Winter Travel

TruckingEla

Hello, I'm a newbie who's chosen a life of RVing head first. I'm travelling with a Colorado pick up and a 6x10 cargo trailer (which needs to be outfitted with solar etc etc).

I'll be travelling from Ontario to Arizona in the next few days and would like some advice on the best routes. Since I'm new to the towing business, I would like to avoid challenging winter weather and challenging terrains as much as possible. My ultimate goal is to get to Arizona for March, so I have a lot of time.

Any suggestions?

Hi, TruckingEla i can't speak to your routing but i will advise you to get an interactive weather app like "Weather Street". You need to keep an eye on the weather when in the snow belt. It is much better to plan a stay in a motel for a day or two than to be surprised by a nasty snow storm or ice storm like what is happening in KS or OK. Money spent on a motel is better than on a towtruck. Be safe and enjoy!

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

Many C.G's do not recognize cargo trailers as Rv's and do not permit them. Check ahead first.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Ah, the wonderful world of advice. There are many great suggestions. I have learned that I need to hone up my map reading. telecomunication skills big time. There's so much to learn.

Am I right to assume that the 1 day of travelling from T.O. south could be extremely hairy. However, once you pass the snow belt area it's safe.

Any comments?

Make no assumptions . Specially this time of year . Weather can be unforgiving as far South as the gulf coast , with little warning .

It helps a great deal to be very familiar with national and local weather . Find a reputable site . I like :

https://www.wunderground.com/weather-radar/united-states/animated

That shows national patterns . Just click where you are on the map for a closer look and then on an even more localized radar site .

Goes around , comes around .

Welcome to the Escapee forums and to the club as well. It is great having you on board!

My ultimate goal is to get to Arizona for March, so I have a lot of time.

You didn't say where in Ontario you are starting so it is difficult to say just what the best route may be, but I'd tend to agree with the suggestion of south on I-35. From Thunder Bay to Oklahoma City is 1,800 miles (2896Km) and it could be winter all of the way to OK city or even farther.

Am I right to assume that the 1 day of travelling from T.O. south could be extremely hairy. However, once you pass the snow belt area it's safe.

You need to watch the weather closely until you get well past that point and even the part through to Holbrook, AZ could be nasty if the weather turns bad. You need to be prepared to stop and wait the weather out for a day or two if the worst happens as our interstate routes are seldom bad for more than a day or two, once a storm is over.

Do you plan to come on down to Tucson for the Escapade? If so make sure that you say hello when you get there!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I really like the One Stop Shop for Travelers computer program. It has so many tools I will not attempt to list them all. It includes current weather and road conditions + traffic cameras to view road conditions and traffic, road constructions, route planner, and much more.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Well, you have lots of great advice and lots of options!! I really think the best advice is to watch the weather and have some type of monitoring device on board or one you can access when you stop somewhere along the way. The good thing about our "winter" weather down here in north and central Tx is that it usually doesn't last long. If we get ice or snow it will usually be gone the next day. We have had a couple of 50 degree swings in the same day this year but we had lots of warning before hand. This morning is a typical winter day for us...in the 40's and rain...gloomy but beats the heck out of snow and ice!!!! Safe travels to you and let us know how the trip went!!

Greetings!

I totally agree with taking the Interstate Highways until you get to where it is warm! We are currently in Central Texas, east of Austin, Texas and it is raining so much I think we are growing webbed feet. Be careful until you get down south as in mny parts there is ice and snow. Make a note for next year, "LEAVE EARLY" say October or November!

In Southern Texas you will be surprised/happy to learn that there are MANY Canadians in Texas this time of your. Lots of people in the "Snow Belt" both in Canada and the USA tend to go pretty straight south, so you will meet many "down-homers" here.

The Natives here really appreciate our Northern visitors (yes, and their money) and I am SURE that you will receive a Great Welcome if you decide to come to Texas.

WELCOME!

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

Being from Minnesota we've made that drive south down I-35 many times but we always tried to leave by mid-October. Most northern campground close for the season then (or at least turn off their water system) so you aren't likely to be able to camp along the way. We've stayed at lots of Comfort Inns when our timing called for that but we drove a 24' motorhome most of our years out there so parking was not too big a challenge. I agree with the others who say the most important thing is to pay attention to the weather. Keep you rig winterized until you get at least down to I-40 and I-10 is better yet. If you take I-40 you still have to keep a very close watch on the weather. Once you get down to I-10 watching for wind becomes more important than watching for snow. Driving or towing something the size of a billboard is not fun in winds above 20 mph.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Thank you so much for the great advice and warm welcome. I'm from Toronto and I didn't plan to leave this late, stuff just happened (eg. moving, delay on vehicle order etc). I am planning on attending the Escape in Tucson, but first I'll need a couple of weeks of sun and heat, maybe even a swimming pool, to decompress from all the hard work. Any suggestions for a great inexpensive park, lots of sun and a swimming pool? I'll be coming down on I75, heard it's pretty good for winter driving.

My winter RV adventure begun in Buffalo, Monday Jan 22 at 7 am. Much to my surprise, the day turned out to be absolutely beautiful, 50+ and tons of sun. What a treat. Day 3 is looking pretty good in Williamsburg, KY as well. I heard it could go up to 60+ today in the region. Do I have horseshoes or what? Looks like I'm heading down to Florida for some sun, sand and sun.

Also keep a close eye on the weather as some of the thunder storms lately have been pretty violent. You don't want to be driving in them if you are not familiar with travel in such conditions. Travel safely and enjoy the trip!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived