National Indoor RV Center

artywoof

Has anyone purchased from the National Indoor RV Center in Lewisville TX or the other locations?

Mainly wondering if the price they showed on the lot was what you paid? The sales person that talked to my parents said that was the price as they were a Newmar discount dealer. Should they take that price or try to haggle a better price?

They are looking at the Newmar Canyon Star 3911 (wheelchair accessible) Dealer price $164,900.00

Hi, Tim here I'm an Xscaper Planning for FT September 2017. Currently in Austin TX.

event.png

The Newmar website lists the base price with no options as an MSRP of $160,986. While it is difficult to know just what options the one your parents are looking at has, that don't sound like any bargain price to me. If it were my parents, I'd have them get another price quote from at least one other Newmar dealer and two or three would be better. And I would tell the salesperson that we are getting prices elsewhere as well. You should never pay any more than 75% of the factory MSRP.

You can see whee the other Newmar dealers are located from their map.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

They were going by what the dealers website had as an MSRP of $206,000.00. Most of the ones on other dealers have listed a $200k price as MSRP. I'll keep looking.

The Newmar website lists the base price with no options as an MSRP of $160,986. While it is difficult to know just what options the one your parents are looking at has, that don't sound like any bargain price to me. If it were my parents, I'd have them get another price quote from at least one other Newmar dealer and two or three would be better. And I would tell the salesperson that we are getting prices elsewhere as well. You should never pay any more than 75% of the factory MSRP.

Hi, Tim here I'm an Xscaper Planning for FT September 2017. Currently in Austin TX.

event.png

They were going by what the dealers website had as an MSRP of $206,000.00. Most of the ones on other dealers have listed a $200k price as MSRP. I'll keep looking.

If what the dealer is showing is accurate, that is getting into the reasonable range but that seems pretty high for a gasoline powered coach. If this is the one with a lift and wheel chair access, that might push it higher in price as I've not shopped those at all. I did some digging on the internet and he does seem to be in a reasonable range for that model. I hadn't noticed that the 3911 has the wheelchair access modifications before and so was not looking at that specific model. Unfortunately, Newmar doesn't list the base prices by specific version of their models so the page is rather misleading for option heavy versions such as the 3911. From having found several other dealers that have that same model, I'm guessing that your dealer is being pretty honest on the stated MSRP.

If it were me, I'd go back with an offer of $155,000 which is 75% of what he has listed as the MSRP and see what he says. Even if he were to counter with $160k, that still saves your parents $5,000+ if you add in the 6.25% sales taxes that they would save. Even using the dealer stated MSRP, he is still at the high end of reasonable pricing with 80% and I believe that you can do better. I would at the least get a copy of the spec sheet for this coach and then offer to show it to the 2 dealers in the Houston area, 1 in San Antonio, and the 1 in Oklahoma City and tell they you are price shopping to see what they say. You might be surprised by how much prices will vary from dealer to dealer. When we bought our fulltime coach in 1998, it was a gasoline coach with an MSRP of $81k and we found a dealer in the OK city area that sold us the exact same coach (both special ordered) for $5000 less than the dealer in the DFW area was willing to go.

For a person shopping from a wheelchair, location can be an important consideration. Paying for convenience can be a good thing. While I am not wheelchair bound I have paid to rent mobility scooters at the Mall of America and the Minnesota State Fair. Now that I bought my TravelScoot I don't need to rent scooters anymore but I still pay attention to access and will choose a place with good access over one with poor access--not all dealers are created equal in more ways than one. The fact that the dealer the OP is asking about has "indoor" in their name makes it one I would likely choose to check out even if the rig I bought there cost me a bit more. It's kind of like joining Escapees even when not using their mailing service--choosing to support a business that supports us.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

There are dealers who have high prices and will not budge much. That is their operating mode.

Yup, and there are dealers that mark up a little and get their money from volume. These are the ones to deal with. One caveat, they move a lot of units. Once they have your money, they tend to lose your number.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

Thanks, I thought they were close to a respectable price. It bothered me they said no to a negotiation. Their website does not say no haggle prices. Plus I hoped to hear from anyone who purchased from them and if they were able to haggle or not. Parents are still up in the air as the unit new is more then they wish to pay so they are considering a used one. They also did not complete the testing of transferring out of his chair to say the bed, toilet, shower, and even open the microwave. Thanks.

event.png

A couple of things:

1. What is the MSRP vs. the price the dealer wants, you have just told us the price the dealer wants.

2. This is a specialty RV and may be hard to find plus may limit negotiating.

3. Let your fingers do the walking on the internet for that model. I don't know how long Newmar had mfg. this model but I would be wary of one that is only 1-2 years old on the used market, my experience say this is could be a lemon.

4. Check RVtrader just for numbers. North Trail in FL generally has good prices based on my internet research a few years ago.

3. Let your fingers do the walking on the internet for that model. I don't know how long Newmar had mfg. this model but I would be wary of one that is only 1-2 years old on the used market, my experience say this is could be a lemon.

On the other hand, it could be that many people who start out in wheelchairs don't stay out as long. Those of us with restricted mobility often tire easier so cannot do all the things we wanted to do out there. Even I, who started out with just a cane, only stayed out there three years full time and part of three winters. It's not unusual for whole bodied people to only keep a rig for 2 years why should the mobility limited be different in that? This group often recommends people buy a rig that's only 2-3 years old to get the best bang for their buck.

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

The MSRP is $200,000. And the dealer wants $165,000. They said no haggling.

We have found about 6 used units on RVTrader from 2013 to 2016 listed. They range from $118,000 - $155,000

My parents thought that they could take this out on their own and do everything to set it up and live in it. I think they realize that with their combined limitations that that may not be possible. I have mentioned if they get this I can take them for extended trips

We will be going to Escapade and hope to see and talk to others who travel with disabilities and I hope they get an understanding of what it might take to drive, setup/take down, and live in one. They could do it but it would be quite the challenge.

event.png

I gather they have no RVing experience? This is not the way to go if that is true. There are plenty of challenges for fully capable people starting out. For people with limitations I just can't see it being done. There are so many unknowns and problems that occur.

Have they signed up for Boot Camp? That teaches beginning RVers and would give them a taste of what needs to be done. There are various boot camps around the country, not just at Escapade. I would do that prior to laying out any money for an RV.

It is probably too late to sign up for Boot Camp now but one never knows.

I am not sure Escapade will tell them what they need to know.

I would commend your parents for even considering this but also advise caution since even a used unit will be pretty expensive. A visit to Escapade is a good idea, especially if they have no prior RV experience. If you do this you should make other RVers there aware of what you need to know as I'm sure that more than one would be very happy to visit on the subject and even to demonstrate. No matter how an RV is designed, the operator still must be able to connect the power, water, and sewer as a minimum. If one only stays in modern commercial RV parks that job isn't a bad one but it still does require bending, lifting, and physical exertion. I have known more than one RV owner who was physically disabled but can't recall ever meeting a couple who were both disabled.

I am guessing that your SKP number comes from your parents, so it indicates that they have extensive RV experience? If so, they probably have a pretty good idea of what is required and may be better judges of what they can do, than any or us..... You have not said if they are both confined to chairs, or only one and if they can do limited things from a standing position after moving about in the chair. Those things would make a significant difference. You also make me wonder just how old your parents are, since based upon the age listed in your profile, I suspect that your parents are younger than many of us on these forums.

I am guessing that your SKP number comes from your parents, so it indicates that they have extensive RV experience? If so, they probably have a pretty good idea of what is required and may be better judges of what they can do, than any or us..... You have not said if they are both confined to chairs, or only one and if they can do limited things from a standing position after moving about in the chair. Those things would make a significant difference. You also make me wonder just how old your parents are, since based upon the age listed in your profile, I suspect that your parents are younger than many of us on these forums.

My SKP number 1450 is one that was given to me when my Mom 1448 (we had as a family) and my biological father divorced (I don't know his). She asked Escapees and they gave me my own number back then because of the divorce. Mom then married my step father who now married into the 1448, is the one in the wheelchair. So Mom and I only have about 3-4 years worth of experience back when I was kid. We lived in two different RVS, at 28' Argosy and a 35' Fifth wheel.

Mom has had many back surgeries and though can do things sometimes well she often pays the price the next day if she over do's. My step father in the wheel chair can not do to many tasks as its a powered wheelchair and his arms are weakening from Post Polio Syndrome.

I am trying to convince them that its better if I participate in the moving them set up / take down and they just do the living in the RV. At either campgrounds around the country or even they are considering and applying for CARE center.

event.png

Mom has had many back surgeries and though can do things sometimes well she often pays the price the next day if she over do's. My step father in the wheel chair can not do to many tasks as its a powered wheelchair and his arms are weakening from Post Polio Syndrome.

My inability to get an angle on the sideways dump valve with enough strength to pull it is what finally got me off the road. It sounds like that could be a problem for your parents as well. You might want to get a macerator that works with a push button for them if the rig doesn't already come with one. Even if you help with the set up and tear down it's likely you won't always be there when dumping needs to happen.

Linda Sand

I am trying to convince them that its better if I participate in the moving them set up / take down and they just do the living in the RV. At either campgrounds around the country or even they are considering and applying for CARE center.

I do understand their not wishing to give up their independence, but the day is coming that it won't be optional. Electric dump valves and a power cord reel for shore power might help to slow the arrival of that time. The CARE facility is a wonderful place and could help to extend their ability to live independent of your assistance, but it would not be traveling. It is a way that they could stay in the RV community and enjoy the lifestyle it brings.

Archived