Haul #3

lockmup68

Yup, but the domino effect comes in to play here. I raise the hitch, then I cannot drive over the top of it with the Escape ('68 Bronco and '96 Bronco have plenty of clearance), so then the bed needs to be fixed to drive over the raised hitch. If the bed is raised, can I still get to the ramps and the genset? Dominos and mo'money.

An ET has a 3 inch drop built in which you can have just by dumping the air bags in the hitch. Driving over the hitch was a problem in this truck.

Dab%20Dick%205_zpssd8nq1ia.jpg

And that two seater had almost no clearance (3-4"). So we did several things:

Modified the ET so that the air valve could be disabled and air bags dumped ( - 3 inches)

Mounted the ET on the bottom flanges with no offset ( - 4 inches)

Mounted couple of steel plates on top of the rear deck (you can see them) don't remember the thickness of these but that gave us more clearance for the car

Since we lost 4 inches mounting the hitch low we lowered the pinbox on his fifth by that distance.

After all this life was good.

When it comes to wiring I'm with Henry, If someone else has been ahead of me and it looks even a little suspect the garbage can and a good pair of dikes is the best place to start, then a trip to the wire and terminal store for pins, sockets terminal blocks plugs and wire, lots of pretty new colored wire and labels

On Edit If you can obtain a warranty replaced complete main harness out of a late model car they are a great source for color coded wire and plastic plug connectors. just use new pins

2. The hitch height/pin box drop still needs addressing sooner rather than later. The front of the trailer sits way too low. I will also raise the suspension to the first level of 2 inches higher. When I change out the tires/wheels, I will raise the trailer and then fix the pin box/hitch height before the first major trip. Pic from truck stop on way home yesterday.

IMG_1698_zps2nwgynyn.jpg

The pin box is pretty long and angled so extending it will add more torque to the frame box, but the older Tetons had a reputation for being built a cut above.

There is quite a big gap between the truck and the trailer, would going to a straight up pin box help reduce the torque on the frame box?

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Shannon, you mentioned that you were going to change out wheels and tires, and raise your suspension. So don't do anything else with that hitch until you have raised your suspension and put your trailer on level ground then measured how high (or low) your pin box is. Make your changes to hitch and pin box after you make your changes to the suspension.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Shannon, you mentioned that you were going to change out wheels and tires, and raise your suspension. So don't do anything else with that hitch until you have raised your suspension and put your trailer on level ground then measured how high (or low) your pin box is. Make your changes to hitch and pin box after you make your changes to the suspension.

That's the plan.

Little delayed. Re sanding and re painting the cabinets, color didn't turn out right......dominos and mo' money.

Yes, The Teton came with adjustable suspension points, 2 and 4 inches. I'm going to go up 2 and see how that is first, then look at the hitch and bed.

Thanks,

Shannon

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

• 4 weeks later...

update: with work, I was not able to get the trailer resanded and painted again before the estate sale and we had to be out of the house this week. So focused on moving out and the estate sale. Estate sale happened last weekend. Now gettting rid of the rest of the stuff and cleaning out the house. Close on Friday. In an apt for a couple of months.

We will start sanding next week. Should take a couple of weeks of evenings and weekends and around work travel. Then repaint. Install new range, countertop, sink, and refrigerator; lay the floor, tires and wheels, the ECR will prob be first trip. After the trailer is done and we are moved in, I will start on the truck wiring, windows in sleeper. I will need y'all's help for designing the electrical rewire. I can do the work, just need a map to follow! Genset, shore power, transfer switch, inverter/charger, and 2nd battery bank. It kinda works now, but I want to rip it out and do it right.

For those that want to do wiring layouts and will be at the ECR I'm happy to advise. It would be helpful if you let me know what the requirements are beforehand, and I can make recommendations for components/equipment, and design your wiring layouts.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Hi Mr. Jack, I'll take you up on this. Please let me know what I will owe you. I'm planning on ripping out the birdsnest and doing it right.

Thanks,

Shannon

Shannon, what exactly are you planning to correct/add/replace? Between David Dixon an myself we can likley get you on the right path. (David, notice how I volunteered you? :) )

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Up above in thread, posted pics of what the wiring looks like on both battery banks. It's a mess. Take that image x 10 and that is what the birdsnest behind the refrigerator looks like.

So shore power, gen set, automatic transfer switch, breaker panel, inverter/charger, AC, microwave, refrigerator, etc. currently the gen set charges the chassis battery bank and the house battery bank. Everything works fine on shore power and gen set power. But when running down road, the inverter is not powered by truck alternator.

There is also a 30 amp and a 50 amp supply for the trailer from the gen set.

Plan is to rip out everything in the sleeper and rewire inverter, AC, plugs, etc., and allow for add on accessories, basically rewire it correctly.

That help? I will go over to storage yard this weekend and map out, take pics, and consolidate everything in to one plan draft.

The other thing I forgot is the phantom trailer brake activation on left turn signal. I will be ordering a jackalopee to address, so need to wore that in as well.

Then the trailer wiring plan I mentioned to you previously. I will spend some.time.ddocumenting exactly what is there and what my goals are and we can go from there.

Thanks for everyone's help.

The other thing I forgot is the phantom trailer brake activation on left turn signal. I will be ordering a jackalopee to address, so need to wore that in as well.

Then the trailer wiring plan I mentioned to you previously. I will spend some.time.ddocumenting exactly what is there and what my goals are and we can go from there.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Archived