Hmm 1

phoenix2013

Why have four single tire axles with the associated handling complications when two dual tire axles would do the same weight (or more) and handle so much better?

it puts the frame rails closer together which causes a reduction in stiffness ,to bring it back (stiffness) the frame gets heavier because more material is needed.

Newmar did this for a while - and the trailers were heavy. (but what do we care )

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Why have four single tire axles with the associated handling complications when two dual tire axles would do the same weight (or more) and handle so much better?

I agree, but the short answer is, "Lippert doesn't make it".

Dog%20and%20sheep%20copy_zps0ewyi2sf.jpg

If the improvement gives you a competitive advantage the sheep will get together and portrait you as one of these

Sheet%20and%20ass_zpsi9bl1gqq.jpg

I am 3000lb over on my trailer limit. I have to be there to get an acceptable pin weight percentage. Those that know me know that I carry a lot of tools and equipment. Without this it would not be possible to get my pin weight to acceptable levels. I will never purchase another rv without knowing what the pit stops and percentage is.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

It's only been a little over three years with my dual tandem trailer but I couldn't be more happy. I don't think it will change. I don't do a lot of miles a year, so time will tell if the extended sitting in one place will cause any issues with my semi trailer tires. A trailer built before mine on a Semi chassis used the "Super Singles". If I were to start from scratch I'd stay tandem on the truck with the wide tread tires (or what ever name I recently saw posted) and would have the same size on the trailer. I would plan for a rotation of the tires once a year and I would use my truck more. With my trailer one day I will go back to a conventional semi hitch. I think most of the semi trailers sold by Spacecraft are pulled with a non air hitch. Will have to ask Marsha or Wyatt that question one day just to be sure.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Theoretically yes, but you have to consider other things:

RVs are not tractor trailers, they don't flex, they can't flex with all that stuff hanging from the walls and and on the walls.

They don't carry cargo, wrapped, strapped, on the pallets and lashed to the walls. And not everyone wants to eat from paper plates only and drink from plastic cups only.

They are not built to tractor trailer industry standards expecting to travel fully loaded to to 60K hundreds of thousand of miles for years.

Most of their frames come from Lippert and for those you better have an air hitch to isolate them from the truck.

Thanks Henry. When I asked that question, I wasn't thinking of the Lippert framed units, but rather the heavier, custom builds, with the axles moved rearward, increasing pin weight dramatically.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Thanks Henry. When I asked that question, I wasn't thinking of the Lippert framed units, but rather the heavier, custom builds, with the axles moved rearward, increasing pin weight dramatically.

Those custom trailers do not typically need more pin weight. They are generally towards the 25% number. Not all, but generally. I realize you are talking about 30-40% but that is really not needed in any scenario I can visualize.... Plus, until Henry completes the new hitch, a 9K pin weight on an RV trailer is a little problematic. Because I still want an air ride hitch, even on my robustly built trailer. I don't want the contents bounced.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We tow a Newmar Mountain Aire with tandem duals and have owned two others, two with Mor/Ryde IS and the one we have now has twin Dexter 10k axles (waiting for MR to gather the parts to install the IS). The units tow wonderfully, but you have to pay attention to your load plan since the frames rails are closer together. The model we have is the 38RLPK it is a four slide set up with the entertainment slide, kitchen, and bedroom slide on the same side plus the genset so the unit wants to lean toward the roadside. I will say that with the narrower frame rails though you pick up a whole lot of storage plus a nice pull out porch with the steps. The unit is heavy for 38' loaded around 21k but you don't need to use 17.5" H rated tires when you have 8 16" E rated that cost a lot less.

I called Newmar and ask if they would build a new unit in 2014 and their reply was not for any price, to bad because this RV is built like a battleship. It has a super quiet interior, easy to heat and cool due to the great insulation (12" in the floor covered with sheet metal) and thick walls. If you ever get a chance to see one when it is covered in dew and the wall structure stands out you will be amazed out how much aluminum is in the 3-1/4" thick walls.

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

It's only been a little over three years with my dual tandem trailer but I couldn't be more happy. I don't think it will change. I don't do a lot of miles a year, so time will tell if the extended sitting in one place will cause any issues with my semi trailer tires. A trailer built before mine on a Semi chassis used the "Super Singles". If I were to start from scratch I'd stay tandem on the truck with the wide tread tires (or what ever name I recently saw posted) and would have the same size on the trailer. I would plan for a rotation of the tires once a year and I would use my truck more. With my trailer one day I will go back to a conventional semi hitch. I think most of the semi trailers sold by Spacecraft are pulled with a non air hitch. Will have to ask Marsha or Wyatt that question one day just to be sure.

Rod

1Rod:

Do you have any photos, links and/or more info on your trailer? Your toy hauler is what I have been considering.

Henry, Marc said he was going to follow up with a usage report to you. But basically the change totally resolved his issues. A big "win" on that one.

I would be interested in Marc's improvements.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

I would be interested in Marc's improvements.

I also would be interested. I plan to do the same thing with my DRV.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

1Rod:

Do you have any photos, links and/or more info on your trailer? Your toy hauler is what I have been considering.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=121932&p=827386

The above is a link to a topic on the Spacecraft Facebook Page. I am looking for some links for photos that were posted in the past.

Rod

Spacecraft RV Owners Group

https://goo.gl/photos/9h3ApA17u9ypah586

Above is the name of the Facebook page. It's a closed group so you will need to request membership. second link is to a Google photo album of the inside of my trailer shortly after delivery.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Henry, don't you have photo shop yet? Can't you make me look like a 40 year old with no belly sticking out? I know you have other pictures. If you want to send them to me by email I will post them as a link.

Rod

Rod arriving for the hitch inspection.

Irod%20001_zpswvxykqta.jpg

Irod%20002_zpsd5t7vlrz.jpg

It's a big sucker

Irod%20003_zpsiowwxmnd.jpg

Hitch upgrade, truck only

Irod%20004_zpslrudss0y.jpg

How's that for the frame extension

Irod%20005_zpsritd9ytt.jpg

2007 Honda GL 1800

Before I started my build, I wanted to be sure I didn't "HAVE TO" make any changes in my hitch or my truck. I asked Henry, Marsha and Wyatt to work together to ensure I could pull my new trailer to Florida with out much concern. We worked on "pin weights" and some other concerns. Other than the new sensation of not yet broken in air brakes on the trailer I had an uneventful trip to Florida. My ET is one of the early models according to Henry. He can probably tell you more about it's birth. We did a full revision the first winter I had the Spacecraft in Florida except for the Super Binkley. I have had no issues. I will be doing a shortening of my stinger and most likely a return to a standard Holland hitch in the next few years. I took 4 ft off the drom box/motorcycle garage a couple winters ago, so I have some room to play with. I do have a bit of cantilever action with my truck under certain circumstances. "I" don't feel significantly concerned, but if I can fix it, I will.

I do not know if I will suffer with a harsher ride for the trailer without the air ride hitch. In some ways I think I am having a harsher ride with the air ride. It may be just due to the distance between the axle of the truck and the axles of the trailer. I'm thinking a more solid connection between my trailer and the truck will be better. Once this revision is done, I will post the results.

If anyone is interested in the Strongback chairs, please send me an email or message and I will share my opinions.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Archived