Are You Driving A Manual Transmission HDT?

Cotreker

I have found the perfect truck or at least I think so but it has a Eaton 10 speed manual. Low miles, clean, price, nice paint, engine, right year, long w.b. but the transmission. Currently I drive a 6-speed manual F-350 with manual so I am use to the clutch.

Clearly there are more manual transmissions in HDT's than Auto's at least in the pre-2007 year HDT's. Pretty sure I understand the con's;

-Shifting

-Resale

Are you driving a manual HDT? If so tell me about your experience.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

Without going into a long explanation,,,,,Can you drive your current truck with using the clutch for shifting? Can you do it smoothly? If so, you're on your way to being a real truck driver.

The manuals found in semis aren't black magic. They're just transmissions without synchronizers. You have to match the motor speed to the road speed and slip it into gear.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I have a 10 speed Rockwell in my Volvo, as I was a over the road driver back in the day, shifting is no problem for me.

I do like the fact that my old truck has very little electronics on it, no emissions on the M-11 and with a ME Shift, it will always start even in gear :rolleyes: .

As for resale, I don't plan to sell mine anytime soon, so with it's age, a 99, I don't think that will be a big factor.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

My Volvo came with a 13 speed, it did require a little time to get used to some 12 years ago when I got it.

At this point it is completely 2nd nature.

It is reliable beyond most, always obeys, never complains or offers it own opinion on what it should be doing.....

In my view, based on your experience with your current manual transmission experience you should set aside a full day to get good at the 10 speed in the truck you have found.

After a day you will be shifting "ok".

After a month you will be happy.

Buying a PRE-EVEFYTHING truck has many advantages,

Good luck

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

Hewhoknowslittle, on 31 Jan 2017 - 08:07 AM, said:Hewhoknowslittle, on 31 Jan 2017 - 08:07 AM, said:

I have a 10 speed Rockwell in my Volvo, as I was a over the road driver back in the day, shifting is no problem for me.

I do like the fact that my old truck has very little electronics on it, no emissions on the M-11 and with a ME Shift, it will always start even in gear :rolleyes: .

As for resale, I don't plan to sell mine anytime soon, so with it's age, a 99, I don't think that will be a big factor.

Roger

I knew that I had a picture of Rogers first truck somewhere and I finally found it. This was when Roger picked this truck up new and was just starting out as an over the road driver :lol:

Hennis-1940.jpg

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Maybe this is a good place to start if you don't have some experienced person to teach you. The big difference to me was understanding the "clutch brake".

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

I'm currently towing with a 92 Freightliner FLD 120, L-10 and a 9 speed. no issues for me, however, I did drive long haul, although it was 30 years ago, and I upgraded to the FLD from a 2000 F350 with a 6 speed.As others have said, shifting is a non issue once you get the hang of it, and it pays to not be in a hurry.

Love my 10 speed. I had never driven an HDT before buying it. The GearMaster is a must have in my opinion. With that learning to drive the stick has been pretty easy.

2004 Volvo 630, Cummins ISX, Eaton 10 speed (air assist clutch), 3.71 3.07 rear locker, ET jr, 200" WB, GearMaster

2017 Forest River Sierra 372LOK

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

I thought that was Roger's maybe 3rd truck. Didn't he say something about chain drive and solid tires on his first one?

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I have the spare wheel from Roger's first truck, made into a coffee table on my front porch. Wood spokes, steel tire, and sprocket. :P

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I have a truck similar to Rogers- Hewhoknowslittle. 10sp Rockwell no issues with it. It doesn't complain when you slip the clutch a little, in heavy stop and go traffic I just drop it in 2nd or 3rd and let it idle along up hill and down.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I owned CrazyCooters truck with a 13 Speed! Upshifting is easy as a hot knife through warm butter! Downshifting was a little tougher but not too bad. I think he bought one of those shifting computers but I believe he said after a few days didn't need it anymore but I'd recommend getting one.

Mine is a Super 10 and I love. Only touch the clutch when starting out, then float shift up and down. The occasional traffic jam is a dream, just pop it down in first o second and let it idea along.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Love my 10 speed. I had never driven an HDT before buying it. The GearMaster is a must have in my opinion. With that learning to drive the stick has been pretty easy.

Pretty much ditto. I have a 10 speed. Clutch brake was destroyed before I ever got it - but I do just fine without one. I did buy a Gearmaster with the intent of selling it later. But, I've become accustomed to having it even if I only occasionally look at it these days. My biggest issue was a weak left knee and holding the clutch in - it is pretty stiff (70#). I fabricated a pneumatic actuator for the clutch pedal and have no more issues. If I were buying another truck I would not let a manual transmission stop me if all else was what I wanted.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

I have had 2 HDT haulers now, both manual. First was a straight 10 speed and current is super 10. Neither were bad to drive or had a horrible learning curve. Gearmaster will help a lot just because it tells you the range of gears available at a glance. I also like the fact the transmission is simple to have worked on or replaced if needed. I like shifting but to each their own. You will limit potential resale into RV market with manual. With that said if the truck meets everything else you want I would jump on it. There are a lot of trucks out there though so don't get impatient if you have reservations.

Nothing wrong with learning how to shift. Take your time, listen to the motor, don't force anything. You'll get the hang of it in no time. The HDT I am looking at is a 3406e with a 13 speed. I have my class 1 so no big deal.

If you got 10 minutes this guy is worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5RzFtk0B9E&t=507s

This would be a great combo. I like Cat motors but beware the yellow paint is really "gold". If your going to have a manual my personal opinion is the 13 speed is a great option, lots of combos for gearing.

This would be a great combo. I like Cat motors but beware the yellow paint is really "gold". If your going to have a manual my personal opinion is the 13 speed is a great option, lots of combos for gearing.

I have heard they are close to gold haha Luckily my brother in law runs a truck wrecker so hoping if I ever need parts or advice I got him to lean on.

Even when I drove trucks with 18's I almost always ran it as a 13 anyway.

On a side note, how did you guys link your you-tube videos so the video appeared right on the forum? I was only able to get the link to appear. Thanks in advance.

From in the video in the YouTube app - click on the right swish arrow, select copy link, iPad says "success", giggle like a schoolgirl, then paste it in your post.

Then watch it again because that KTA is flippin sweet...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived