Looking forward

NoDirectionHome

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

I would love to see some honest numbers on things like how much energy does it take to make a gallon or 10,000 btu equivilents or whatever comparison standard is to be used. As an example it is pretty well understood that ethanol production is not nearly as energy efficient as we were led to believe. Hydrogen is another great fuel if it didn't take more energy to produce it than it is capable of producing, a net loss.

How much of this stuff is locked up in the land fills of the world? Enough to run 100 vehicles, a 1000 or what?

But glad to see Mack on top of it. NYC has always been a huge market for them. Too bad Mack shut down the firetruck line in Macungie some years ago.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Those are both great points and I'd like to know more detail as well. The most attractive benefit being elimination of the after treatment and no CO. As I'm sure Jeff lives everyday, total cost of ownership over the life of the vehicle is what really matters.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

The opponents of ethanol and bio-diesel conveniently forget that most of the feed value of the original grain is still available. Dried Distillers Grains are a huge part of the value of the industry. Even better is when there are feed lots nearby who can take the grain without drying, saving a lot of heat energy.

I might also point out that ethanol, in this country, is blended not because it's a cheap source of btu's, but rather as a way to get more oxygen into the fuel for a cleaner burn, and as an added benefit, also raise the octane.

I use about 3 gallons of fuel to raise 200 bushels of corn. Each bushel can make about 2.8 gallons of ethanol, and 17 pounds of distiller's grain. Someone misplaced a decimal.............

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Then ALL government subsidies for the ethanol industry should be dropped immediately, including mandates to make me burn this destructive garbage.

If it's so great, let it stand on it's own.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

There are no subsidies for ethanol, and haven't been for a long time, only a lower tax. And if there were another way to keep emissions down, and power up, I'd be for it. I don't believe there are mandates to use ethanol, but there are requirements to meet oxygen content in gasoline in many markets. As for being destructive, it can cause issues on older equipment. I have several old motorcycles, with many old carburetors(25+), and haven't had many problems.

I believe we've drifted a bit off topic, so I propose we get back to our regularly scheduled program.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived