Condensation problem

Ron

During certain winter weather conditions we sometimes find condensation on the walls inside the clothes closets of our TT. Does anyone know of a way to prevent the condensation or perhaps some practical way to prevent the clothes inside the closet from getting wet from the condensation?

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

It comes from the high humidity that tends to accumulate inside of an RV when closed up tight. It will help some if you keep a top vent opened just a tiny bit, open the bathroom vent when using the shower, be sure to always use the stove hood vent when cooking and other things of that nature.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You might want to check on the mattress where it hits the wall. With your heavy breathing :) that's a good place for moisture to gather. If it's a problem, move the mattress away from the wall a few inches during the day to let it dry out. We had the problem with a 5th wheel we had.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Damp Rid and leaving a vent cracker and a window cracked. Those will help alot, but you do need to use vent fans when cooking and bathing. Some folks will run a dehumidifier to get rid of the moisture.

Gary & Penny

2015 Lance 1172

2005 Chevy 3500

2013 Bass Tracker 190 Pro Team

We had 7 solid weeks of rain while on the Oregon coast this fall and by the time I realized what was happening we had a mildew problem inside of our cabinets. Humidity was very high the whole time. Next year we will have a humidifier.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

We had 7 solid weeks of rain while on the Oregon coast this fall and by the time I realized what was happening we had a mildew problem inside of our cabinets. Humidity was very high the whole time. Next year we will have a humidifier.

Sounds like you need a Dehumidifier , instead of a humidifier . Humidifier will increase the moisture level .

You could just run the AC . That will remove a lot of the humidity .

Goes around , comes around .

Sounds like you need a Dehumidifier , instead of a humidifier . Humidifier will increase the moisture level .

You could just run the AC . That will remove a lot of the humidity .

Yes you are right.........please excuse my brain f...t. :unsure:

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

My A/C Thermostat has a humidity sensor in it that (if enabled) will make it work as a dehumidifier.

But, I deal with the closet humidity by putting all of my piecemeal clothes in plastic shoeboxes that keep them from touching the walls. This allows for some amount of air circulation around in there just from opening and closing the door. I also make sure that whenever anyone is showering that the main bedroom roof vent is open. It is not powered but the normal heat rising from a hot shower will take a lot of it out the vent. I also occasionally wipe down the bedroom/bathroom ceiling and walls right after a shower with an old towel, just to help the process.

The mattress and pillows is a really important thing to not overlook. You can get some pretty bad mildew accumulating inside of them without noticing that it is growing back there. places where I see it has started, I wipe down with Peroxide solution to try to inhibit it from getting restarted too easily. Test it in inconspicuous places before using it all over, though. it does not tend to bleach out materials as bad as clorox but it can do some discoloration on some surfaces.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

We use Damp Rid in any small enclosed area like the closets, storage under the bed, under the dinette. Areas that don't get opened up much. Now my closet is no problem, but DH doesn't open his as much, so his has to have a Damp Rid in it. We have to change them about every couple of months.

Also wiping down the shower after use, hanging wet towels outside, all things that help.

Pat DeJong

I installed a fantastic fan in place of the shower sky light and have not had any humidity issues in last 2 years. This includes extended stays in Fl and N. Cal redwoods. It was pretty easy to install, basically a drop in installation with a wire to the shower light. We chose the base model, no remote or rain sensor or reverse needed. Typically we leave the fan run for 10 minutes after showering and also wipe down the shower walls, mostly to keep it clean.

Greg

Thanks to everyone for the tips and suggestions. Some of them I have been using already like the Damp Rid in the closets but several days of very cold weather with near 100% humidity just overwhelmed my usual precautions. I really like the idea of putting a fantastic vent fan in the bathroom and keeping some clothes in plastic boxes inside the closet. Thanks again to everyone.

---ron

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

My A/C Thermostat has a humidity sensor in it that (if enabled) will make it work as a dehumidifier.

All air conditioners/chilled air are also a dehumidifier. Chilled air was a byproduct from the invention of the early dehumidifier.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We use two of these small dehumidifiers...one in the front and one in the back bedroom along with using the vents and it took care of our problem. Got them from Amazon for around 40 bucks each.

Gurin DHMD-210 Electric Compact Dehumidifier

Some folks mod these to drain into the sink or similar. They drill a hole low in the dehumidifier's catch basin and friction fit or silicone in a bit of tubing.

I suppose if one was hardcore and did not drink from the freshwater tank one could drain into there. Reminiscent of the stillsuits in Dune.

--

2017 Promaster 159" , 570W mono, 220AH FLA

blog | RVwiki project

Some folks mod these to drain into the sink or similar. They drill a hole low in the dehumidifier's catch basin and friction fit or silicone in a bit of tubing.

I suppose if one was hardcore and did not drink from the freshwater tank one could drain into there. Reminiscent of the stillsuits in Dune.

The dehumidifiers that we use has a connection for a drain hose which can be used in place of the self-contained reservoir. We keep two of them in our home-base.

If you were to locate a dehumidifier permanently in an RV, it wouldn't be very difficult run a drain hose from it down through the floor and out the bottom to just drip on the ground outside. There could be some problem with the drain freezing up and blocking with ice in very cold weather if doing that.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The unit could be set in the sink or shower with no catch . Simply tilt the unit for decent drainage .

And , Dune ... an excellent read . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

This is a little late for some, but, when we ordered our current trailer (NuWa), we had the bedroom glass sliding doors replaced with wooden louvered doors, mainly for air circulation (and not having to look at old nekkid bodies). So far we have not had any evidence of moisture in the closet in 19 years. One could possibly find such doors at big box supply stores and since most are more narrow than the standard slider in RV's, join two together for each door. Require some work, but would solve moisture problem.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I just acquired a "new to me" 26 foot Rockwood lite 5er. Currently based in SW Floriduh, My rig is parked with out cover in the shadow of my shop (40 X 60 Ft.) If I can ever clear enough floor space, I'll move it inside. (fat chance)

I'm working on a 14 X 60 shed roof to keep the sun off mostly. Right now I'm having condensation problems.

(Yes, even in winter, in the tropics, we have high humidity and 35 degree temp swings daily)

I want to rum a dehumidifier full time, even when I get 'er under cover. Can you folks help me size and select the most efficient unit? I'll figure the inside volume of the box soon as I'm sure it would help to know the total volume to be processed.

Thanks, Paul

If it turns $$$$$$$ dollars into smoke and noise, I'm there.

Well, I was surprised, the total volume of my 26 foot 5er is only 1640 cubic feet. With the side slide out, it feels big enough to ball room dance. (OK, not really, I'm way too clumsy)

Seems to me that a dehumidifier sized for around 2000 cuft, rated at 50 pints per day, should be just the ticket. Any suggested makes or models? Experiences?

Thanks, Paul

If it turns $$$$$$$ dollars into smoke and noise, I'm there.

Archived