Roof Armor

Circ

Since Continental/Forks is not taking any new orders, it looks like I may be using my super 'high end' Cougar for a little longer than anticipated. I have a bunch of staples from the superior construction techniques employed at Keystone that are pushing the EPDM up about 3/4". I suspect eventually they will break through (soon), at which time I will remove them and seal the holes with lap sealant. Then need to decide on a protective roof coating. I did not want to hijack one of the other roof threads and nothing comes up under "Roof Armor" in the search engine. Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this product? At this point my options are: 1) New EPDM @ $6k (local estimate), 2) Rhino Lining @$4500-Love this product in my dodge truck beds, 3)Roof Armor $?? or 4) Fix holes with lap seal while waiting for Continental to come back to life-sketchy at best on both fronts. I am thinking a 2nd protective layer would be in my best interest for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the brilliant design of no transition piece from roof to sidewall leaving not one but TWO exposed sharp edges from the OSB or plywood underneath. Our next trailer will have a fiberglass roof-Non negotiable!

Circ & Cindi Toepel

2015 Volvo 730 Niki (for our daughter who didn't make it)

Cougar SRX with side ramp access to garage

Coming soon....42' Forks Continental

In speculation I would guess the staples are meant to hold something in place so I wonder about the wisdom of pulling them without replacing them. I have somewhat of the same issue and it is frustrating now that my roof is almost 20 years oldl. I was concerned about them since 1999. My roof is on its last legs and I am facing repairing or replacing. You are the one looking at yours so your judgement is best and I just wanted to make sure you were thinking about what would possibly pulling them.

Thanks bigjim but I did intend to install some screws to help hold my trailer together before I re-do the roof. I do not think my trailer will self destruct with 3 or 4 staples missing but ???? When I actually am forced to do the fix/work, I may even install a layer of fiberglass on the seam to protect against further staples popping. Depends on how bad it looks when I get in there.

Circ & Cindi Toepel

2015 Volvo 730 Niki (for our daughter who didn't make it)

Cougar SRX with side ramp access to garage

Coming soon....42' Forks Continental

My 1999 King of the Road is ready for a new roof solution. I plan to get the RV Flex Armor lifetime roof done this month. The problem with the Rhino flex solutions is that it become hard with age and does not flex with the RV, causing long term cracks to develop. RV Flex armor stays flexible but has the same or better toughness as the Rhinoflex solution.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Talked to Roof Armor last week was quoted $4550 to do the roof no slideout tops.Rv Flex Armor quoted me $6300 no slideout tops.

started researching went to Dicor website watched some videos.I can order the Rv liquid Rubber 7 gallons for under $550 plus the cost of the other things I need.I have decided to do it myself.I could even hire a helper at $10 hr do 3 slideout tops and be way ahead of what they want to charge me to do it.

I have mentioned before that I have done a BUNCH of RV roofs with different products. As to the OP and the staple issue, well with all the miles that your coach has travelled, it isnt a surprise that the staples are working their way loose and are starting to work their way up. And as to fiberglass roofs, well they have their own issues over time. I have a 10+ year old 5er with a fiberglass roof and I will be using an elastomeric over it, as it wont last forever either, but I do want it to be leakfree for the time I own it.

If you search RV roofs there should be some info and even some instructions about how to do one successfully. It isnt a hard job, but it does take ALOT of prep for a successful job. And some people dont like standing/bending on their roof for 3 or so days to do their roof, so they use a company to do it. Its your call based on your circumstances. There are many products out there that are good but I will say DONT EVER USE WATER BASED ROOF PRODUCTS ON AN RV ROOF. They dont like each other and will peel off esp when driving down the road. It is quite a sight to see.

Enjoy the journey and esp enjoy the end results of a leak free roof that will last you for a number of years to come.

Marcel

We had RV Armor coat our roof in October 2015 while in FL and two of our RV friends also had them redo their roofs. The coating started to peel back a small amount in a few location but RV Armor came back to us in MI and AL and the last time recoated the entire roof and we have experienced no further

problems. Our friends had no problems. RV Armor's warranty response was very good. The cause was

probably either the roof wasn't quite dry or was dirty. We chose RV Armor over RV Flex Armor because

RV Armor (confusing because the name are similar) was about $2K less, they came to us, we could stay in

RV while the work was done and at the time they did coat our slide roofs too.

The installer spent over a half day cleaning and prepping the roof so if you do your own work be very

sure you prep it correctly. Do a search on RV Armor and you will find more info, here's one:

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=119122&hl=armor

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

We had RV Armor coat our roof in October 2015 while in FL and two of our RV friends also had them redo their roofs. The coating started to peel back a small amount in a few location but RV Armor came back to us in MI and AL and the last time recoated the entire roof and we have experienced no further

problems. Our friends had no problems. RV Armor's warranty response was very good. The cause was

probably either the roof wasn't quite dry or was dirty. We chose RV Armor over RV Flex Armor because

RV Armor (confusing because the name are similar) was about $2K less, they came to us, we could stay in

RV while the work was done and at the time they did coat our slide roofs too.

The installer spent over a half day cleaning and prepping the roof so if you do your own work be very

sure you prep it correctly. Do a search on RV Armor and you will find more info, here's one:

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=119122&hl=armor

Did RV Armor replace any damaged sheathing or wood? Replace any roof vents or other Roof facilities?

RV Flex armor is a spray on coating that sets in 6 seconds so it won't run on vertical surfaces.They also put on maxx air vent hoods over all openable roof air vents.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

The roofs wood base and framing was good and needed no repairs, the installer checked that first. I

supplied new MaxAir vent covers and he used them to replace the old ones. Nothing else was replaced

after checking. RV Armor is applied by brush and roller, the thicker stuff around penetrations was

applied by small trowels. Greg

http://rv-armor.com/index.html

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Archived