsements. Traveled south to Breaux Bridge, La. for 2 days. Then to Mission, Tx. for 3 days. Then up through Cortez, Co., Moab, Ut., Salt Lake City, Ut. Boise, Id., Pasco, Wa. and Seattle.

I stopped at ALL open weigh stations. Only in Cortez was I hassled. Was held up 3 hours and had to pay 2 citations...fuels tax and interstate commerce ticket and we were on on our way. Thirty nine weigh stations.

Your results may vary.

J&V with Edina (RIP), the wonder dobie and
Net Proceeds our 2005 Volvo VNL630 256" WB. Focus SVT on the back, in the garage. ET Hitch controlling the articulation. Jackalopee controlling the 'juice'. 2002 Teton 39' Grand Sundance
All still a work in progress.
Photos and comments at http://gallery.ournetproceeds.com

If I purchase a truck out of state and it is currently a commercial HDT how do I legally drive it home? Getting close to finding the right truck.

Thanks,

Questions-

What state is your home state?

Are you registering the truck as a private vehicle/motorhome in your home state?

What are your state rules and regs concerning the above?

If your driver's license in your current state allows you to drive the truck in its final configuration you "Might, Should, Hopefully, Carefully" be ok getting a truck home.

Having your insurance in order when you pick up the truck is also a necessity

If the selling dealer is willing to remove the commercial hitch plate it might help in a roadside explanation in that you didn't buy the truck for commercial purposes.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

It depends on what office you go to in TexS. Most don't know what they are doing so in Alvin I had to take the air brakes test.

Seems a lot of confusion with regulations in Texas concerning rv haulers. That is why wize to go to Livingston

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Keep in mind the driving part of the test has changed recently. Now you no longer take the road test at the local office. Now for Class A or B the road test is administered at a regional location. So it should be more consistent now.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Wow wonder how in the world the Class A motor home guys gets by without air brake Endorsement? I know in Tn, when I had the F800 Ford, It had air brakes. But was registered as a motor-home/Private auto so no endorsement needed. Class c covered it for me.

IF and when we find the right truck. I will hire someone to drive it home. That or come home and get tags and everything for it. Then go back and put my private tags on. With insurance card, and drive it home. Not stopping at any scales. Unless they flag me into one.

Pete

event.png

Archived