Anyone use ZEP on the outside walls of their RV

37 minutes ago, lappir said:

Getting ready to do something to the exterior of my Spacecraft. Built in 2013 and mostly only washed so far. Did start with the Orange bottle stuff a couple times. Have done the front cap at least once and the rear doors probably only once. By the time I got those done climbing up and down the ladder I couldn't even thing of attacking the sides. It's only 42 fool long, right? I had touched on this post a while back and am thinking of trying the Zep, but then I found this stuff. "Original Bike Spirits" . I just got a new motorcycle and have been using the Honda Pro cleaner polish and protectant  Have used it for years and it works great. The can is getting near empty and was looking for a place near work to pick up some more. Found the Original Bike Spirits and checked out their MSDS sheet to find the product is made by the Zep company. Maybe I should buy a case and just spray and wipe like I do on the motorcycles. Pretty sure I don't want to do the 5 coats that I read about above.

Will be at the Spacecraft factory the first of October and they are going to allow me to use some of their rolling scaffolds to make the job easier. Anyone want to do a Spacecraft tour, please stop by and grab a rag.

Rod

How long does the shine/protection last ? 

If you have to redo it every week ...

Goes around , comes around .

On 9/4/2017 at 6:13 PM, SCClockDr said:

I've tried both Zep and Poli-Glo, it seems the Zep is not as UV resistant.

I now only use the Poli-Glo.

Thanks for your info. Will take a look at Poli-Glo. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looked up Poli Glow, watched the youtube videos and decided to order some. Placed the order direct from their site on Sept 18 and have it today. Not sure when it arrived at my selected destination, but am glad it was there and saves me from a 600 mile trip to come back to get it if it wasn't here. I procrastinated in getting it ordered. Now I just hope my motorcycle parts have arrived or I may have to do the 600 mile ride anyway.

Ordered the kit and an extra bottle of the Poli Glow. Hopefully I can keep on top of it and will only have to use the concentrated cleaner once. Do plan to have the trailer washed at a truck wash the day before starting. That should save some time. Wish me luck, or better yet stop by and grab a mit. Two came in the box.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, Robert07 said:

This is by far the best oxidation remover I have ever used! This McKee’s 37 Marine & RV MKRV-520 Heavy Cut Oxidation Remover works better than I hoped. We have a travel trailer, and every other year it seems I have to work hard to remove the oxidation, which usually involves a lot of rubbing and white dust. This is my first time using Max's RV heavy cut oxidation remover and it is a GREAT product. No white dust, easy on and fairly easy off. Just one swipe of the fluid using a rug instantly reveals a good result.

Tried to look it up, but didn't see the oxidation remover right away. The easy to find stuff it ceramic coatings and care. Will look again later. Not going to do anything for a bit, but now I have this on my radar as a follow up. 

Rod

Thanks for the suggestion. 

2007 Honda GL 1800

I realize this is an old thread, but for anyone who reads this and is interested, I highly recommend ZEP finish.  As mentioned in the detailed instructions above, surface prep is very important.  After that applying ZEP is quick and easy consisting of merely wiping the surface with a rag dampened in ZEP.  A minimum of 4 thin coats are recommended.  It took me an entire day, mostly in prep work removing old oxidation.  I did that in 2013.  Every year or two, I wash the RV and apply another thin coat.  After all these years the RV still looks great, has a shine, beads up water.  Even more important there are no black streaks and dirt just rinses off.  I often just spray the RV and don't even bother with soap.

There is one downside.  The ZEP finish shines and looks good but cannot rival the high gloss finish you can achieve with a good paste wax.  Of course that great paste wax shine only lasts a few weeks and ZEP can last for years.

Initially I was concerned that ZEP did not include a UV protectant.  That does not seem to be at all necessary.  The ZEP treatment seals the surface and prevents oxidation.  In doing research, I also found that paste waxes contain only minimal amounts of UV protectants, too little to be of much use and what is there deteriorates quickly in the sunlight.  My RV lives uncovered, outdoors in harsh winters and blazing desert sun.  The ZEP finish seems to last forever.  If I ever need to start over, I have a gallon of ZEP stripper and can start over.   The only issue I have had is on the nose of the RV.  A few million bug splatters dried on.  At the end of my trip, months later, I had to scrub them off and reapply a few coats of ZEP.  Typically bug splatters just wipe off without damaging the ZEP finish.  The storm of bugs that hatched near Klamath was an exception. 

"UV resistance", or the lack of it, frequently comes up in ZEP versus whatever coating discussions. A quick bit of research shows that the acrylic solids used in ZEP Wet Look floor polish or the discontinued private label Red Max Pro are naturally UV resistant.

I mentioned Red Max Pro because some of the best RV application write-ups were written back when Home Depot was selling ZEP floor products under their own Red Max label. Same stuff...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 2 weeks later...

A guy on irv2.com posted he spent a week removing it from the exterior of his 5er because it yellowed.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

49 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

A guy on irv2.com posted he spent a week removing it from the exterior of his 5er because it yellowed.

The primary color of my coach is an off white anyway, so that likely wouldn't be noticeable. If it stays shiny, I'd be happy.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system