Hmm 1

phoenix2013

If it's a hamburger press, it needs a stop on the non-hinged end to keep the patties uniformly thick. If it's part of a hitch, it has interesting bag placement. C'mon Henry....don't keep us in suspenders. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

4 bag semi independent?

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Henry, I'm willing to be your test dummy, as I am in Florida now. I still don't know what it is but I have quite a bit of confidence in any thing you decide is worthwhile. I know you think outside the box but you always seem to consider operating parameters that many manufacturers don't address or even think of, in their products. Now, what the heck is it ?? The suspense is killing me !! Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Sure looks like the next generation of hitch. Mega capacity. I'll go even further out this skinny limb, and say Jack gets the first one.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

10K Pin weight, 50k capacity, ETSuper Max :lol:

I'm guessing that has something to do with the customer that requested a hitch above the normal capacities of the existing hitch selections!

Bingo and bingo, preliminary design concept, those are two 8,000 lb air bags for 16K total. Also thinking a 13.5K + 8K and two 13.5K bags. I thought I might have just one customer, then I got another call, apparently New Horizon built a toyhauler with a 9K pin weight when loaded. Currently pulled with a TrailerSaver (carefully), that poor TrailerSaver runs at 135 psi just to come up to level.

Bingo and bingo, preliminary design concept, those are two 8,000 lb air bags for 16K total. Also thinking a 13.5K + 8K and two 13.5K bags. I thought I might have just one customer, then I got another call, apparently New Horizon built a toyhauler with a 9K pin weight when loaded. Currently pulled with a TrailerSaver (carefully), that poor TrailerSaver runs at 135 psi just to come up to level.

I would love to see photos of the toy hauler! Got any? Or, a link?

I would love to see photos of the toy hauler! Got any? Or, a link?

ET%204_zpsefphxg8y.jpg

ET%203_zpsrmdrzvyy.jpg

Super%20ET%202_zps91mcvgxq.jpg

Interesting thing about the truck. The owner originally had a beauty of an MDT hauler, all tricked out, but the thing didn't have enough balls to deal with the NH. He found this HDT, it's old but in superb shape, 15 liter CAT with insanely low miles, they haven't even started to break it in before they sold it, he had it singled and now is waiting for the "real hitch".

and I thought 3 axles were a pain, no tight turns for that trailer. If NH did 4 axles for a mini cooper, I hate to think what they would suggest for our 6k+ vehicle we put in the back of our toyhauler.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Might just be the picture nut it looks long too. I don't see 3 axles any more issues than two. Yes more costs. That tire always looks like it will come off rim on concrete if I have to cut it sharp. Never does though. But I have never seen a 4 axle rv either

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

There were 4 axle Tetons, and there have been 4 axle New Horizon units. Most of the Tetons I'm familiar with were exported.

Henry, do you have weights on that rig??

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The customer told me but it slipped my mind, it was up there but did not seem to be "too exorbitant" for the ETs, The problem is the pin weight, it's over 9.000 pounds. He did tell New Horizon to put the axles that far back so that the Mini would not offload the pin, but apparently the stuff forward of the axles made a big difference when these went back.

This design would be just right with 16K of airbags, but I'm also trying to figure out how to deal with 12K pin weights. I don't think the march upwards in lengths, weights and pin weight is going to stop.

I watched you video, what effect did the straight pin box have on Mark's DRV? I saw the motion after we put the bumps in his ET and he told me it was a great improvement, from what I saw it was still pretty disgusting, I hate to see what it was like before.

Henry, Marc said he was going to follow up with a usage report to you. But basically the change totally resolved his issues. A big "win" on that one.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I watched you video, what effect did the straight pin box have on Mark's DRV

I ran some number based on the displayed numbers and an estimated pin to trailer length. It (24") only takes 330lbs off the pin

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Theoretically yes, but you have to consider other things:

RVs are not tractor trailers, they don't flex, they can't flex with all that stuff hanging from the walls and and on the walls.

They don't carry cargo, wrapped, strapped, on the pallets and lashed to the walls. And not everyone wants to eat from paper plates only and drink from plastic cups only.

They are not built to tractor trailer industry standards expecting to travel fully loaded to to 60K hundreds of thousand of miles for years.

Most of their frames come from Lippert and for those you better have an air hitch to isolate them from the truck.

Henry, Marc said he was going to follow up with a usage report to you. But basically the change totally resolved his issues. A big "win" on that one.

Very%20interresrting_zps8ibwfjug.jpg

I would guess that the pin weight hasn't changed much, if at all, maybe Marc can confirm that. I'm thinking that changing the distance towards the trailer axles incresed the hysteresis and introduced more damping. My other guess would be that with the extended pin box things were at resonance and moving it back disturbed the resonance and towards damping.

IN THE MEANTIME, DRV is still in this mode.

Sg%20Schultz_zpshxsklj5g.jpg

Had a discussion with a prospective customer, "do you know the pin weight, GVWR"? Kind of important when specifying a hitch. The sales guy was able to to provide the GVWR "guess" from so many Ks to so many Ks. Pin weight, forget it, not in any brochure, not in any sales info, regional manager didn't know either, finally after a call to the manufacturer a number was produced. Apparently there is only one engineer at the factory who can produce it, when he is found. And naturally for the size and weight of the rig it was quite low (in my not so humble opinion).

Why have four single tire axles with the associated handling complications when two dual tire axles would do the same weight (or more) and handle so much better?

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Archived