My Dream Truck (almost)

Chad Heiser

So I was poking around on YouTube and found this.

It's not the most exciting video, but it gives me hope. This is the first Argosy glider I have come across. I figured they had to be out there, but there isn't a huge cab over market in North America so they are few and far between. This would make a great RV hauler, although I would prefer it was paired with an Ultrashift instead of the manual it has. I would love to have an Argosy to keep my overal length manageable. I could single it to a similar wheelbase to what I have now (short) and still have room for a Smart or ATV or similar on the bed and stay under 65' overall. Dream big, I say. One of these days!

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Love it. We would want the Ultrashifts or new DD trans but not sure if that would still make it a glider.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

There have been many of these built for the US and Canadian market. I don't have a total number but I have seen and taken pictures of at least a dozen in the last year. I started a thread about 2 of them sitting for sale in Tulsa.

The cab noise is probably not as good as a Volvo, but as good as most conventional tractors on the market. All cabs have to make a maximum noise level of 80db or less when under full power.

Cabovers have always been a creature created by arcane regulations, usually associated with overall length laws. The EU's 54' over all length and Australia's various regulations about axle spreads, wheelbases and axle weights cause them to be used there.

The Argosy, as good as it looks is a 20 year old platform. Relative to what the Europeans have it downright primitive.

If you want a sexy cabover try looking at the videos that Paccar has showcasing it's DAF trucks made in the Netherlands like this:

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I have quote on my desk for a 2017 Argosy Glider from Tulsa Freightliner. It was a leftover for Tulsa Energy I believe.

Do you mind if I ask how much he quote is for?

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I believe this is what Stekay is referring to :

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/16970575/2014-freightliner-argosy

There are 2 trucks involved. 1 is completed glider, running and ready to go . The other has the reman engine installed at the factory, the rest is up you. Both of them are set up for heavy haul, double frames, 240" inch wheelbase and extended frame beyond where the rears are to be mounted.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Archived