Jump to content

Dimplex Fireplace Failure


ms60ocb

Recommended Posts

How many have had problems with a Dimplex Fireplace?

 

This morning I turned on the fire place to give a little extra heat while the coffee was brewing. This I had done many mornings, the heat runs til the thermostat shuts the heater off. Not this morning, as the sun came out it was getting warm so I turned off the fireplace. Doing my normal activity and finally I relieved it was hotter, the fire place was still running at 3 degrees over set point. Hitting fireplace power switch (not the remote did not turn the unit off. I turned the breaker OFF and looked at Owner's Manual, turned on the power and heat was on and still would stop heating by any means. Turned OFF power and some later found a Service Manual on line.

The Service manual first said check the Owner's Manual. Turned the power back ( Maybe off 20-30 minutes) on. The fireplace remained off and did respond to normal controls. Just like a computer has to rebooted but required more off time.

The unit scares me now ad the unit is 13 months old.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine is two and 1/2 years old. First a switch went bad so that the heater would not turn off and I had to use the breaker to turn it off and on. Even though I was out of warranty they sent me free replacement parts. It then worked fine. Then last week my wife smelled burning wire plastic or wire and shut it off. I checked it out in the morning and as soon as I turned it own the smell started up and the stream of air coming out was so hot you had to pull your hand away. I have not taken it apart yet but from the service manual it sounds like the blower/heater assembly unit needs to be replaced which is about $100.00. So, two breakdowns in a little over two years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a fireplace, but our electric heaters get filled with dust. We had one overheat and start smoking. It was dust catching on fire. We take the front off and blow them out with the air compressor to clean them. Not as easy with a mounted fireplace, but you could vacuum them out. You would be surprised how much is in there. I think they attract the dust.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First a switch went bad so that the heater would not turn off and I had to use the breaker to turn it off and on. Even though I was out of warranty they sent me free replacement parts.

I called this morning and a new part is being sent as warranty repair. I asked the the young lady at what temperature would the cut-out switch operate, after being on hold a few moments she replied " 90 Degrees C". (Which is194 degrees F) I replied that is to hot and she replied that is UL approved.

But I know Samsung setting above the fireplace would not like that temperature. Maybe an in-line thermostat is to be installed to protect the electronic above.

Clay

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

How many have had problems with a Dimplex Fireplace?

 

This morning I turned on the fire place to give a little extra heat while the coffee was brewing. This I had done many mornings, the heat runs til the thermostat shuts the heater off. Not this morning, as the sun came out it was getting warm so I turned off the fireplace. Doing my normal activity and finally I relieved it was hotter, the fire place was still running at 3 degrees over set point. Hitting fireplace power switch (not the remote did not turn the unit off. I turned the breaker OFF and looked at Owner's Manual, turned on the power and heat was on and still would stop heating by any means. Turned OFF power and some later found a Service Manual on line.

The Service manual first said check the Owner's Manual. Turned the power back ( Maybe off 20-30 minutes) on. The fireplace remained off and did respond to normal controls. Just like a computer has to rebooted but required more off time.

The unit scares me now ad the unit is 13 months old.

Depending upon the model year of your Dimplex, they had a recall for the type/model with a remote about 8-10 years ago. Something about the remote unit at the plug-in starting fires. I got a letter from Dutchmen, but mine did not have a remote unit.

I know yours is a year old, but you might contact Dimplex anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Dimplex does not have a remote, but I have had to remove it and take the top cover off to expose the heater assembly twice over the past 7 years. It gets dirty and a simple vacuuming cleans it right up. I did take the heat assembly outside and blew it off with compressed air. Vacuuming all of the wiring and switches fixed it right up. The symptom was that it would not stay on. Cleaning the dirt off of the thermostat fixed that problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did receive a relay board from the factory this week but waiting for a rainy day next week to replace and start using the fireplace again. I will comment later on the dust but expect it to be low as it is just my Wife & I ( and we move slower each day) and no pets.

Clay

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

RV Cable Grip

RV Cable Grip

All the water you need...No matter where you go

Country Thunder Iowa

Nomad Internet

Rv Share

Dish For My RV.

RV Air.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

The Rvers- Now Streaming

RVTravel.com Logo



×
×
  • Create New...