Volvo & Freightliner layoffs

jkoenig24

Apparently, the business of building HDTs is not doing well. Volvo has announced it's laying off 500 workers (after 300 layoffs last September) and Daimler (Freightliner & Western Star divisions) will be cutting 1200 workers.

http://www.overdriveonline.com/volvo-to-cut-500-more-employees-at-truck-plant/?utm_medium=single_article&utm_campaign=site_click&utm_source=in_story_promotion

Thank you both for the updates. I have been working in the HDT arena for 5 years now. This business has more downturns than the auto industry by far.

The previous administration had allowed or forced very tight emissions restrictions for 2020 and beyond. It appears the current administration will loosen the regulations.

Knowing Volvo's preference for procrastination, I think they are waiting to see the final rules. Does anyone have a guess about the impact on truck production?

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Thank you both for the updates. I have been working in the HDT arena for 5 years now. This business has more downturns than the auto industry by far.

The previous administration had allowed or forced very tight emissions restrictions for 2020 and beyond. It appears the current administration will loosen the regulations.

Knowing Volvo's preference for procrastination, I think they are waiting to see the final rules. Does anyone have a guess about the impact on truck production?

Volvo is NEVER slacking on emissions. They are tree huggers at heart. We are always ahead of the game on emissions.

"If you can not measure it, you can not improve it."

Lord Kelvin

Having toured the VA Volvo assembly plant, I can tell you that our 2016 emissions levels exceed the Federal requirements. What comes out of my exhaust has no smell and is "virtually" cleaner than the surrounding air.

My $.02

David

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

There is a lot of stupid stuff that will (hopefully) be put on hold, but I personally don't think GHG Phase 2 is going to be even close to being one of them. It would be a big mistake for any truck or trailer OEM to pull that from their product plan right now. It won't change truck production much because the onus of it is on the OEM. The end user isn't really affected much, except for price and better paper fuel economy. But if you ever wanted to buy a TPMS company now is the time! I think their time has finally come.

It isn't mandated per se, but it'll become one of the technologies you can pick to meet your overall goal. So instead of smacking vocational and light vocational trucks with fairings and active cruise control and things that don't work for them you can put on a TPMS and not have to burn up any credits. That is a way oversimplified example but is kind of how it works. Trailer manufacturers have to start phase 2 in 2018 and I'm thinking you'll see a whole lot of them going TPMS or other active inflation systems rather than taking on the huge capital it takes to tool up a semi sized trailer fairing. Since the new trailer has it you might as well option it on your new tractor to display it.

Archived